Loading...

Follow Abesija on Feedspot

Continue with Google
Continue with Facebook
or

Valid

via The Nation Nigeria https://ift.tt/2F5p3gM

The All Progressives Congress (APC) will produce the next governor in Bayelsa State, a former Commissioner for Youths in Bayelsa State Mr. Ibarakumo Otobo has boasted.

Otobo declared: “The APC will claim Bayelsa. We are working to produce the next governor.

“We believe in the leadership of former Governor Timipre Sylva. He is the brains behind our impressive performance in the last elections and his leadership will take us to greater heights,” he said.

He said the party had shifted its focus to the December governorship election in the state following conclusion of the general elections.

Otobo said the APC performed well in the just-concluded elections in the state and was already building on the feat ahead of the governorship poll.

Otobo, who spoke in Yenagoa, alleged the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) used the military to intimidate APC leaders adding that despite the excesses, he was able to win his Tombia community for his party’s House of Assembly candidate.

“In my Tombia community, we faced a lot of intimidation from the military.

“The military did not play the neutral role they were supposed to play. They were quite partisan and they supported the PDP”, he said.

Read Also: Buhari, seven APC Governors meet in Aso Rock

Otobo commended the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) describing its performance in the elections as impressive.

He said the commission upped its game in all aspects of the election including logistics, timing and card reader performance.

Otobo said the APC members in his area comported themselves very well in the face of persecution and shunned violence throughout the exercise.

He said: “We have done very well in Bayelsa and I am happy that we worked together to win my community for the APC House of Assembly candidate.

“The PDP candidate came from my area but we won her. In Tombia community, we comported ourselves very well. We are a peace-loving community so we refused to be violent despite provocation.

“We have shown them that PDP is not an Ijaw party. Rather Ijaw people have the right to choose a political party of their choice.

“We have shown them that in Tombia community and in other communities in Brass, Southern Ijaw and Nembe Bassambiri, we chose the APC”.


From https://www.abesija.com
Read Full Article
  • Show original
  • .
  • Share
  • .
  • Favorite
  • .
  • Email
  • .
  • Add Tags 

via The Nation Nigeria https://ift.tt/2NZLZkH

A Federal High Court in Abuja has declined the request by former Aviation Minister, Femi Fani Kayode and Afenifere Renewal Group Publicity Secretary Yinka Odumakin for an order of perpetual injunction restraining the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Department of State Services (DSS) and the police from arresting or detaining them.

The request was contained in a fundamental rights enforcement suit which Fani Kayode and Odumakin filed earlier this year in the wake of threat by the EFCC to invite them in relation to their alleged involvement in the spread of false rumour about a purported invasion of the residence of the suspended Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Walter Onnoghen by EFCC officials.

Fani Kayode and Odumakin had prayed the court for among others, “an order of perpetual injunction restraining the respondents, by themselves, agents, privies or anybody deriving authority from them by whatever name called, from harassing, intimidating, abducting or detaining the applicants.”

But, in a judgment on Monday, Justice John Tsoho elected to grant a modified variant of the applicants’ prayer, to the effect that any arrest or detention of Fani Kayode and Odumakin by the respondents must comply with due process of the law.

Justice Tsoho also rejected the applicants’ prayer for an order directing the respondents to tender unreserved public apology to them.

The judge equally declined the request by Fani Kayode and Odumakin for an award of N20million “as damages for the unlawful threat to arrest the applicants.”

Justice Tsoho however held that since Section 46 of the Constitution allows the filing of anticipatory suit where an individual suspects that his or her rights were about to be breached, he was convinced that there was threat to violate the applicants’ rights.

The judge noted that, by the way the EFCC went about publishing its threat to invite the applicants, and the “intemperate language” deployed in the press release authored by Orilade Tony, he was convinced that the applicants established a cause of action and the likelihood of their rights being breached.

He proceeded to grant prayers 1, 2, 4 and 6, which include a declaration that the respondents’ public declaration to arrest the applicants on the basis of spreading false rumours was an infringement of their fundamental rights as enshrined in Section 34 (a), 35 (1) (4) and (5) of the 1999 Constitution.

The court also declared that They said the threat to falsely imprison their liberty, safety, peace and security was a breach of their rights enshrined in Section 34 (a), 35 (1) (4) and (5) of the 1999 Constitution.


From https://www.abesija.com
Read Full Article
  • Show original
  • .
  • Share
  • .
  • Favorite
  • .
  • Email
  • .
  • Add Tags 
Fox News Breaking News Alert

Felicity Huffman, Lori Loughlin among those charged in nationwide college admissions cheating scandal

03/12/19 8:07 AM
March 12, 2019 at 03:07PM
From https://www.abesija.com
Read Full Article
  • Show original
  • .
  • Share
  • .
  • Favorite
  • .
  • Email
  • .
  • Add Tags 
Fox News Breaking News Alert

Britain latest country to ground Boeing 737 Max from its airspace after fatal Ethiopian Airlines crash

03/12/19 7:13 AM
March 12, 2019 at 02:13PM
From https://www.abesija.com
Read Full Article
  • Show original
  • .
  • Share
  • .
  • Favorite
  • .
  • Email
  • .
  • Add Tags 
Fox News Breaking News Alert

US withdrawing remaining staff from embassy in Venezuela

03/11/19 9:47 PM
March 12, 2019 at 04:47AM
From https://www.abesija.com
Read Full Article
  • Show original
  • .
  • Share
  • .
  • Favorite
  • .
  • Email
  • .
  • Add Tags 
Fox News Breaking News Alert

UFC star Conor McGregor arrested in Miami

03/11/19 4:49 PM
March 11, 2019 at 11:49PM
From https://www.abesija.com
Read Full Article
  • Show original
  • .
  • Share
  • .
  • Favorite
  • .
  • Email
  • .
  • Add Tags 

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) was in the early hours of Tuesday declared the winner of the 2019 governorship election in Imo State.

Candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Emeka Ihedioha polled 273, 404 to defeat the candidate of the Action Alliance (AA), Ugwumba Uche Nwosu who got 190, 364, leaving a difference of 83, 040.

The candidate of the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA), Senator Ifeanyi Araraume got 114, 676, followed by the candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Senator Hope Uzodinma, who polled 96, 458.

In the results announced by the Returning Officer, Prof. Francis Otunta, out of 2, 210,008 registered voters, 823, 743 were accredited out of which the election had 741, 355 valid votes cast and 25, 130 rejected votes.

The post Breaking: PDP’s Ihedioha wins Imo gov poll appeared first on Daily Trust.


from Daily Trust https://ift.tt/2u4qbv4
From https://www.abesija.com
Read Full Article
  • Show original
  • .
  • Share
  • .
  • Favorite
  • .
  • Email
  • .
  • Add Tags 

Former Deputy Speaker and governorship candidate of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), Emeka Ihedioha has been declared the winner of the keenly contested Imo State governorship election by the State Returning Officer,  Prof. Francis Otunta.

Ihedioha polled a total number of 273404 to defeat his closest rival and candidate of the Action Alliance (AA), Uche Nwosu.

The candidates of the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA), and All Progressives Congress (APC), Ifeanyi Araraume and Hope Uzodinma scored 114676 and 96458 votes respectively.



from The Nation Nigeria https://ift.tt/2VR3mGQ
From https://www.abesija.com
Read Full Article
  • Show original
  • .
  • Share
  • .
  • Favorite
  • .
  • Email
  • .
  • Add Tags 

As the information technology (IT) revolution continues to gather pace in Nigerian business, the country must become more aware of the growing dangers of cybercrime and ensure that comprehensive measures are taken to reduce its negative impact to the barest minimum.

Even for a developing nation like Nigeria, the deleterious effects of cybercrime are far too significant to be ignored. It is estimated that 60 per cent of businesses in the country suffer at least one cyber-attack annually. This has resulted in annual losses of about N127 billion, according to the Cyber Security Experts Association of Nigeria (CSEAN).

The attacks take a variety of forms, including phishing attacks (fraudulent attempts to obtain sensitive information online), the installation of malicious software (malware) and ransomware, as well as cryptojacking (using victims’ computers to mine cryptocurrencies). These attacks come in addition to older crimes like spoofing (hacking emails to obtain money or sensitive information), identity theft, love scams and cyber Ponzi schemes.

They are being perpetrated by Nigeria’s ever-growing army of unemployed and underemployed youth. Intelligent, frustrated and determined to gain access to the wealth being flaunted openly by their more successful peers, these youths have taken advantage of cybercrime’s anonymity, stealth and extreme profitability.

The situation is further aggravated by the surprising naivety of many local businesses to the cybercrime threat, especially small and medium-scale enterprises (SMEs). Organisations that routinely take comprehensive steps to secure their physical security apparently cannot understand that cybersecurity requires even greater levels of attention.

The 2017 Nigerian Cyber Security Report found that over 95 per cent of the country’s businesses do not have a specific budget for tackling cyber threats. IT units in many firms often have to make specific demands for cyber solutions before company managements approve them. Such arbitrary responses only make it easier for hackers and other cybercriminals to perpetrate their crimes.

Any robust response to the country’s increasing cybersecurity threat must begin at the level of policy formulation. In 2015, Nigeria promulgated a Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, Etc.) Act which sought to regulate the use of the Internet and computer-based information in order to deter cybercrime. Hacking is punishable by a fine of up to N10 million or a five-year prison term. Identity theft carries a N7 million fine, or three years’ imprisonment, or both.

It is doubtful whether these relatively small penalties can deter criminals from the huge amounts they can realise from cybercrime, but efforts must be made to ensure that they are properly enforced. Too often, law-enforcement agents seem to be merely content to extort money from many of the so-called “Yahoo Boys” they apprehend. If that trend is not halted, cybercriminals will simply write off such shakedowns as an operational expense.

Enlightenment is another important anti-cybercrime strategy. Businesses and institutions need to be fully aware of the nature of the threat they are up against. Groups like CSEAN, the Nigeria Computer Society (NCS), the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN), and the Chartered Institute of Bankers of Nigeria (CIBN) must be more proactive in educating their members about the dangers of cybercrime. When businesses and professionals understand exactly how cybercrime can negatively affect their operations, they will be more amenable to securing themselves against it.

Initiatives like the Central Bank of Nigeria’s (CBN) Risk-Based Cybersecurity Framework and Guidelines for Deposit Money Banks (DMBs) and Payment Service Providers (PSPs) are a good response to the cybercrime menace. The framework outlines the minimum requirements DMBs and PSPs must establish in their cybersecurity programmes, and by so doing, compels them to recruit the requisite personnel, meet laid-down standards of cybersecurity and enforce them throughout their organisations.

If other regulatory bodies can ensure that similar standards are put in place for other sectors of the economy, Nigeria will be better able to fight off a danger which could severely affect its ability to do business.



from The Nation Nigeria https://ift.tt/2tYryLI
From https://www.abesija.com
Read Full Article
  • Show original
  • .
  • Share
  • .
  • Favorite
  • .
  • Email
  • .
  • Add Tags 

Bi-Courtney Aviation Services Limited, operators of the Murtala Muhammed Airport 2 (MMA2) has  called on stakeholders in the aviation industry to  prevail on the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) to close the gap in its abysmal management of airport infrastructure.

In a statement issued by the firm’s spokesperson, Eniola Ade-Solanke,BiCourtney alleged that FAAN, through its actions, has consistently breached its obligations in the concession agreement and has caused her huge loss of over N250 billion.

This is coming as the private terminal  operator debunked reports that MMA2’s 12-year term was about to expire and government planning to take over the facility.

The statement said Bi-Courtney remains a key employer of labour in the aviation industry and committed to providing an environment for strong corporate health without fear, pressure or prejudice.

“MMA2’s concession has had to contend with seemingly intractable controversies shortly after the expiration of Obasanjo’s  tenure. While the BASL argues that by the concession agreement, all domestic flights emanating from Lagos airport, including the General Aviation Terminal (GAT) where Arik Air operates from would be handled by the company, the authorities resisted the move,” the statement read.

For over a decade, the BASL and FAAN have engaged in a running battle over the concession. Several court cases, up to 30, were filed and the crises have dragged on. Bi- Courtney also went ahead to invest in regional operations, but up till now, the terminal was never allowed to operate regional flights, even though some of the airlines operating from the terminal fly to Ghana and other West African countries.”

Setting the records straight, Ade-Solanke disclosed that it entered into a concession agreement with the Federal Republic of Nigeria, for the Build, Operate and Transfer of the MMA2 for 36 years, describing the terminal as the most well designed and run terminal in the country operating on very limited revenue.

She stated that the clear provision of the concession agreement between Bi-Courtney and the government upholds the operation of the MMA2 terminal for an undisputed period of 36 years.

She disclosed that since inception, FAAN has not complied with the agreement to handover the GAT which is a property of Bi-Courtney.

Her words, : “The erroneous claims against the Chairman of Bi-Courtney in making frantic efforts in the Presidency to frustrate a takeover of the terminal is not unconnected with purported attempts to stir up a false sense of alarm and acrimony against the concession.”



from The Nation Nigeria https://ift.tt/2VRBwdE
From https://www.abesija.com
Read Full Article

Read for later

Articles marked as Favorite are saved for later viewing.
close
  • Show original
  • .
  • Share
  • .
  • Favorite
  • .
  • Email
  • .
  • Add Tags 

Separate tags by commas
To access this feature, please upgrade your account.
Start your free month
Free Preview