For great results and problem free indoor growing of your favourite crops, monitoring the ambient temperature of your grow room at all times is vital - BUT monitoring the actual Leaf Surface Temperature or LST, will ensure further that you have only healthy plants and larger yields come harvest time!
The number one tool required to assist you in monitoring your grow room ambient temperature is the Digital Combo Hygrometer with Probe. This simply but effective must have tool provides and records the highest and lowest grow room temperatures inside/outside and also the relative humidity. For further analysis of your grow room ambient temperature the AirComfort Wireless Temperature Humidity Sensor will record 100 days of information measuring humidity and temperature at regular intervals, which sent via blue tooth to your mobile phone - plus you can even export the recorded data.
So why bother with plant Leaf Surface Temperature ?
Obtaining the ambient temperature is vital as mention but - this only tells you the statistics for the room or tent - and not the plant. Gathering your plants LST is like having you temperature taken using an under the tongue thermometer - which as we know is the accurate way to obtain our internal body temperature.
Your plants LST will never be equivalent to the grow room environment, this is because leaves can be cooled via evaporation which occurs when the open pores of the leaf (stomata) are warmed up by any source of unused light both artificial and natural.
How do I obtain the Leaf Surface Temperature ?
The GrowGadgets Laser Thermometer - will allow you to monitor your plants LST and ensure you are encouraging photosynthesis. By targeting the Laser beam at canopy leaf level to obtain an accurate temperature reading. Remember the optimal range for photosynthesis to occur is between 15 °C and 30 °C (59 °F to 86 °F) - outside of this range will cause you issues and stress your plants - at some point.
Aiming for a leaf surface temperature between 25 °C and 27 °C - will be ideal for the majority of flowering plants - but this will vary for different plant types and species - therefore you will have to experiment with your plants in your growing environment.
Once you have gauged the best LST for your plants and flowers - you are well and truly dialled in to your plants and their environment and moving forward your yields will be larger and plants will be healthier developing quicker in all stages of growth.
So if your striving for indoor garden success for 2019 and beyond then investing in the above three products - will be the most worthy investments you can make without breaking the bank - not to mention you can eliminate any previous guess work - as you will now have accurate data to work with, which will make it easier to prevent and avoid problems that develop related to temperature - such as the classic - powder mildrew, mold and rot - which no grower wants to have to face....
I thought it's a good time to mention some of the most important tools & gadgets - that will assist you to maintain ideal temperatures in your grow room environment. These tools won't break the bank and are worthy additions at Hydrohobby hydroponics. With Christmas around the corner – it’s time to drop some hints :) ….
1. Lighthouse Wireless Thermostat - our latest addition is this small but smart device is modestly priced at £27.95, this clever device will enable you to preset temperatures that will that active your cooling equipment or heaters.
2. AirComfort – When it comes to hydro tech look no further – assisting you to remained dialled into your grow room environment, the AirComfort will keep you informed on the temperature and humidity via Bluetooth to your mobile phone. You can export data and operate multiple AirComforts on one handset - allowing to operate AirComforts devices at different levels and or in multiple grow rooms or tents.
3. Temperature control is vital in the growing environment, you need to look after those roots and avoid pathogens, moulds and fungi - caused by cool lights off temps! For a cost-effective solution, the Lighthouse 1kw & 2kw Oil Filled Radiator will keep your plants roots happy, ensuring they don’t have to struggle with temperatures less than 10-15°F (5-7°C) - when grow lights are off.
4. If you’re feeding your plants without checking the EC using the Bluelab Truncheon - then this needs to be on the top of your list! Sometimes customers have issues in different stages of their plants development - and when asked what EC is their tap water, or the nutrient feed solution they are feeding their plants – they are unaware. * Find out more about the importance of EC in my previous blog post here.
5. For 100% success in your indoor grow environment - the more tuned in your are to your plants growing environment - the better. If you aware of Vapor Pressure Deficit (VPD) or the importance of plant leaf temperature, then our next tool the GrowGadgets Laser Thermometer - will assist you to grow your produce to its full potential. Modestly priced at £19.95 - the Laser Thermometer tool is a no-brainer helping any grower ensure temperatures are within ranges for success. Find out more in my previous article covering: The Importance of VPD.
As I mentioned at the start - these tools won't break the bank, but when used correctly - they will enable you to obtain those larger yields that every grower strives for!
With over 15 years in the hydroponic industry - our Grow Room Tools range is extensive - and includes books from author Rich Hamilton writer of The Growers Guide Series which cover all elements of growing in DWC, Coco Coir & Soil and Organics - worthy additions to any growers bookshelf - providing up to date easy to follow information and guidance to bring you success!
Next week we will take a look at the new Nutrient Boosters that have arrived at Hydrohobby hydroponics in 2018...
It has been some time since we spoke about hydroponic lighting systems, but the DLI Joule Series 1000w DE Grow Light - is definitely worth a mention. For any grower not familiar with 400v Lighting System check my previous post here.
So your thinking there's many 400V Lighting Systems out there, so what makes the DLI Joule Series 1000w DE Grow Light so special? To understand this let us take a brief look at who Dutch Lighting Innovation are....
The company has firm connections with the Philips Lighting company historically, once Phillips decided to stop producing grow lighting fixtures - business partners Pepijn Looijaard and Ton ten Haaf started up DLI (Dutch Lighting Innovations).
Why you should consider DLI Grow Lights?
DLI offer home growers the chance to produce crops and yields usual associated with greenhouse growing. Modern in design and with an extra low profile ballast housing and improved heat sink this light is built with the home grower in mind - featuring an inbuilt spirit level to ensure even light spread. Offering a dimmable light switch allowing you to run lights at: 600, 750, 825, 1000 or 1150 watts, plus the ability to further automate your grow room environment by adding the optional DLM-4 Zone Controller which can be connected to up to 4 separate zones of DLI lighting fixtures!
The DLI Open Reflector
The DLI Open Reflector is the result of over 10 years of research, constructed electrochemically brightened aluminium which has then been given an adonised coat, making it super abrasion proof. Providing a uniform 180cm x 120cm light projection it's possible to provide a total reflectance at all wavelengths from 400 to 700nm. This means your plants will receive an excellent PAR rendition - and you get the maximum results from the 1000W DE Horticulture Plus Lamp. The lamp is specifically designed for the DLI Joule Lighting Series and encourages prolific growth providing enhanced red and blue using an exclusive spectrum. Always thinking out the box DLI have made it simple for the grower to change the light beam angle to match your grow room - by simply removing small parts from the reflector - this will ensure no light is wasted on grow room walls and no more hot spots.
So when it comes to selecting your next grow light fixture - headroom and space permitting - the DLI Joule Series 1000w DE Grow Light is a great consideration for any serious grower looking for a solid grow light investment.