Jessica Ress, aka SpaGoddess is formulator, founder, and CEO at Angel Face Botanicals, and author of the book 100% Organic Skincare Recipes. Jessica holds certifications in aromatherapy, Reiki, and Reiki Crystal Healing. Her luxurious aromatherapy products promote beautiful skin and overall health in mind, body, and spirit.
The majority of our blood and every cell in our bodies is composed of water. And actually our brain is 90% water. The thought of a dehydrated brain is pretty scary. Therefore, we humans NEED WATER to function properly. Proper hydration is crucial to our overall health AND to beautiful skin.
Water is necessary for good health and all of our organs function better when we're adequately hydrated. The benefits of drinking plenty of water every day include having a more clear, radiant skin tone to protecting joints, helping achieve a slimmer waistline, and so much more.
Think of your skin cells like a raisin vs a grape. A grape is juicy and plump, while a raisin is all puckered and dehydrated. From this analogy, you can see why your chronic dehydration can exacerbate the appearance of wrinkles, as well as speed the formation of wrinkles.
Dehydration will worsen virtually all health problems as well as exacerbate skincare issues such as acne, eczema, Rosacea, etc.
Water is the primary transporter of nutrients throughout your body. If you don't drink enough water, toxins can build up increasing fat deposits, causing breakouts and leave you in a tired, sluggish mood.
Drinking water flushes toxins out of your body.
When you're well-hydrated, it's easier for your skin care products to do their job. So, drink lots of water and also make healthier dietary choices including whole unprocessed foods rich in antioxidants. Bathe regularly to wash away the dirt and grime so your cells can breathe!
And of course - drink as much pure, fresh water as you can to keep you cells hydrated and free of toxins.
Just how much water should you drink every day?
I firmly believe that our wellness paths are individual, and this includes the amount of water your body might need on a daily basis. It's important to listen to your body and pay attention to your diet, as well as environmental factors. You'll need to drink more water when it's hot out, or you've been eating sweet and/or salty foods, taking medications, drinking alcohol, taking a bath or swimming, and working out. Even air travel can cause dehydration.
Are you thirsty?
Do you have any of these symptoms of dehydration?
Very dry skin
Dull sagging skin
What color is your pee? If your pee isn’t mostly clear or you have any of those symptoms, it's pretty likely that you aren’t getting enough H2O in your system.
A very common suggestion is to drink eight, 8 oz glasses a day. Another way to calculate your water needs is to divide your body weight (in LBS) in half and drink that many ounces. Again, it's best to learn listen to your body.
Here's a little inspiration for infused waters and fun ideas to help you to drink a little more water.
Simply add ice for a little excitement. Drink a sparkling mineral water. Use a fun glass that makes you want to drink out of it. Add a squirt of lemon, a squeeze of lime, crush a few sprigs of fresh mint, slip in a slice of cucumber, or add an orange round or two, pop in a couple strawberries or blueberries.
Get creative and make some fun combos like blueberry and lemon, or cucumber and mint. I even saw a jalapeno infused water at a restaurant this summer. You can let them infuse in the fridge. Since they will need to be consumed within a day or two, there's a little more motivation to drink up!!
What's the secret to your most healthy, glowing + radiant skin?
Facial serums offer a hydrating booster of potent vitamins + concentrated nutrients to specifically benefit your skin-type.
Because they deliver a mega-dose of targeted actives + nourishing botanicals in a lightweight, fast-absorbing elixir that penetrates more deeply than creams. Think of a facial serum as a multi-vitamin for your skin.
Not sure which serum is right for your skin? Girl we got you! Keep scrolling for our guide below...
Does your skin yearn for a Deep Calm?
Calm, nourish + transform your irritated, inflamed skin with healing botanicals including Tamanu, Blue Tansy, Chia + Prickly Pear to gently soothe redness + address inflammation, promoting healthy skin. Balance, nurture + restore your dry + overexposed skin. Our Calm Prickly Pear Face Oil was created for sensitive skin prone to redness, overexposed skin, sunburned, wind-burned + acne prone skin.
Youthful Skin is Pleasantly Plump! Just think of a baby's smooth + chubby cheeks...
French Plum, Pomegranate, Red Raspberry + Carrot Seed plus an herbal infusion to address all signs of aging, this nutrient dense mega-moisturizing serum smooths fine lines + plumps wrinkles in dry, maturing + sun-damaged skin. Plump Prickly Pear Face Oil restores that vibrant, youthful radiance by supporting the cells with plant-based love to deeply repair free radical damage.
Get that Glow!
Aloe Vera + Rosewater soothe + hydrate while MSM + DMAE boost collagen production, smoothing fine lines + wrinkles, giving your skin that smooth porcelain finish. Potent Rooibos + Pomegranate antioxidants are anti-inflammatory + support advanced cellular renewal. Illuminesce Glow + Repair Serum absorbs with a weightless finish + layers flawlessly under oils, creams + makeup.
Clarify + refresh
Aloe, Lavender Hydrosol + Hyaluronic Acid provide weightless hydration without clogging pores. Vitamin B3 stimulates collagen + promotes an even skin tone. Clarifying botanicals include Green Tea + Witch Hazel to reduce blemishes, shrink pore size, balance sebum production + boost cellular renewal. Oil-Free Clarifying Moisture Serum provides beneficial moisture + potent nutrients to balance oilier, acne prone skin types. It's cooling + soothing for Rosacea + excellent for providing a light moisture layer in summertime + in hot or humid climates.
Our cult classic Radiance Nectar that our founder formulated as a 40th birthday present to herself, so you know it's made with the best of the best organic oils in our lab...
This "Dry Oil" bend is rapidly absorbed + highly moisturizing, naturally infused with gamma tocopherol, alpha-linoleic + oleic fatty acids -- natural antioxidants that excel in scavenging free radicals. Plant-powered nectar from Strawberries, Rosehips, Frankincense + Roses is just simply lovely in scent, consistency + results. Use Strawberry Rose Vitamin Boost Serum daily for brighter + more radiant skin.
16 potent botanical actives including Tamanu, Blue Chamomile + Lemon Myrtle counteract redness + inflammation, calm existing breakouts, help prevent new pimples from forming, speed wound healing + boost cellular renewal to minimize residual scaring.
Lavender Love - seriously, it's not just lavender...
It's a blend of over 20 lavender essential oils + extracts from all over the world, infused with reiki + amethyst crystals + love! And it's simply divine....
Lavender is a Universal Healer physically, emotionally + spiritually. Use this plant ally to nurture creativity, balance your chakras, induce peaceful sleep, aid in meditation, calm itchy bug bites, speed healing for minor cuts + scrapes, ease travel sickness, wear it as an symbol of love, balance hormonal mood swings + so much more...
Beauty Tools. How you use them can make ALL the difference!!
As a special treat, I gave both of my sisters one of these fan-shaped mask brushes with the Chocolate Mud Antioxidant Mask, and a handmade ceramic Mask Mixing Bowl by Salt Ceramics. I'm a big fan of giving self care gifts, and I just love hearing all about the special "me time" moments they help create. Y'all know I love my Goddess Time.
A couple of weeks later I get a call from my sister, the artist. She tells me she's just had a relaxing spa day and did a facial with the all goodies I gave her. She's in love with the Chocolate Mask and says it smells "divine." But then she says "I'm not sure about that brush."
I was really surprised, but after talking it out and sharing a few laughs, we realized that she was using the brush ALL WRONG! With a background in fine art, she's familiar with how to use a fan brush on an actual painting, but never has used one on her face! Until just now...
Here are some more detailed instructions to help you achieve maximum enjoyment and replenishment on your next home spa day.
When you're painting on a canvas with a fan brush, typically you're using it to soften, fluff, or feather the paint (like a cloud or sunset) or to make texture (like fur, grass or leaves), both brush strokes are sort of bouncy side to side or up and down motions.
Painting with a fan brush uses VERY different gesture than how you'd use the same shaped brush to apply a facial mask.
To apply a facial mask with a fan brush, you load up the brush with mask + make broad flat strokes across your face. This is a soothing, sweeping motion that caresses your skin as you apply the mask. The broad flat brush allows you to apply the mask to the contours of your face evenly, expertly avoiding your eye area + hairline.
Now you're all set with these beauty tips to take your next spa day to the next level and use your Bamboo Facial Mask Brush like a pro! Another pro tip I like to add into my home spa rituals is to generously apply an eye serum like my Everlasting before applying a facial mask -- sort of like an eye area mask. I apply more serum than I normally would, keeping it out of my eyes, and then apply the facial mask to the rest of my face.
Here's a list of nine easy and free beauty tips. Most of these things you probably already know, but it helps to have a gentle reminder, bringing these helpful tips into the forefront of your consciousness.
1. Consciously maintain your overall health and well-being. Acknowledge yourself and your mental, physical, and spiritual needs. How can you incorporate more acts of self care into your daily routine? Make extra time to do something special for yourself. Self care is valuable tool! True beauty comes from within. Sparkling eyes, glowing skin, vitality and confidence are attractive.
2. Get outside often!! Fresh air is a great beautifier. Just don't forget your hat and sunscreen.
3. Sensible eating habits: Fresh is best!! Don’t eat too much, or too quickly. Like Michael Pollan says: “Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.” Moderation is key. Don't deprive yourself either. It's okay to have a little cake every once in a while:)
4. Get plenty of sleep in a cool, well ventilated room. Your body and your mind need rest to regenerate and recuperate from the work of the day. Your whole system suffers without enough sleep. They don't call it beauty rest for nothin'! If you live in a city with lots of cars and pollution, consider getting an air purifier for your bedroom. While they're not free, they work wonders to filter out microscopic particles of pollen, mold, pollution etc. When I moved into my condo in the city, close to a freeway I started waking up with lots of congestion and sometimes a headache. After a few months of this, I put an air purifier in my bedroom and noticed a significant improvement in my allergies. The white noise helps with the street noise as well. Houseplants are also a beautiful way to increase the clean oxygen levels in your home.
5. Bathe often! Oils, dirt, dead skin, and toxins build up on your skin and you need to wash those off or they get re-absorbed into your bloodstream or clog your pores. Even if you don't wash your hair every day, it's best to do a daily rinse off! Let the water flow over your body and wash away the accumulated layers of stress, dirt, pollution, etc.
6. Practice good posture. Be mindful of how you sit. When you walk, hold your head high and shoulders back and engage your stomach muscles. When you sit, do not hold one shoulder higher than the other, or sit crooked? Bring some awareness into your posture and gently remind yourself to straighten out.
7. Keep your muscles firm and youthful by getting some exercise, even if it's just a 10 minute walk during a work break, take the stairs, or park at the far end of the lot so you have to walk a little more. What sort of physical activity could you add into your routine to enhance the health of your mind, body, and spirit?
8. Don't let your skin get too dry. Dry skin makes wrinkles more profound and gives a dull, drab appearance. Moisturized skin is glowing and healthy in comparison.
9. Meditate. All forms of meditation can help reduce stress and improve well-being. Meditate in the morning before beginning your day. By meditating first thing in the morning, you will be setting the energy and your own physiology before placing yourself in situations that could generate stress. This will ensure that your day runs more smoothly and that you are in the proper energetic state to experience miracles! Meditation reduces stress and allows your inner beauty to shine through.
These tips are super easy to incorporate into your daily routine and will make a difference in the long term.
I am really impressed with how quickly, gently and effectively this acne treatment has gone to work in zapping my blemishes. I discovered the boo-boo first thing this morning, applied the acne serum twice and it is practically gone already!
Thank you for your expertise and care in developing lovely, loving organic skin care products.
Have a great rest of the day!
Thanks for sharing Deb!! It is my pleasure and I am so glad this serum worked so well for you:)
Using raw honey on your skin might sound weird at first, but the many benefits will surprise you. Honey has long been a favorite ingredient in skincare products as it helps keep the skin younger looking, improves radiance, and leaves skin very smooth. The ancient Greeks, Romans, Egyptians, and East Indians all used Honey in their skin care preparations. In fact, the combination of milk and honey was known as the elixir of life.
B vitamins (B6, thiamin, niacin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid)
When honey is heated and filtered it becomes pure sucrose, and loses most of its healing benefits and nutritional value, so it's really important to use raw honey. To be considered raw, the honey must not be heated over 95 degrees Fahrenheit. Raw honey is unheated and unpasteurized which means the naturally occurring vitamins, minerals, enzymes, antioxidants are intact and potent. Raw honey also contains a unique insulin-type substance which helps digestion. Raw organic honey can be easily found at your local health food store, farmers market. Or you can order this organic raw honey which is high quality and yummy or opt for superfood raw Manuka honey from New Zealand.
"Manuka honey, produced in New Zealand by bees that pollinate the Manuka bush, is one of the most unique and beneficial forms of honey in the world. With Manuka honey, the nutritional content is up to four times that of normal flower honeys" according to Dr. Axe.
Raw honey has antibacterial properties that speed the healing of infections and wounds and honey provides moisture without adding any oil. This makes skincare products containing raw honey highly beneficial for acne prone skin. In fact, you can use pure raw honey as a simple DIY facial cleanser with that won't strip away your natural oils providing antimicrobial benefits that can help fight acne.
When applied to the skin, honey increases circulation which encourages a natural, healthy radiance. Honey is a humectant which helps your skin absorb and retain moisture which keeps it from drying out. Honey is packed with natural antioxidants and anti-microbial properties which help protect, repair and prevent skin damage. Honey is also quite calming to the skin. As an anti-irritant, products containing honey are beneficial for sensitive skin and even baby products.
An absolutely divine DIY luxury bath can be had by adding half a cup of honey and a cup of full fat milk to a warm tub. Mix well, get in, and soak for a while. Add a few red rose petals and you'll feel pretty and pampered like the royal princess that you are!!
Here is a list of common cosmetic ingredients to avoid. These synthetic ingredients are allergens and skin irritants that are widely known to be toxic for our health & for our environment.
1. Imidazolidinyl Urea and Diazolidinyl Urea The American Academy of Dermatology lists these chemicals as a primary cause of contact dermatitis.
2. Methyl and Propyl and Butyl and Ethyl Paraben Highly toxic chemicals known to cause allergic reactions, rosacea & skin rashes. The fact that Parabens have been found in breast cancer tissue is enough reason for me to use alternatives.
3. Petrolatum A mineral oil jelly which promotes sun damage along with dry & chapped skin conditions.
4. Propylene Glycol A cosmetic form of mineral oil found also found in automatic brake and hydraulic fluid and industrial antifreeze--enough said.
5. PVP/VA Copolymer These chemical particles have been found in the lung tissue of people with lung conditions.
6. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate With an extensive list of allergic reactions such as eye irritations, skin rashes, hair loss, flaky scalp it is a wonder that this nasty chemical is still so widely used in everything from laundry soap to shampoo, bubble bath & just about every sudsing product on the market. Be aware of 'pseudo-natural' products disclaiming it's derived from coconut.
7. Stearalkonium Chloride A toxic chemical that is widely known to cause allergic reactions. 8. Synthetic Colors Widely believed to be cancer-causing agents.
9. Synthetic Fragrances These includes perfume, fragrance, fragrance oil & parfum. These are ubiquitous terms for a chemical substance which can contain up to 200 undisclosed ingredients. Common side-affects are headaches, dizziness, rash, hyper-pigmentation, violent coughing, vomiting, skin irritation, more...
10. Diethanolamine (DEA) Known to be toxic to the immune system, an irritant to skin and may form carcinogenic nitrosamines.
Double Love Exfoliating Body Scrub by Angel Face Botanicals gently removes dull, dry skin with Himalayan Pink Sea Salts and an ultra-moisturizing blend of nourishing botanical oils leaving your skin velvety soft and positively glowing.
Fair Trade Organic Shea Butter, Organic High Oleic Sunflower Oil, and Evening Primrose Oil plus Vitamin E combine to create a healing powerhouse regenerating skin and soothing the senses. The tranquil floral herbal scent of Organic Lavender Essential Oil is known as a universal healer, enhancing your overall health and well-being. Take a long, slow deep breath: spiritual love, peace, and calm prevail.
Exfoliating with natural mineral salts like Pink Himalayan Salts and Dead Sea Salts can improve the texture, tone, and appearance of your skin, combat water retention, help reduce the appearance of cellulite, lessen occurrence of ingrown hairs, prevent muscle cramping and soreness, regulate sleep, and even decrease stress. The quality ultra-fine grain of the salts in Double Love create the perfect texture for a decadent and nutritious exfoliating body scrub.
Most often an exfoliating body scrub is made from either salt or sugar. Using a salt scrub helps to re-mineralize the body while exfoliating. A sugar scrub exfoliate with the texture of the sugar. Plus it has the extra enzymatic exfoliation of naturally occurring alpha-hydroxy acids. Whether you chose sugar or salt, an Exfoliating Body Scrub is known to increase circulation, assist in the rejuvenation of your cells, leaving not only your skin revived, but your mind, body, and spirit refreshed as well.
To rid oneself of tired puffy eyes SpaGoddess recommends this very easy and sweet-smelling DIY skincare recipe for beautiful skin - a lovely compliment to any home spa day.
Brew a cup of Chamomile tea and let cool to warm, add 2 tablespoons of Rosewater. You can use our Rose Crystal Toner or a store bought Rosewater, or you can make your own with this DIY Rose Water recipe from my blog archives.
Soak soft cloth or cotton pad in this mixture. Place over eyes and lay back, relax and dream....
You can use this lovely DIY treatment in your home spa facial as well. Alternating warm and cool cloths will open and close the pores, respectively, as well as add a touch of sensory luxury. Soak a facial cloth with the warm liquid. Place the remaining liquid in the fridge to use after your mask. Let the fragrant cloth sit on your skin for 5-10 minutes, then apply a facial mask. Once the mask has been removed, use the chilled liquid to soak a fresh cloth. Apply the chilled cloth to your skin for another 5-10 minutes. Follow with moisturizer and any appropriate serums.
Use Green Tea instead of the Chamomile for an antioxidant, pore-tightening boost. Place remaining liquid in a spray bottle and use as a fresh toner or use it as the liquid for a dry mask. This will make a lovely treat in your bathwater as well. Store in a tightly sealed mason jar in the fridge and use within a week.
The New Year is here! Now's the perfect time to set some realistic goals to renew your skin! A New Year means an opportunity for renewing your skincare routine. A New Year should mean a period of renewal for your skin, and why not start the New Year off right by pampering yourself and showing your skin some serious love!
Perhaps you aren’t following a set skin routine right now, or perhaps too many naughty treats have left your skin looking a little under the weather. Well, that can change! Apart from deciding to make healthy choices in 2017 that won’t only benefit your health, but your skin too, why not start a proper skin regime that will become a daily ritual, and in fact, something you find yourself looking forward to everyday!
We have put together a simple guide using our products to start your New Year on the right note so that you can enjoy healthy and glowing skin all year long!
Daily Ritual For Glowing Skin
Step 1: Cleanse
Cleansing your skin is absolutely essential whether you wear makeup or not. Cleansing helps to remove dirt, oils and grime that have built up throughout the day, and a good cleanser will prevent natural oils from being stripped from your precious skin.
To really treat your skin, try our Luscious Cleansing Oil and Makeup Remover for a deep down clean that won’t strip your skin of natural oils thanks to a magical combination of Jojoba, Argan, Olive, Apricot Seed, and Castor Oils along with the uplifting and fruity scent of chamomile oil.
Step 2: Tone
This is a step many of us skip, but toning the skin has some wonderful benefits. Not only does it ensure that every last trace of makeup is removed from the skin, it adds hydration, balances the pH levels of the skin and delivers some free radical fighting antioxidants.
We have 3 toners to help you renew your skin, each with their own unique benefits. The right toner for your skin type will clarify, replenish, and/or moisturize, and leave your skin feeling beautifully refreshed.
Step 3: Serum
If you aren’t currently using a serum in your routine, then now is the perfect time of year to add one in.
Serums penetrate deep where they deliver powerful actives that target your specific skincare concerns. This is because the molecules in a serum are smaller than those found in a moisturizer. Serums are the holy grail of hydrating products and you won’t believe you have never tried one before now!