CHARGE! is a new free broadcast network featuring action programming including movies, series and sports entertainment. Watch action stars, every-day heroes and insane athletes engaged in battles, chases, showdowns and so much more. CHARGE! Ready for Action.
It looks like some mamas let their babies grow up to be cowboys, and a number of them are showing off their cattle rustlin’ skills in a new reality show.
The Paramount Network scored a hit in recent years with their modern cowboy drama series Yellowstone, starring Kevin Costner, and now that show’s creator is giving some real-life cowboys their due. According to Deadline, the new series from Tyler Sheridan “spotlights the highly-skilled horsemen and trainers competing in the intense, high-stakes world of professional reining,” following eight real cowboys and cowgirls who “are determined to elevate and preserve the cowboy tradition as they train and engage in the exclusive ultra-competitive sport.”
Reining is a traditional western horse competition, where riders lead their mounts through a series of complicated moves — sometimes at a fast pace. “What many people don’t know is that some of the greatest cowboys in the world aren’t living and working on ranches; they’re competing in one of the world’s most elite sports,” said executive producers Glenda Hersh and Steven Weinstock. “Riders, trainers, and horses perform at spectacular levels, and the drama and stakes of reining are as intense as any professional sport – with major money also on the line.”
It’s good to see some real cowboys on TV, but we here at CHARGE! still have a soft spot for Hollywood’s take on the profession. Check out our Weekly Westerns by checking our schedule here.
One of the most bizarre celebrity news stories in recent memory has to be Justin Bieber randomly challenging Tom Cruise to an MMA fight on Twitter. Pretty much everyone assumes this fight will never happen, but at least one person thinks it could — and he just happens to be someone who could make it happen.
First, a little background. Back on June 9, Bieber took to his Twitter and, out of the blue, tweeted the following: “I wanna challenge Tom Cruise to fight in the octagon. Tom if you [don’t] take this fight [you’re] scared and you will never live it down. Who is willing to put on the fight? @danawhite ?” Bieber quickly backtracked, saying that the tweet was a joke and admitting what we were all thinking: that Cruise would knock his block off. “I was just messing around. I don’t know him,” Bieber told TMZ. “It was just a random tweet. I do that stuff sometimes. I’m pretty sure Tom would probably whoop my ass in a fight.”
I wanna challenge Tom Cruise to fight in the octagon. Tom if you dont take this fight your scared and you will never live it down. Who is willing to put on the fight? @danawhite ?
Now it may seem like that would be the end of this strange story — but it isn’t. UFC President Dana White recently chimed in on the matter, revealing that he has had conversations relating to a fight between the two stars… and he believes Cruise would actually be willing to get into the ring. “I’m not going to say any names, but I’m just going to tell you that I got a phone call from a couple of real guys who said that they really do want to do this fight and they believe that Tom Cruise would do the fight,” White told TMZ Sports. “And I told them, ‘I’ll tell you this: If that’s true, and if everybody involved in this thing really wants to do it, we can talk.'”
Tom Cruise vs. Justin Bieber UFC Fight Could Happen, Says Dana White - YouTube
But even that’s not the end of this saga. On June 20, TMZ reported that a week earlier on June 14, a secret phone call took place between Ari Emanuel, the co-CEO of the company that owns UFC; Bieber’s manager, Scooter Braun; and White. During the call, Emanuel stated the fight “had to happen,” White said he supported the idea “100 percent,” and Braun guaranteed that Bieber would fight if Cruise agreed to it. Emanuel then stated his confidence that Cruise would agree to a fight.
This is all completely insane, but it’s apparently less insane than it seemed a week ago. Could Tom Cruise and Justin Bieber actually fight each other in the octagon? Stranger things have happened… but we sure can’t think of any.
More than 50 years on, the chase scene from Steve McQueen’s Bullitt is still considered to be one of — if not the — best car chase scenes ever put to film. Now, the actor’s son is helping to recreate the scene and in doing so proves that his dad’s work is truly timeless.
In the new season of Discovery’s auto restoration reality series Fast N’ Loud, Richard Rawlings and his crew team with Chad McQueen to rebuild a 1969 Ford Mustang GT Fastback to look just like the one from the film before taking the car to the hills of San Francisco. There, it will square off against a black Dodge (in this case, the opponent appears to be a modern Challenger rather than a ’68 Charger 440 Magnum) in a modern recreation of the iconic Bullitt scene. Is your adrenaline pumping yet?
The elder McQueen’s love for cars and racing is well documented, but son Chad is no slouch either. He has a long history as a professional racecar driver at various levels, and he owns the company McQueen Racing, which creates custom cars and motorcycles.
It’s not clear from the preview whether or not Chad McQueen actually gets behind the wheel of the new Bullitt Mustang on the streets of San Francisco, but whoever ends up driving during the recreation, it looks like it’s going to be a thrilling ride. The season premiere of Fast N’ Loud will air on Discovery on Monday, July 8 at 9 EST/8 CST. And to see Steve McQueen in action, be sure to catch The Thomas Crown Affair on CHARGE! on Friday, Jun 21 at 8 EST/PST, 7 CST, and 9 MST.
The delays plaguing the production of Bond 25 are well documented. From a director change to star Daniel Craig’s ankle injury to an explosion on set that injured a crew member, the movie has had a pretty rough go of things. But despite the film’s bad luck, the production is still chugging along — and no one seems more dedicated to getting things back on track than James Bond himself.
On June 15, the official James Bond Twitter account tweeted out a picture of Craig working out with his broken ankle in a protective boot, showing the lengths the actor is willing to go to to get back into his Aston Martin in record time. In the photo, Craig is seated on a workout bench doing some rows with a resistance band. And we’ve got to say, other than the boot, the 51-year-old actor looks great. Just judging from the photo, he appears to be more jacked than ever, and definitely looks like he’s ready for whatever Bond 25 villain Rami Malek has in store. And apparently, all that hard work is paying off, as the tweet claims Craig will be back to filming this week.
The 25th Bond film, which is expected to be Craig’s last in the role, still has not revealed its title. It has recently revealed its plot, however, and it sounds like it’s going to lean more heavily into spy territory than many of the franchise’s recent entries:
“Bond has left active service and is enjoying a tranquil life in Jamaica. His peace is short-lived when his old friend Felix Leiter from the CIA turns up asking for help. The mission to rescue a kidnapped scientist turns out to be far more treacherous than expected, leading Bond onto the trail of a mysterious villain armed with dangerous new technology.”
Bond 25 is scheduled for release on April 3 in the UK and April 8 in the U.S.
Gladiator is an all-time classic film. The 2000 epic won five Oscars, including Best Picture and Best Actor for Russell Crowe, and has an impressive legacy as one of the most acclaimed films of the modern era. But that’s not stopping a couple of producers from risking its reputation and making a sequel two decades later.
Producers Walter F. Parkes and Laurie MacDonald, who worked on the original film, are moving forward on a sequel that will be set 25-30 years after the first film, according to HeyUGuys. Original director Ridley Scott is also involved in some capacity, as MacDonald told the site, “We’re working with Ridley, that’s one we wouldn’t touch unless we felt in a way to do it was legitimate.” According to CinemaBlend, Scott would direct the film. MacDonald also revealed to HeyUGuys that the movie already has a writer in Peter Craig. Craig’s credits include The Town, the final two Hunger Games movies, and the upcoming Top Gun sequel — so he at least has some experience in penning sequels decades after their predecessors.
As for the story, you may be wondering who it’s going to be about considering the previous film’s two main characters — Maximus (Crowe) and Commodus (Joaquin Phoenix) — both died during its climax. Well, the sequel is reportedly going to focus on an adult Lucius, the son of Lucilla, who was a child in the first film. What Lucius would be doing in the film is a mystery, but if it’s going to be called Gladiator 2, we’re guessing he somehow gets roped into fighting in the pits.
A Gladiator sequel may seem odd and necessary, but who knows, maybe it will turn out awesome. We’ll reserve final judgment until we see it for ourselves.
Jim Jarmusch’s cult classic Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai is just about the weirdest samurai movie ever made, and now the acclaimed director will soon be bringing that same weirdness to television in a new Ghost Dog series.
“We’re working on [a] Ghost Dog TV series,” Jarmusch recently told Bloody-Disgusting. “We’re trying to get that going.” Forest Whitaker, who starred in the 1999 film as a modern American hitman who followed the Way of the Samurai, is also said to be involved in the project — though not as an actor. As for Jarmusch, it’s unclear how involved he actually is in the development of the series, as he revealed that he is not the main driving force behind its production.
“I might direct the pilot but I’m more interested in being an executive producer and a kind of guide, which has been my involvement thus far along with (fellow Ghost Dog actor) RZA. So we’ve kind of been working together,” Jarmusch said. “They have a script for a pilot that I had no involvement in — except some ideas — that I really like. So yeah, we’re working on that, but beyond that, I don’t know.” RZA’s involvement actually makes a lot of sense here. The Wu-Tang Clan rapper made his acting and film scoring debut in the original movie, and later went on to write, direct, and star in the 2012 martial arts film The Man with the Iron Fists.
It will be interesting to see how this project shapes up. The plot and characters are a total mystery at the moment, but whatever the final series ends up looking like, we think it’s safe to say that it will be like nothing else on TV.
The new Shaft may just be hitting theaters this week, but there’s already talk of a sequel. Can ya dig it?
The film is the fifth big screen outing for the ultra-cool detective, following Richard Roundtree’s trilogy of Blaxploitation outings in the ’70s and the Samuel L. Jackson-starring sequel/semi-reboot from 2000. The newest version, also a sequel, retcons the relationship between Roundtree’s original John Shaft and Jackson’s younger John Shaft, making them father and son rather than uncle and nephew like they were in 2000’s Shaft. The new film also adds a third John Shaft, played by Jessie Usher, who is the son of Jackson’s character and grandson of Roundtree’s. Boy, when did Shaft get so confusing?
Whatever the current state of Shaft‘s family dynamics, current Shaft director Tim Story likes the direction the franchise is heading — and he’s already expressed plans to bring all three Shafts back for another sequel. “I’d bring everybody back,” Story said at the film’s press day, according to CinemaBlend. “I think, what was great at the end of this movie was you saw (the) family come together. And when you see that, I don’t see how you could do anything [other] than bring everybody back, and let everybody have a gun, and, you know, let the Shafts happen.”
Of course, whether or not this Shaft earns a sequel will no doubt hinge on how well it performs at the box office. Shaft is an old property, and if the plethora of unflattering reviews for the newest incarnation are to be believed, it’s also an outdated one. So if audiences don’t show up to theaters to see the man who would risk his neck for his brother, then Story may not get the chance to bring anybody back for a sequel.
Alfred Pennyworth is best known as Batman’s elderly and gentlemanly butler, but the new series Pennyworth will completely change the way you look at the classic character.
In the first trailer for the upcoming series, we’re introduced to a very different Alred Pennyworth. This suave young Englishman knows how to handle himself in a fight, can rock a tux like nobody’s business, and makes ladies swoon without even trying. He’s basically a young James Bond, and we’re starting to see why even Batman looks up to the guy. The series takes place in the 1960s and follows Pennyworth as he first comes into the employ of billionaire Thomas Wayne, Bruce Waynes’ future father/dead man walking. But this Alfred Pennyworth is not fetching tea and tending to gardens. Oh no. Wayne hires him to provide security, and Pennyworth wastes no time in establishing himself as a total badass who is more than up to the task. Jack Bannon portrays Alfred in what could be a star-making role for the young English actor.
Pennyworth (EPIX 2019 Series) Trailer (120 seconds) – DC Origin Story, Alfred Pennyworth - YouTube
The feel of the trailer is certainly not what we were expecting for an origin story about a butler, as it pretty much goes full-on spy thriller. Not that we’re complaining, by the way, because it actually looks pretty fun. Even the series’ poster looks more like a new Bond or Mission: Impossible film than anything having to do with a comic book.
Pennyworth is executive produced by Bruno Heller, who also developed fellow Batman prequel series Gotham. The new series is set to debut on Epix on July 28.
When Indiana Jones 5 was first announced back in 2016, the film came along with a July 2019 release date. That obviously isn’t happening, with the movie’s release date having since been moved to 202o in 2017, and then again to 2021 last year. But it looks like the film may actually keep its current release date, as Harrison Ford has just announced when filming will start for Indy’s next adventure.
Following an appearance at the opening of Disneyland’s Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, Ford spoke with Variety about the next Indiana Jones film, and revealed that they “should be starting to shoot sometime next year,” adding, “I’m looking forward to it. Things are coming along well.” A 2020 starting date for filming Indiana Jones 5 certainly makes sense given the movie’s 2021 release date, but it’s still good to hear it straight from the fedora-wearing horse’s mouth.
As for what the movie will actually be about, that remains a mystery. It’s expected to act as a sequel to 2008’s Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, despite that film’s less-than-stellar reputation with fans. Crystal Skull took place in the 1950s, and given that Indy 5 will be released 13 years later, a 1960s setting would seem to make the most sense. There’s also the question of Ford’s age and what effect that could have on the film. Ford will turn 79 within a week of the film’s release, but as he’s proven many times over, the actor doesn’t seem to feel the effects of aging like the rest of us. In other words, he doesn’t belong in a museum just yet.
All that is really known about Indy 5 is that Ford is starring, Steven Spielberg is returning to direct, and the film will be released on July 9, 2021. Any details beyond that are as mysterious as the contents of those other boxes in the warehouse at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Images courtesy of Lucasfilm/Paramount Pictures, GIPHY
Generally speaking, when it comes to World War II movies, the battle against the Nazis gets all the attention. The bulk of the classics, from Patton to Saving Private Ryan to Dunkirk, all deal with the war in Europe. But now, the Pacific Theater will be getting its cinematic due thanks to the upcoming blockbuster, Midway.
The film, from Independence Day director Roland Emmerich, will tell the story of the Battle of Midway. The three-day battle began on June 4, 1942, and when it was over, represented the Americans’ first major victory over Japan. Woody Harrelson stars in the film as real-life Midway commander Admiral Chester Nimitz, along with an ensemble cast including Luke Evans, Patrick Wilson, Mandy Moore, Dennis Quaid, Nick Jonas, Aaron Eckhart, and Darren Criss. The film’s first poster is below, and while it’s simple in design, it certainly conveys a gritty and realistic depiction of the war.
Military.com spoke with Emmerich about the film, and the director revealed that the production has gone to extreme lengths in its quest for authenticity. “We knew from the very beginning we had to build everything,” Emmerich said. “The biggest problem we had was that we had to make this indoors because we have to shoot everything with bluescreen in order to constantly have the light to change. So that’s what we did. We went to Montreal, where they have a very, very big stage, and built a flight deck or part of a flight deck. We had to build the planes … We had to pretty much create everything. When you can create everything, then naturally you can be absolutely exact.”
Midway will arrive in theaters on November 13, more than 77 years after the battle that inspired it. And for more WWII action, check out CHARGE!’s selection of classics here.