Follow Go Study Australia on Feedspot

Continue with Google
Continue with Facebook

If you are thinking about finding the right path to stay longer on your own, this article is for you.

Please note that everyone’s pathway is different, and you will need to talk to a registered migration agent to give you personalised advice. Contact Go Study and we can set you up with one of our trusted migration partners to get you started.

Can you get the highly desired permanent resident visa? Is it easier to find a pathway with a student visa?

All of these visa related questions are common between travellers, student visa holders and migrants in general. This is why we created the Ultimate Guide for Visas in Australia, so you can choose the most suitable option and keep enjoying this beautiful country. 

We have compiled a list of popular visas that you can get in order to stay longer in Australia, from the Student visa to the Partner visa. We will outline the cost, length, processing time, requirements, restrictions, pros and cons, and alternatives. But before that we will answer the most common questions regarding visas.:

What kind of visas are there for Australia?

There are many types of visas and they are grouped in these categories:

• Visitor visas
• Studying and training visas
• Family and partner visas
• Working and skilled visas
• Refugee and humanitarian visas
• Other visas
• Repealed visas

You can check the entire list here: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/gettinga-visa/visa-listing

How do I get an Australian visa?

All passport holders who are not Australian or New Zealand citizens must apply for a visa. You can apply for most visas online. Some of the requirements you will need to fulfil include:

• Evidence of sufficient funds
• Skills and qualification assessments
• Health insurance
• Police checks
• English proficiency

Some visas also require you to have an Australian bank account already opened.

How much does an Australian visa costs?

The government fees for a visa application range in price, depending on your own personal circumstances and the subclass of visa you are applying for. The total government fee can be anything from AU$285 for training visa to over AU$3,000 for some skilled visas. An Australian student visa costs $606 and a working holiday visa costs $450.

Prices are subject to change. You can use the official visa cost calculator here: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/visa-pricingestimator

How many years does an Australian visa last?

The duration of the visa depends on the subclass. The length varies from 3 Months to 5 years, some visas may lead to a permanent stay.

These are the most common visa types and their duration:

• Student Visa – Up to 5 years
• Working holiday and Work and Holiday – 1 year
• Partner Visa – Permanent
• Employer Sponsorship – Up to 4 years
• Skilled visa – Up to 4 years or permanent
• Temporary Graduate visa – Up to 4 years

What are the requirements for a student visa in Australia?

We have listed a few of the basic requirements that are necessary to study in Australia. A prospective student must prove they are a Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) and generally must provide:

• Prior to an Australian student visa application, an applicant must receive Confirmation of Enrollment from the school or university. 
• Prove English Proficiency undertaking specific tests such as IELTS, TOEFL or CAE for vocational or higher education courses.
• A Statement of Purpose as to why they wish to study in Australia. 
• Health Checks depending on your country of origin or residence. 
• Evidence of Financial Capacity to support yourself in Australia. 
• Acceptable Overseas Student Health Cover(OSHC).

Go Study provides FREE expert support in navigating the student visa process. Contact us today if you need assistance in getting your application submitted.

How much does a student visa cost in Australia?

The current fees charged by the Australian Government in order to apply for a Student Visa (Subclass 500) are set to $606 AUD. The price is always the same no matter the length of your studies. If you extend your student visa inside Australia you will pay the base fee of $606 plus a $700 extension fee for consecutive applications. So its best to consider booking a group of courses up front if you think you may wish to study for a long time. This will help avoid visa extension fees.

Can you work on a student visa in Australia?

Once your course has commenced, you are permitted to work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight when your course is in session and unlimited hours when your course is out of session. You cannot work until you have commenced your course in Australia, provided your visa has been granted.

How long does it take to get a student visa Australia?

The average processing time for a student visa in Australia is 1 to 4 weeks, but depending on various factors it can take up to 2 months. Many students from Go Study have their visas approved within a matter of hours.

What is the skilled occupation list?

The skilled occupation list is a list published by the Australian Government containing all the occupations that can make a traveller or a student visa holder a qualified person to work or train in an eligible skilled occupation in order to get a specific skilled visa. This list is used to determine which occupations may be eligible for visas that allow the applicant to live and work in Australia for long periods of time and even permanently.

These visas are available to individuals who are qualified to work or train in an eligible skilled occupation in Australia and can meet all other requirements. The skilled occupation lists are
updated every 6 months.

What is a skilled migration visa?

A skilled migration visa allows skilled people to work and live in Australia. It is a points-based system and is the most popular visa application pathway for skilled workers. SkillSelect allows you to apply for a permanent Australian visa, such as a Skilled Independent Visa subclass 189.

What is MLTSSL and what is the STSOL?

MLTSSL is the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) and is a list that contains all the occupations eligible for long working visas that might lead to permanent residency. STSOL is the Short-term Skilled Occupation List which contains skills and occupations that can lead to short term working visas (generally 2 years with a 2-year extension). In order to get the approval for these lists workers need to prove their skill set and their profession needs to meet the requirements of the job classifications.

What is a skilled job?

Skilled jobs are those who are linked to the occupations listed in the Skilled occupation list as defined by ANZSCO. These jobs are intended for any worker who has special skill, training, knowledge, and (usually acquired) ability in their work. A skilled worker may have attended a college, university or technical school; or a skilled worker may have learned their skills on the job. If you intend to go for a skilled job pathway, you will need to ensure your educational background matches the requirement under ANZSCO classification. Upon advice from a qualified migration agent, Go Study will be able to help you find the most appropriate course and college.

Download our Free eBook

Now that you know a little bit more about the basics, you are ready to go visa-picking and choose the right option for you.

The Ultimate Guide for visas

Learn about costs, duration, processing times, requirements, and pros & cons for 15 different visas to stay in Australia as much as you want!

If you want to stay longer on a student visa without the struggle of doing it by yourself, Contact us and an expert advisor will support you for free during the entire process.

The post The Ultimate Guide For Visas In Australia appeared first on Go Study Australia.

  • Show original
  • .
  • Share
  • .
  • Favorite
  • .
  • Email
  • .
  • Add Tags 

A working holiday subclass 417 visa to Australia is specially designed for young travellers who are seeking an extended holiday in Australia, with the benefit of limited work and study rights. As a working holiday visa holder, you can spend 12 months in Australia from the date of your first entry. You can then apply for a second year Working Holiday visa to extend your stay by a further 12 months if you meet specified requirements. From 1 July 2019, eligible applicants can also commence performing specified work to enable them to apply for a third year working holiday visa (as discussed below). This means that you could potentially reside in Australia for up to 3 years on a working holiday visa if you satisfy prescribed requirements.

Read on to find out all you need to know about a working holiday subclass 417 visa to Australia. Are you eligible for a Working Holiday subclass 417 visa to Australia?

To qualify for a first year Working Holiday subclass 417 visa, you must:

  • Hold an eligible passport;
  • Be aged between 18 and 30 years (inclusive) at time of application. If you are a Canadian or Irish citizen, you will be subject to a higher maximum age limit of 35;
  • Intend to temporarily stay in Australia as a genuine visitor, with your primary purpose being to have a holiday;
  • Demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to cover your personal expenses for the first 3 months of your stay in Australia (minimum of $5,000) and for your departure fare;
  • Have a reasonable prospect of securing employment in Australia;
  • Have a good immigration record; and
  • Health and character criteria.

How can you apply for a Working Holiday subclass 417 visa?

You must lodge your application online and attach all required supporting documents. The visa lodgement fee is $450 payable at time of application. You must be outside Australia if you are applying for your first year Working Holiday visa. To apply for your second or third year working holiday visa, you can be onshore or outside Australia (subject to prescribed requirements).

How can you qualify for a second year Working Holiday subclass 417 visa to Australia?

Among the key requirements to be satisfied, you must demonstrate that you have completed paid specified work in a designated area in regional Australia for at least 3 months full-time equivalent (88 calendar days) whilst you held your first year Working Holiday subclass 417 visa (on a full-time, part-time or casual basis).

Other requirements include continuing to hold an eligible passport, satisfying the age-based limit at time of application (the same as for the first year Working Holiday visa) and having complied with the conditions on your first year Working Holiday visa.

How can you qualify for a third year Working Holiday subclass 417 visa to Australia?

A key requirement to qualify for a third year Working Holiday visa is the completion of an additional 6 months of specified work in a designated area of regional Australia during the period when you held your second year Work and Holiday maker visa (or an eligible Bridging Visa).

What can you do in Australia as a Working Holiday subclass 417 visa holder?

On each Working Holiday visa that you hold, you can work for the same employer for up to 6 months (you can apply to have this visa condition waived in certain circumstances). Under changes recently announced, this period will be extended to 12 months if you perform agricultural work (plant and animal cultivation) for an agricultural employer. You can also undertake study or training for up to 4 months on each Working Holiday visa.

You are free to travel anywhere in Australia and are not restricted to where you can live and work. You can also enter and depart Australia as many times as you like as a Working Holiday visa holder.

Can you bring family members with you to Australia?

No, you cannot include family members in your application for a Working Holiday visa (e.g. your spouse). Family members seeking to travel to Australia will need to separately apply for a visa (if eligible). You are also unable to be accompanied to Australia by any dependent children.

Constantine Paxinos is a Registered Migration Agent and Chartered Accountant. He is a director of PAX Migration Australia, a leading, award-winning immigration agency based in Adelaide, South Australia. He has worked closely with international students for the last 5 years and has assisted hundreds of students with graduate and permanent visa pathways and is an active advocate for growing international students.

The post All you need to know about working holiday visa appeared first on Go Study Australia.

  • Show original
  • .
  • Share
  • .
  • Favorite
  • .
  • Email
  • .
  • Add Tags 

Today, the famous quest of the “88 days of farm work” is one of the key concerns for every backpacker in Australia as it allows you to stay an extra year on your Australian Working Holiday Visa.

But recent problems with farm work and how it is calculated have made this option far less attractive than it used to be. This document is a MUST READ for every working holiday maker so you can enter into farm work with a clear understanding of the benefits and many problems.Working Holiday Visa Overview:

  • What type of farm work is suitable?
  • Why is 88 days?
  • How is it calculated?
  • How is it recorded and tracked?

The most essential requirement to qualify for the second Working Holiday Visa (subclass 417) is to complete three months – or 88 days to be exact – of regional farm work in the country and in specific jobs such as fruit picking and packing, trimming vines, fishing, working in tree farming, or working in mining…

Fact: 88 days is the combined length of the shortest three-month period.

Farm days are counted differently if you work full-time or part-time and you don’t need to do your three months’ work all in one go, or all with one employer.→ If you work full-time (35-40 hours a week, depending on what industry you are in), the 88 days includes your days off.

For example: working seven hours a day for five days a week can be counted as seven visa days (you’re doing 35 hours a week).

→ If you work part-time or casual, only work days are counted.

For example: working eight hours a day for four days is counted as four visa days (you’re doing 32 hours a week instead of 35 hours minimum as required).

BE CAREFUL: For your farm work to be eligible, you must at least earn $17.70 per hour (minimum legal wage before tax), even when you’re being paid per kilogram. If this is not possible, then your work may not qualify for the second-year visa and you should seek employment elsewhere.

One important thing is that you need to keep all of your receipts and payslips. In fact, your payslips are key. They will provide evidence of work done, count your days and confirm payment has been received. It’s ESSENTIAL.

Don’t forget to make sure your employer is legit by giving your Tax File Number and receiving their Tax File Number.

If you need more info about the 417 Visa, we invite you to consult the official website of the Australian Department of Home Affairs

What’s hiding behind this type of work? What should backpackers be aware of?

Upon first glance, it sounds pretty fair and achievable. However, according to reports of young workers, they address a list of problems that often comes with a farm experience such as:

  • Routine underpayment: employers can take advantage of you by not paying you the correct wage/working hours or fix an unreasonable rate of pay.
  • Financial exploitation (E.g.: asking you to pay a deposit to hold your position or asking to stay and pay for accommodation while they promise you a position will be available soon…).
  • Hard Manual Labour picking heavy fruits like watermelons can be backbreaking labour. Even small fruits like strawberries mean you are crouching and hunched over for 8 hours a day.
  • Bad living conditions with crowding backpackers, who are all waiting for a position into hostels (E.g: inadequate number of bathrooms, mice running in bedrooms…).
  • and sexual harassment. Be careful to research your intended farm to ensure all staff have been treated with respect and dignity.

Sources: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-18/how-88-days-can-turn-into-a-nightmare-of-debt-and-despair/8716564


https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/at-work/new-documentary-exposes-dark-side-of-backpacking-farm-work-in-australia/news-story/8cb005cd098a8184787ff5a30c23a7feBackpackers must keep in mind that farm work, by its nature, is very season-dependent and often somewhat unreliable. If the weather is bad, you might get some unexpected days off. Sometimes the season starts unusually late or finishes unusually early.

That’s why a lot of workers are forced to work over the 88 days required. If the weather is bad your 88 days may stretch out to over 4, 5 or 6 months, which is terrible given you have a 1-year visa. If you work part-time must have in mind that you will probably have to multiply your time commitment by two.

What most would expect to just be three months on farm work, often turns into five to six months of farm work in a nightmare situation. Plan for unexpected circumstances – Australia weather can often be unpredictable!

Despite these hiding issues with farm work, many WHV holders have reported positive experiences and have gained new friendships along the way. It’s also the opportunity to experience something different and quite unique in Oz.  

Here are a few steps to ensure a safe experience:

  • Don’t pay to find a farm job.
  • Don’t pay for any accommodation or transport unless you know you have work.
  • Get all of your agreements (pay, working hours, starting/end date, equipment…) in writing before you start, so the employer can’t take advantage of you.
  • You are not alone. If you meet any of those issues above, visit the Fair Work website and contact them if you need.
  • Australia is a huge country with various landscapes and weather conditions. Before you start looking for a fruit picking/packing job, you must determine where and when it’s best to go, to maximise your chances of finding an available job. Check out and download the National Harvest Guide of Australia

Following all of these realities, it’s important to think about other options to stay in Australia instead of trying to get your 88 days of farm work.

The answer to this is simple: the STUDENT VISA. Backpackers and people who are travelling Australia are passing up this great opportunity to live down under.

Indeed, the student visa has multiple benefits and can be your perfect solution to live, work and grow your career in Australia in Australia. It allows you to study an English or professional course (E.g.: business, marketing, hospitality, childcare, fitness…) for more than three months in Australia.

Here we show you five reasons why you should consider applying for a Student Visa instead of a Working Holiday Visa:

N°1:  The Student Visa is open to EVERYONE with NO LIMIT AGE.

N°2: The Student Visa allows you to work up to 20 hours per week. During holidays, you are allowed to work full time, which means up to 40 hours per week.

Thanks to that, you can finance your studies, your accommodation and save money for your future road trips…

N°3: Your Student Visa is valid as long as you study in Australia. In other words, enrolling in a course that goes for two years guarantees you to stay in Australia for two years. How amazing is that?  Some people study for 5 or more years by packaging courses together on 1 single visa.

N°4:  It’s a superb opportunity to pimp out your CV and add in an international experience. Nowadays, many employers are looking for new talents who have an international experience and with a pretty good English!

Take advantage to be in Australia to improve your skills in the field you want, or to specialise in a certain area/ industry. Or even more, maybe it’s time to learn what you’ve always wanted to learn!

N°5:  If you want to go on holidays, you can! You can leave or enter the country whenever you like with a Student Visa.

N°6:  You don’t have to live in an isolated area and do backbreaking labour for a tiny wage. Instead, you can find a great job in the big cities and enjoy all the benefits of modern Australia.

Note: Cost of Student Visa is $575 AUD.

Would you like more information about the Student Visa? Don’t hesitate to contact us using the form below. We are specialised in education in Australia and ready to help you, wherever you are in the world!

Our expert counsellors will provide you free support and find a course which suits you and your needs.

Go Study is a free service and can help you in so many ways:

  • Secure cheapest prices and best discounts for any course in Australia
  • We will provide full support for your enrolment and visa application
  • Help you find a job and accommodation
  • Help plan your whole project in Australia
  • Connect you to our community of more than 29,000 Go Study Legends who have reached their dreams in Australia through parties, events and professional development

Rather than picking watermelons, pick up great new skills and great new friends and Study in Australia through Go Study!

simple text without margins

The post – 88 Days of Farm Work – Essential Information for Working Holiday Makers appeared first on Go Study Australia.

  • Show original
  • .
  • Share
  • .
  • Favorite
  • .
  • Email
  • .
  • Add Tags 

Breaking News! Student Visa Price Increase
The Australian Government will be increasing the price of a student visa from $575 to $606 (5.4% increase).  The new price will commence for all student visas lodged after July 1, 2019.
To avoid the price increase, contact Go Study today to begin your course application and student visa process.
Go Study has access to the best course prices (including 30% off at an Australian University), and can give your free support to choose the best path of study. We will also do all the admin processes for your student visa which is lengthy and difficult to do by yourself.

The post Breaking News! Student Visa Price Increase appeared first on Go Study Australia.

  • Show original
  • .
  • Share
  • .
  • Favorite
  • .
  • Email
  • .
  • Add Tags 

Every good story comes to an end… so it’s time to say goodbye! We are so proud to have seen you learning, having fun and growing in Australia, and we wish you all the best for your future trips. We hope to see you again in Australia, you know Go Study will help you again to make this possible! However, before organising a massive farewell party or going to travel the East Coast you shouldn’t forget to wrap up your financial matters in Australia: 


After working in Australia you must submit your Tax Return at the end of every financial year (1st of July). You may be eligible to get some of your tax paid back to you. How much you get depends on

  • The visa you were on
  • If you worked with ABN or TFN
  • How long you stayed in Australia, and
  • How much you got paid in all your jobs.

So you may receive some money back, or you may have to pay more if you didn’t pay enough tax up don’t… . But you must submit the Tax Return, by law. Here is how you do it:

Using a Professional Service:

For a small fee, professional services such as TaxBack will do your taxes for your and claim the MAXIMUM amount back. Although they do cost some money upfront, they may help you get hundreds, sometimes thousands more in tax refunds. Go Study recommends TaxBack as they have offices in most major cities and specialise in student and working holiday visa returns. TaxBack will be able to get you the maximum back by claiming for things such as uniform allowance, travel and other elements you may not have been aware you can claim back. Mention Go Study for special prices and promotions.


Why choose TaxBack.com?

Free Refund Estimation

 Offices in Sydney, Cairns, Perth, Brisbane, Melbourne & Darwin

Friendly Tax Specialists

24-hour Online Chat Support

Calculate your refund



From every salary get paid in Australia there is an additional amount (9.5%) held under a Superannuation account. It means you have been paying your retirement in Australia, and once you depart the country permanently you can claim for it. If you leave the country and you are not sure if you will be back you can claim it as well, you won’t have any problem to come back in the future.

Depending on your visa you will have a different percentage of the total money paid back (Students get a 70% while Work and Holidays get a 35%).

To get the Superannuation back you have to make sure you have departed Australia and your visa is expired/cancelled*. After, you should go to the DASP portal (Departing Australia Superannuation Payment), and you will also be required to have a My Gov account to log in into the system.

Other info you will need to have:

  • Your Tax File Number
  • Your Payment Summary or the last payslip of every job you had
  • Your Superannuation details (you may have only one Super Account or many), but you will be asked to have: Fund ABN, Member/Account Number, SPIN, Client ID,

Once you log in into the DASP portal you will fill it with your personal information, the bank account you want to receive the money (we recommend to put your Australian one). After you will need to add a new application for every superannuation account you had, and you may be requested to have your employer’s details (they are on the payslip).

Once you submit all the applications you will receive a confirmation email and you will get your superannuation paid in a few weeks!

In case you have further questions about it or you want to make sure there are no mistakes in your Tax Back or Superannuation application we recommend to see an accountant, which will make sure your application is correct and will solve all your questions.

How to cancel your visa in Australia

* To cancel your visa you have to do it from your Immi Account, logging in with your details and get to your current visa to click on View details. After this, go to Update details, and next click on Request to cancel a temporary resident visa. Then you will have to provide your personal details and the date you departed Australia (only do it if you are not in Australia anymore!). You will get the cancellation confirmation via email between 2 and 4 weeks.


Before leaving Australia it’s really important to create a contact in your Commonwealth App with your home bank account details, so you can make a transfer without being asked for any confirmation SMS (you won’t receive it if you are not in Australia).

Once you depart Australia and you get your taxes and your superannuation to your bank account, you will send this money to your home bank account. After, when there’s no money left you’ll need to close your Australian bank account. It’s really easy to do it, you only need to send an email to iprb@cba.com.au saying that you want to close your bank account and attached a certified copy of your passport.

Keep in mind that once your student visa expires (so you are not a student in Australia anymore) you will be charged around 6$ per month of maintenance fee. So close your bank account immediately after transferring your money to your country, before your account balance is -6$.


Are you going to travel around Asia before going back home and you have lots of bags in Australia? You can either give us all your cool stuff (joke) or send your luggage to your home country. There are several companies to do it, you can have a look at:

  • Australia Post: is usually the cheapest option, but they put some conditions: your luggage cannot exceed some dimensions and weight (140cm girth and 22kg), which means that big suitcases won’t fit in this filter.
  • Sin Maletas: It’s quite recommended, a bit more expensive than AusPost, but you can send pretty much everything (any size and weight). Using the discount code GOSTUDY you will get a 15% off.
  • 7 Seas: Cheap option to send lots of stuff, any weight and large sizes. However, it can take up to 3 months, you can get a quotation on their website.

Another tip before departing Australia is that you can claim back the GST (taxes) of some of the goods you bought in Australia during the last 60 days before your departure. You can submit this claim on the airport, after passing the security arch, looking for the Tourist Refund Scheme (TRS) area. To make it faster you can previously fill the form online or using the TRS mobile app you can find in Google Play or Apple Store. However, some conditions apply:

  • The goods have to be over 300$ (spent in the same business)
  • Have paid for the goods yourself
  • You must show the original tax invoice of the purchase
  • Carry the good with you (so keep them in your carry-on baggage, don’t check them in!)

That’s some sweet advice from Go Study – We hope it was useful and that it helps you wrap up your experience in Australia.

We look forward to seeing you somewhere in the world sooner than later!

Safe trip mate!

The Go Study Team



The post DEPARTING AUSTRALIA? Don’t forget these 5 steps! appeared first on Go Study Australia.

  • Show original
  • .
  • Share
  • .
  • Favorite
  • .
  • Email
  • .
  • Add Tags 
  • Show original
  • .
  • Share
  • .
  • Favorite
  • .
  • Email
  • .
  • Add Tags 
  • Show original
  • .
  • Share
  • .
  • Favorite
  • .
  • Email
  • .
  • Add Tags 
  • Show original
  • .
  • Share
  • .
  • Favorite
  • .
  • Email
  • .
  • Add Tags 
  • Show original
  • .
  • Share
  • .
  • Favorite
  • .
  • Email
  • .
  • Add Tags 

Read for later

Articles marked as Favorite are saved for later viewing.
  • Show original
  • .
  • Share
  • .
  • Favorite
  • .
  • Email
  • .
  • Add Tags 

Separate tags by commas
To access this feature, please upgrade your account.
Start your free month
Free Preview