I finally went to an allergist yesterday and I'm trying to wrap my head around the results. I'm hoping you wise people of Reddit can help.
Background: I'm pretty sure I have an adult-onset allergy to shrimp. I very rarely ate seafood before and now completely avoid it. In the last 4 years I've had two episodes where I got itchy, flushed, hoarse and started coughing while eating out, and then realized that there was hidden shrimp in the food I had eaten. In both cases, immediately taking Benadryl stopped the reaction from getting worse. There have been a couple more episodes that are less easy to pin point - one involved Thai fish sauce (no shellfish on the label) and the other dim sum that was supposedly vegetarian. I also have a family history of adult-onset shellfish allergy, including my brother. My regular doctor and the allergist both agreed that this sounded like the beginnings of anaphylaxis and that it was probably shrimp.
Dilemma: Yesterday, the allergist did a skin prick test for all shellfish and a variety of fish and it all came back negative (crab and tuna had 4 mm flares but no wheals). She also ordered blood work - ImmunoCAP for shrimp and Tryptase (mature and total) - and sent in a prescription for EpiPen.
I don't know what to think. She still seems to believe it was anaphylaxis, hence the EpiPens, but everything I read says that the skin prick tests have a low false negative rate and that it is highly sensitive to shellfish. However, I wonder if there was a technique issue with the test. The positive control had not reacted after 5 minutes so the nurse had to repeat it. If the one spot that was supposed to react originally did nothing, should I trust the results of the skin prick test? The allergist brushed off the question and said that she could see puncture marks so it must have been done correctly, but the initial positive control didn't feel different than the rest of the test.
My other concern is the blood test for Tryptase. The fact sheet I found for the test says that it's used to confirm anaphylaxis and that Tryptase has a half life of 2 hours (so the test is useless more than 6 hours after anaphylaxis). So why order it now? There is no reason to believe that I have anything more than a food allergy.
I'm not sure what to do. Looking for a different allergist feels like doctor shopping - I should be happy for negative results! - but I'm also afraid of staying with this one and getting a diagnosis that is inaccurate. Even if she secretly doesn't trust the skin prick results, my medical records now include the negative tests. And I'm worried the blood test is a fishing expedition for a "cause" and that ambiguous results might lead to a bunch of other unnecessary tests and potentially a wrong diagnosis.
My boyfriend has finally agreed to let me make him dinner. Up until this point in our dating (it's still a relatively new relationship) everything has been food free due to his allergies but he's finally agreed to letting me cook for him so yay.
He's highly allergic (anaphylactic shock level for most of his allergens)to quite a few things (soy, sesame, eggs, gluten, peanuts, tree nuts) and feels bad about the hassle that it's going to be for me cooking for him. First off how do I make him realize that he shouldn't feel bad about it? I was well aware of his allergies when we started dating and while I admit it is challenging (since I am allergy) right now, it's not a deal breaker. I just don't want him to feel like he's messing anything up by having so many dietary restrictions.
Second what precautions do I need to take? I'll be making dinner for him on Friday and we went to the grocery store together today where he allowed me to attempt to pick out all the ingredients I wanted to use (keeping his allergens in mind) and he double checked that everything is safe for him so I know that the food itself is technically safe. More so what I am concerned with is that I still somewhat regularly eat a lot of his allergens and I want to minimize cross contamination triggering a response (if that's a thing?). He told me as long as everything is clean that it would be safe but I still am a bit worried. Do I need to wash things differently? How can I know whether something is truly scrubbed clean of allergens?
Any other suggestions in this journey would be great. I am still learning a lot and feel bad because I constantly am bombarding him with questions heh
I've developed an allergy to something, it causes a red rash on my chest. I thought it was peanuts, so I fasted for a day and then ate spoonfuls of peanut butter to get the reaction. Nothing. Today I was at 5 guys and casually eating peanuts and nothing else and my chest starts to tingle. Is there a significant difference between peanuts and peanut butter?
So I’ve recently developed around 20-30 new food allergies, I’ve never had them before so this is all new to me, and I have a bit of an unusual question I haven’t gotten the courage to ask my doctor yet. Can allergens be passed into semen? I know it seems silly, but I know of one documented case of it happening but is that super rare? I’m concerned about reacting to my partner’s semen if swallowed if they’ve eaten any of my allergens through proteins being transfered. Also how do you handle kissing with your partner? With so many allergies I can’t expect them to not eat them so is there a certain amount of time you wait, or brush teeth, etc? Thank you, and sorry for a bit of an awkward question.
Preface this by saying that I am allergy free so am rather stupid/naive when it comes to allergies so my apologies in advance.
Me and a friend have recently started dating. He is highly allergic to many things (soy, nuts, peanuts, canola ,sesame and egg are all of the food ones to my knowledge). When we were just friends it wasn't a big issue because he doesn't mind if people eat foods in front if him that he can't eat and just knows how to handle the allergy himself.
We were discussing his allergy last night after a date to help determine things that I need to be careful of (for example if I use a coconut lotion is that going to harm him if i hold his hand?) He also has never had any dating/physical intimacy experience before so really had no clue of the extent of precautions we should be taking. He told me of those age-old allergy tales where a guy with peanut allergies died after making out with a girl who had eaten peanuts but he doesn't know to what extent we need to take precautions on this(so we haven't reached this point if intimacy in our dating yet). For example do I have to avoid his allergens for days or just brush my teeth?
Ideally I'm trying to make adjustments to minimize the presence of his allrgens in my life to make things easier but I'll admit it's difficult. Does anyone have any tips on this? I'm so new to it all that I also am struggling especially with the soy one since soy takes so many forms.
Also are there any good delicious alternatives to nut butters? I love Nut butter so much so I'm finding it hard to cut it
my 2yo little is allergic to milk, wheat, egg and peanuts. im trying to figure out her reations/symptoms to the correct allergen. anyone have ideas? i kinda know what the wheat one is but i dont know exactly if i should or generally be warey. i ask because she ended up having an anaphalxic reaction to a piece of food that had wheat, egg and milk in it. epi pen was used.
So I recently took an allergy test at my lab and they said I was allergic to Cow's Milk.
I haven't been drinking Milk since I was very young (I'm 28 btw) because it always made me gassy and just kind of upset my stomach in general. That said, I've been eating cheeses and yogurts my entire life and never felt like they were doing anything bad to me. Same with junk foods (cookies, cake etc.) I mean obviously after too much I'll feel sick but I never had even minorly bad symptoms when having these things.
So my question is, despite what the test results say, is it ok for me to keep having those dairy products or are they doing something bad to my body that I'll feel later on? On top of that, since my allergy is clearly minor, is it better to keep taking milk products to build up resistance?