Everyday in our Facebook Support Groups we see well meaning post-ops working hard but not quite understanding why the pounds aren’t melting off.
Here’s the Easy Button….
STOP OVERTHINKING FOOD.
Seriously. If you are trying to lose weight. KEEP THINGS SIMPLE. Seems silly right to say this right? When following the Inspire Diet to the point of lasting success the trick is build SIMPLE meals.
Everyday we see posts in our support groups from frustrated people just like you confused about WHY they aren’t losing weight with their meal:
With all due respect to the person who was proud of this meal, lets take a look at how it is built.
2 oz Corned Beef
2 oz Swiss Cheese
1 tablespoon Mustard
Served between Inspire Pancakes prepared as directed.
Side dishes: 1/2 cup Cottage Cheese and 1/4 cup Black Bean Hummus
So what’s wrong with that?
It’s TOO MUCH.
The “sandwich” alone sort of fits the bill of being a low carb meal, but the cheese on it contains more calories than the meat and contains fewer grams of protein.
THEN there’s side dishes? Isn’t that protein filled, dense sandwich enough food? If not…why cheese? Cottage Cheese is not a side dish. It’s a small meal in itself. But let’s ask ourselves why is cheese a go-to side dish for someone who is battling regain? It happens daily in our groups. And in this case….why on earth top it with Hummus?
BOTH cottage cheese and hummus are considered SLIDERS. Meaning they slide down quickly and digest easily in our pouches and sleeves. The faster things go down….the faster we lose our satisfaction. So WHY top an already calorie and protein dense meal with MORE calorie dense foods that aren’t going to help with things like fiber, micronutrients and aid in lasting satisfaction?
HINT: VEGETABLES are an acceptable side dish and provide ALL of those things for about 20 calories.
Our eye ball estimate has this sandwich like meal coming in at about 470 calories.
That’s a BIG chunk of the 1000 calories recommended by ASMBS for post-op weight loss. So why? WHY do we all think that every meal needs sides? HOW did we twist our Dr’s advice to focus on protein to thinking that we must avoid ANY food that doesn’t have protein to the point where we’re eating 200 calories in addition to an already high calorie meal because cottage cheese and hummus have a marginal amount of protein and are technically low carb.
When we eat like this…we fail to stay at goal (or fail to even GET THERE) by buying into the popular belief that PORTION CONTROL is all we need.
Sadly, I can promise you that since I learned the hard way, that you CAN Regain 150 pounds AND not even make it to goal in the first place from eating smaller portions of the food you used to eat.
SO…..Now what? It’s up to you to CHANGE the narrative.
Dinner is a SIMPLE equation.
PROTEIN + VEGETABLE = SUPPER IS READY
Keep the cool casseroles (skip the 4 side dishes you pinned on Pinterest) for a weekly treat and make your Monday thru Saturday dinners simpler than simple.
Here’s how my family has been eating since I got to solid foods….
Roast a chicken on Monday. Serve it with a side salad.
Tuesday….have left overs and steam a bag of frozen green beans.
Wednesday make a bowl of Sugar Free Jello before work and at supper time grab all that lunch meat you’ve been stock piling and set up a Low Carb Sub bar with some lettuce leaves and let your family build their own.
Grab a some ground beef at the grocery store, 3-4 zucchini and a big jar or two of low sugar marinara.
Go home and while the ground beef is browning skip the freaking Zoodler and grab that knife and chop up the zucchini in just 2 min. Toss in the pan with the sauce and cook until you like the texture of the zucchini. 20min from fridge to table.
WHY fight this?
Friday night have LEFTOVERS.
And yes…there will be extras your family can build plates of this and that. NO need to make Tater Tots or something to “go with it” unless its a handful of that Salad mix from the other night.
Saturday consider this your night to get FANCY.
Pick up a bag of Salad and a Roisterrie Chicken on the way home from all those stupid errands you have to do that kill your will to cook.
Make Meatloaf. Or a Roast. Or that Cheeseburger Pie. But have a side salad or ONE veggie. Hey…since it’s Sunday splash out and make a bowl of Sugar Free Jello for dessert.
And PLEASE SKIP THE SUGAR FREE COOL WHIP…remember you are on a diet and need to lose weight.
You cannot eat like its Thanksgiving Dinner EVERY DAY.
That sort of thinking is how you found your Bariatric Medical Team.
So there it is.
Easy simple meals that with the exception of #7 will take you less than 30 min.
See? You can do this. I promise. Use your time on the Inspire Diet to do more than drop pounds. Use it to CHANGE so you don’t have to keep ON the Diet to “finally” lose the weight for good “this time”.
FAQ: I’ve stopped losing weight and then gained some back. Would the Inspire Diet actually help me? Or is it just another Fad Diet.
You don’t have to take it from us….our newest Facebook Support Group is Exclusively available for people who are using the Inspire Diet to get back to goal or reach the goal weight they couldn’t the first time.
In The Inspire Diet Support Group our members get more focused support and exclusive content to help them not only lose weight, but to change their lives & overall mindset one bad habit at a time.
I have a few thing weighing heavily on my mind this week and I would like to share some thoughts! – Kelsey Payuma, Admin Bariatric Eating Support Group on Facebook.
1. Bariatric Eating isn’t just a phrase – we are a company that creates the GREATEST Bariatric products on the market. I know this because I’ve tried 99% of the other stuff. We don’t allow people to promote other product options in our Facebook Support Groups is because ours are better. Hands down better. Like you could live the rest of our life on our stuff better. Like a lifestyle not just for weight loss better. Like even your family will like it better. If you knew the amount of research and development and discussion that goes into just one product — you’d know I’m telling the truth ten thousand times over. There is NO DETAIL left that hasn’t been thought over multiple times by multiple people. So I’ll say — it’s kind of insulting when people join our support group conversations talking about sub-par stuff. And not only that — how can we in good conscience discus something that we KNOW isn’t good enough for you!? We don’t believe in gimmicks and sleight of hand here at BE — you get the bang and the buck. Always.
2. You can afford it. When I started drinking Inspire — I had to give up my weekly Starbucks at first, and then I had to give up my gel nail polish. BUT GUESS WHAT ELSE I GAVE UP? 90 pounds! There are 100 great quotes out there to be metaphors for it but this is the long and the short of it. Sacrifice goes hand in hand with success. It might seem like “uh easy for her to say, I’m a single mother living on disability” but I can assure you — you can find a way. The cost of success after weight loss surgery stretches far beyond the actual surgery. Why deprive yourself every single day by drinking protein you have to chug down holding your nose? If you need help budgeting groceries for the month – there are a million great apps online that can help. Invest in yourself – YOU ARE WORTH IT.
3. Keto, Paleo, WeightWatchers, Nutrasystem, etc etc. We have The Inspire Diet. Do you think if you joined a Paleo Group on Facebook they would know how to guide you on The Inspire Diet? Likely not. So thats what we do here. Yes, we do have some Keto information but the short answer is “thats not a great diet for someone who needed obesity surgery”. The reason we spent HOURS AND MONTHS AND WEEKS AND YEARS developing The Inspire Diet? BECAUSE WE WANT SOMETHING EASY THAT WILL WORK FOR EVERYONE! Guys, it’s literally your cheat sheet for weight loss AND OMG YOU CAN ORDER A BOX OF PRODUCTS THAT GO WITH IT? I don’t know what would make this easier aside from me showing up at your house every morning to sit on your shoulder patting you on the back. If you follow the plan – you will see success – guaranteed – no questions asked – hands down – success. Seriously. SERIOUSLY.
4. We are professionals via experience. We are not going to get into a hissy fit fight with you about why you need to be on XYZ or explain 284784594839854987538547 times why we don’t promote other proteins, or why our plans work, or why you shouldn’t eat oatmeal. We are a company made up of (like 99%) of Bariatric Post Ops – and we HAVE BEEN THERE DONE THAT BOUGHT THE TEE SHIRT. Regain? Yup. No Regain? Yup. Nutritionist? Yup. Personal Trainer? Yup. Nurse? Yup. Holistic? Yup? We literally are so well rounded we might as well be called Team Earth. Get it? But really, we can’t get into mud slinging. We have a bunch of group rules that you should check out if you haven’t. We don’t strive to be mean or condescending — we give TRUTH BOMBS and often times I’ve found, if it hurts, it likely resonates in truth deep down. So before you jump on a box shouting about how we wronged you — look at what we said and think about if we were actively trying to hurt you OR HELP YOU (I promise it’s 1000% help).
5. Guys, our website is a WEALTH OF INFO. First off, there are HUNDREDS (thousands?) of recipes. LIKE SO MANY RECIPES. Even the pickiest eater will find SOMETHING that they like. And we don’t use any weird ingredients you have to fly to the South of France to get –storebought is fine. There are also articles about losing regain – emotional stuff – vitamins – important information – and a FAQ. The FAQ is really great because there are alot of questions we KNOW we should KNOW — but we don’t – so check that out.
6. We ARE HERE TO HELP. If you’re struggling, put down the pitchfork and drop your walls, we are here to help you! It’s not always what you want to hear but I promise you, it’s rooted in our nature to look for the solution and help. Just like people you know in person — we all have our own quirky personalities and sometimes that doesn’t come across in text — but I promise you — we are here to help you.
These are just a few things that I’ve been thinking about while I sip my Inspire Peanut Butter Cookie in coffee. I live my life the BE way and I feel younger now at 36 than I did at 26 when I had my RNY surgery. The reason I was able to turn my life around and lose my regain and REGAIN my health and happiness was because I found this group. I’m thankful for it everyday. And thats why I dedicate my time and energy into creating posts, and talking to you guys.
Get some support! Studies have proven over and over again that to be successful you need support! We’ve got a fantastic group on Facebook that will HELP you lose that regain now that you are armed and ready for success.
Matt is one of the Admins in the Bariatric Eating Facebook Support Groups! Today he’s sharing some thoughts about the importance of Habits to Post WLS Success!
My dear BE friends and family.
I have been thinking a lot lately about my journey here and what it took, and continues to take, to be successful at maintaining 150 pounds of weight loss. It ain’t easy, so for anyone who thinks that, I’ve got a great bridge to sell ya!
Daily, I watch the struggles many of you have staying on plan or just getting started, and I KNOW those struggles because I had them. Hell, I HAVE THEM still. So I thought to myself, “Self: what ONE PIECE of advice could you offer that would help your BE family today?”
Here it is: Matt’s BIG PIECE OF ADVICE. CHANGE YOUR HABITS!
That’s really it. And if you read EVERY SINGLE success story here from all of you, from our amazing admin team, and from our amazing BE leader herself, you will see that each of us had to CHANGE and FORM new habits. Did you know that on average, it takes more than 2 months before a new behavior becomes automatic — 66 days to be exact?
So let’s break this down into a SUPER MANAGEABLE first step. Remember earlier in the year we talked about setting goals? Here’s a great goal to start for yourself. CREATE ONE NEW HABIT. I have given you the timeframe: in two months, what is ONE HABIT you want to create?
Nearly two years ago I read some amazing testimonials here that stuck. I remember reading someone state that they have an Inspire shake within 30 minutes of getting up because the protein was such a critical start to the day. I thought, HEY! I can do that! So the very next morning, I started by having Inspire Blueberry Cheesecake in my morning coffee. That was two years ago, and to this day I start EVERY, SINGLE morning with protein. Today, I had Califia Black and White coffee with Holy Cannoli when I first got up, and about an hour later, I had ½ serving of Inspire Strawberry Parfait.
I am sharing with you VERY SPECIFIC products and ideas because HABITS ARE ABOUT DETAILS. I have NEVER wavered from this. I have protein coffee when I travel, when I am on vacation, when I am sick, ALWAYS. Over time, this habit stuck and became, well… a HABIT. See how that works?
So I started other habits. I make it to the gym 2-3 times a week. Rain, shine, sleepy, pissy…I make it to the gym. My husband works with me on this one. He doesn’t let me make excuses. If we have a day of fun planned, we start it by going to the gym for 30 minutes. HABITS!
It is February 24. On April 24, we are in the landing position for summer. So the habit you start today is going to be your new summer routine.
What do you want to do by then?
Stop thinking about boiling the ocean in one sitting. Believe me that kind of thinking leads to Twinkies and cookies in your car alone at night when no one is around. So pick a SINGLE habit o start NOW – not Monday, not next week, but NOW.
Kelsey is an Admin in our successful Facebook Groups and shares her Top 10 list of things learned in the 10 years since her Weight Loss Surgery!
10. Nobody really understands unless they’ve had weight loss surgery too. And that’s okay. But don’t try to impose your new body, diet, lifestyle, etc onto them. They won’t get it. And your feelings will get hurt and it will cause fights. Nobody needs to know why you’re now choosing a salad over fries. This is your journey.
9. No matter how much you lose – this lifestyle is forever. Trying to jump back into a “old eating habits” is the fast lane to regain. Follow the rules – for life.
8. If you like your teeth and your bones – take your vitamins. Most of my weight loss surgery friends have lost lots of teeth, broken bones, needed extra surgeries from vitamin deficiencies. And no – Flintstones don’t count.
7. Everyone has the surgery for different reasons – but we all ate too much of the wrong stuff. Get over your “woe is me” reasons and embrace that you are here making a change. Obesity doesn’t target those who have health, emotional, physical, and mental issues. We made the choice to eat what we did. Time to move on. Same goes for regain. Take responsibility and move on. Back on Track is your cheat sheet.
6. Your skin will never be the same. It will sag and pucker. We stretched it out being overweight enough to need weight loss surgery. It likely won’t ever be back to Barbie consistency without surgical help. And guess what? That’s your choice too. I look like a melted candle naked – but Spanx helps and I’d rather wear shape-wear and single digit sizes than double digit sizes and have “firm” skin.
5. Drink your water. 4 hospitalizations for dehydration sucked. The terror when you have no idea what is wrong and you legitimately think you might be dying — and its dehydration, can be avoided. Our bodies are made of water, you’re shrinking, drink the liquid.
4. Find your own style. At 402 pounds: I wore what I thought looked good. Now I do the same. My body looks good in form fitting clothes — even though it may not be “on trend” or whatever. Find the fun in showing off your new figure! I still mainly wear black but now I’ve got heels on!!
3. Celebrate yourself! This isn’t easy by any means. It’s actually really really hard. And it’s not hard for a few months. It’s hard FOREVER. So celebrate yourself and your successes. Set goals and reward yourself (just make the rewards not food based for maximum awesomeness).
2. Protein powder is forever. You will never be able to eat enough protein to keep your body in prime condition. Find one you love (mine is clearly Inspire Peanut Butter Cookie – and this was after 8 years of trying every single other brand out there). Trust me – you need protein shakes forever.
1. Laugh at the cloud bread. Or the low carb tortillas. Or the million other substitutes out there trying to reel you in. They are NOT worth it. Find new foods to fall in love with. Low carb tortillas took me to a 90 pound regain – it’s not worth the year of fighting to lose that regain. You can lose your regain but wouldn’t it be even better to not have to? I can assure you the answer is yes.