14th October found us at an off roading event organised by Land Rover Monthly magazine. The trail was a step up from the usual green lanes I’ve driven, on a 3 mile course expertly prepared by the chaps at Experience the Country near Milton Keynes.
There were wooded sections to navigate, through some tight twisty turns between the trees:
There were some very challenging sections which I had to skip, due to ground clearance and the absence of low range and locking diffs on the Freelander. Oh for a Defender or a Disco. (sigh).
There was lots of mud!
Here, we are about to follow this chap over a steep hill:
Some stills from our in-car video:
Terrain Response set to Mud & Ruts throughout and much use made of Hill Decent Control. I continue to be impressed and pleased with the performance of “R2”.
In a carpark full of Land Rovers he felt right at home. Parking Rules Applied.
It was great to be using the Freelander in the environment for which it was designed! And yes, we went round the course several times!
I have finally started the famously difficult geocache: “Your Mission…“. This is widely held to be one of the best geocaches ever and is one I have planned to do for several years. Unfortunately other “life events” have got in the way over the last few years but now I’m in a position where I can go for it.
If you know anything about this cache, you’ll know how long it takes to complete. I’ve done a few stages before running out of time so I’ll keep you updated as I progress towards the final. Once I’ve done it I will try to encapsulate the experience in a blog. Bet you can’t wait!
I’ve been annoyed at the laggardly behaviour of our iMac, currently running El Capitan, 10.11.6 . We’ve had the old girl for a few years now and I was sure that successive OS X upgrades had left some crud clogging it up – somewhere!
Even though I had cleaned up the Login Items for each user in System Preferences, I suspected there were other App “helpers” still running.
(Follow along if you want to try this at home).
Make sure you have a good backup.
Start up in Safe Mode (Hold <Shift> throughout startup).
Open a Finder window and go to Macintosh HD/Library/Launch Agents
In my case, I found these files:
com.adobe.ARMDCHelper.<a very long hex number>.plist
The first 2 related to Adobe Air and the Adobe Auto Updater. I thought I had deleted Adobe Air a long time ago but on further investigation I found it was still there! So I deleted it. I also deleted Adobe Acrobat reader because I no longer use it. I then deleted the .plist files. Of course, if you find similar files and you use Adobe Air or other Adobe products, you won’t want to delete them. Obviously your requirements will differ from mine.
The third file was more “interesting”. This is an auto update Daemon which Google uses to check for updates to products you have installed. In my case, the Chrome browser and NIK plug-ins. I decided to find out how often it “phones home”.
In Terminal, type:
defaults read com.google.Keystone.Agent and press <Return>
It spits out a lot of stuff about the Apps it checks, etc., ending with:
checkInterval = 18000;
Hmm. That’s every 5 hours. Overkill, I thought. So I changed the interval to once a week:
Of course, you could delete the daemon completely but I decided against that.
Lastly, I deleted the caches in Macintosh HD/Library/Caches, that’s <File -> Select All> then <File -> Move to Trash>. I then did the same for each user in Macintosh HD/Users/<user name>/Library/Caches. This will remove any old, broken or corrupt caches which might be causing a problem. It is safe to delete the caches as OS X will create new ones the next time the user logs in.
Finally, I restarted the Mac (still in Safe Mode) and emptied each user’s Trash. Once that was completed, I restarted the Mac normally.