Socks can add a fun pop of color and variety to your wardrobe, all while helping to keep your feet protected and dry throughout the day. Yet, how much do you really know about this fun and functional article of clothing? If you are like most people, you have probably not given much thought to where your socks come from or their fascinating history. To help catch you up, here are thirteen fun, random, and useless things you likely never knew about socks.
1. "Socks"- The Origin of The Word: Like many words in the English Language, the modern word "sock" has evolved over time, having come from the Old English word "socc", meaning 'light slipper'. Socc comes from the Latin word "soccus" used to describe a 'light, low-heeled shoe'. The word sock is likely also derived from the Ancient Greek "sykkos", which referred to a thin shoe worn with sandals.
2. Why We Wear Socks: At some point in your life it would be natural for you to have questioned why we wear socks. Is it done out of tradition? Or do socks provide a function? It turns out that the latter is the case. Socks provide an important function by protecting your shoes from your body's sweat, as your feet sweat nearly half a liter a day. Socks also help prevent the bacteria from forming in your shoes that can lead to smelly feet. Additionally, socks provide vital padding to your feet that prevents chafing and rubbing, and socks also help to provide extra cushion to your feet, making them a vital part of your wardrobe.
3. A Brief History of The Sock: Socks have been used to keep feet warm, healthy, and dry for millennia, with the oldest surviving pair of socks that have been discovered dating back to between 250 and 420 CE. These socks were discovered in the ruins of a Greek colony along The Nile River in Egypt and are made of woven wool. The earliest socks were likely made of animal skins gathered and tied around the ankles. Later, the Romans used leather and woven fabrics to make socks. As technology and fashion evolved, so did socks, leading to the variety of styles, designs, colors, and fabrics we see today.
4. Toe Socks: The Original Sock? While it is now often considered to be a fashion faux pas to wear socks with sandals, and toe socks have become more of a novelty item, it is likely that early socks were actually made to be worn with sandals. The oldest socks discovered that we previously mentioned featured a split toe, making it easy and comfortable for them to be worn with sandals, and it is likely that early socks were actually meant to be worn with sandals.
5. The Greeks Wore Fur Socks: By the 8th century, it was popular amongst the Greeks to wear socks made out of matted animal furs. As you can imagine, these socks were extremely hot and make us grateful for the breathable sock materials we have today!
6. Socks Were Once a Status Symbol: By about the 10th century, socks had transformed from purely functional footwear to a fashion symbol. This was primarily due to the fact that making comfortable, fashionable socks was a time-consuming process only affordable to the rich. Nobles, royals, and kings alike wore knee-high stockings as a way to express their financial and class standings, as long silken socks were considered a status symbol at the time.
7. Socks and The Origin of Knitting Machines: By 1589, socks were a necessity but still took a great deal of time to make. However, an English clergyman named William Lee aimed to scale down the time to produce socks so that his wife, who made money knitting, would not have to work so hard. This led him to invent the first knitting machine that was able to knit eight times faster than hand knitting.
8. Queen Elizabeth Was Picky About Socks: After inventing his stocking knitting machine, Lee approached Queen Elizabeth to patent his invention. However, as legend has it, Lee's request was thrown out as the wool socks he made were not up to her standards. Lee then reworked his machine to produce finer, silk stockings, but his patent was again rejected as the court worried that his machine would put knitting artists out of business.
9. Albert Einstein Hated Socks: Albert Einstein was known for being eccentric. One such eccentricity was the fact that he despised socks and never wore them after giving them up at a young age. He claimed that not only did he not see the point of wearing both shoes and socks, but he said it annoyed him that his socks would form holes because of his big toes.
10. The Sock Capital of The World! Believe it or not, there is actually a sock capital of the world. The Datang district in eastern China is the top producer of socks in the world, producing roughly 40% of the world's socks each year. This has caused it to become known as "Sock City", as it is estimated that in one year they make enough socks to supply two pairs for every person in the world.
11. Sustainable Sock Materials: While recent years have seen a rise in environmental awareness and people trying to take steps to be more environmentally-friendly, you are not alone if you have given little thought as to which sock material is best for the environment. Most socks are made from natural fibers such as bamboo, tencel, cotton, silk, and wool, with cotton being one of the most common choices. However, if you are looking for a sustainable sock option, you should consider switching to bamboo as bamboo grows extremely quickly, requires no pesticides, is completely biodegradable, and it requires one-third of the water to grow that cotton requires.
12. Does Your Sock Have a Clock? While your socks are not likely meant to actually keep time, the area on a sock around the ankle from where a pattern may run up the side of the leg is known as the clock. It is likely that this term comes from the way the stitched or woven pattern can look like clock hands when viewed from far away.
13. You Can Join a Sock of The Month Club! Now that you know all of these awesome and random facts about socks, you may be in the mood to buy more fun and exciting socks to add to your collection. Well, did you know that you can join a sock of the month club? At "Say it with a Sock", you can sign up for a membership that will send fun socks to your doorstep each month. When you sign up, you will even have the option to decide how many pairs of socks, and in what style, you want delivered to you each month for your membership. Contact us to learn about how much fun a sock of the month club can be!
Your socks are one of the most fun parts of your outfit, but they often don't get nearly the recognition they deserve! Whether you're headed to a fun location this year and want to be sure that your socks are included in your pictures or you're simply looking for a few more fun sock selfies to round out your Instagram profile, check out some of these 19 perfect places for sock selfies.
1. At the Beach
It's the first night you arrived at the beach, and you aren't wearing sandals yet--but you have to run down and check out the sand and surf anyway. While you're down there, take a fun sock selfie: step into tree pose with one foot firmly planted in the sand and one sock on the beach, then snap away!
2. On Your Couch
You're all curled up for a night in: you have your favorite fuzzy blanket, a great book or movie, your favorite snacks--and a great pair of socks! Pull your knees up, poke your toes out from under the blankets, and take a fun sock selfie before you settle in for your quiet night.
3. At the Zoo
Head out to the zoo with your favorite animal-themed socks. Now, find the animal reflected on your socks. Ready to draw some smiles? Extend your leg out in front of you, propping it on a rail or fence. Make sure to get your new critter friend in the picture, too!
4. At the Aquarium
The zoo is fun enough, but heading off to the aquarium brings plenty of new opportunities for fun sock selfies. Slip off your shoes, put your toes up next to the glass, and get a fun sock selfie as you wiggle your toes at the fish. Luckily, the glass is in the way, so you won't be mistaken for a worm!
5. At the Movies
Are you headed out to see a new movie at the theater? Do your socks happen to match the theme? Prop your feet up on the seat in front of you or on a convenient rail and snap away. Just make sure not to take this particular sock selfie in the middle of the feature!
6. On the Seas
Heading out on a boat, either on the ocean or at a lake or river? It's another perfect chance for a sock selfie! Put your feet up, making sure to catch plenty of water in the picture, and take a fun sock selfie!
7. On a Hayride
There's nothing quite like a hayride for kicking back and relaxing with your friends--and taking a few fun pictures. Bury your feet in the hay, then let them peek out just a little. Bonus points if you're able to get your friends in the shot, too!
8. Sleeping In Together
When you're having a sleepover with your closest friends, there's nothing more fun than a little selfie action. Stand in a circle with your feet pointing toward one another in your favorite socks, point the camera down, and snap! You have a fun new memory of your night in with your friends.
9. At the Campground
Even on the warmest summer night, you want to bundle up a little when you're out camping. Stretch out on top of your sleeping bag, then wiggle your toes in your favorite socks. Take a fast picture--you can always share it when you're back in range of your WiFi.
10. Out with that Special Someone
You're pretty sure you and your special someone have taken every selfie known to man together, especially where it relates to the attractions in your area--but have you taken a sock selfie? Take a quick snap of your toes pointing in toward each other--or even better, stand with one of you behind the other, your feet tucked around each other.
Are you swinging high through the air, enjoying that feeling of being just like a kid again? Stretch your toes a little further, balance carefully, and take a fun sock selfie with your toes stretching toward the sky. Disclaimer: this should only be attempted by those who can balance a camera or phone and swing without falling!
12. On Your Hammock
There's nothing more relaxing than swaying in the breeze on your favorite hammock--unless it's doing it while wearing your favorite socks. Prop your feet up, cross your ankles, and show off that perfect relaxing day.
13. In a Changing Room
You've been hunting all day for the perfect outfit. Clothes might be failing you, but your trusty socks never will! Let your socks peek out from beneath the hem of a new pair of jeans or stand there in socks alone as you declare your battle done once and for all.
14. At the Barre
Whether you take ballet class or indulge in a barre workout session on a regular basis, it's one of your favorite places--and before the warm-up begins, your socks go along with you. Extend one foot out in front of you on the barre, then take a fun picture as you stretch out over your leg.
15. Under the Tree
The Christmas light are glowing, presents surround the tree, and--what's this? A new pair of Christmas socks? Poke your toes under the Christmas tree in your new favorite socks and take a sock selfie that shows off the lights, too.
16. Before You Race
You're headed for the finish line--but first, you want to show off the outfit you chose for race day. Prop up on your toes on one foot, plant the other one flat, and show off your socks in front of the backdrop for your race.
17. On Your Balcony
Hanging out on your balcony, looking over at a great view? Bend your knees a little, prop both feet up on the railing, and take a fantastic picture of your view that shows off your socks, too.
18. At the Pool
When you have a fun pair of mermaid socks that you just can't wait to show off, slide down beside the pool, slip on your socks, and position your feet like fins. It's time to swim!
19. At the Park
Hanging out on a picnic blanket at your favorite park? Pull of your shoes, prop your feet on your blanket, and take a fun sock selfie with your gathered friends.
Sock selfies are a break from the norm and a fun way to show off your favorite socks. How will you sock selfie today?
HAPPY THANKSGIVING—America (and Canada's) national holiday focused on family and gluttonous overeating has finally arrived! It's about that time of year where it really starts to feel like the holidays are here. Get excited to spend the next few days surrounded by family and friends, food and beverages, TV's and couches, Thanksgiving socks (we'll get to this shortly), and obviously a lot more food. But you probably already knew all of this.
As a super exciting sock of the month club, we feel it is our national duty to educate you on all of your options to win the best Thanksgiving socks award. "The best thanksgiving socks award?"—you ask—"I've never heard of such a thing." Not to worry, this is what our sock subscription service is all about, informing you about all the best types of contests and then teaching you how to win them. So even if the best thanksgiving socks award doesn't yet exist in your family, just realize that we're giving you a leg up in your family's future annual competition. (We know it's preemptive, but you're welcome.)
So, this Thanksgiving, we want you to stand out from the bunch, and shine a little brighter after you participate in the Superbowl of all meals. This year we want you to put a little more thought into your outfit—we want you to expand your festive attire options beyond you autumn color palette sweaters and your most socially appropriate pair of waistless stretch pants. This year we want to educate you on socks, so that you show up to your Thanksgiving feast in the best, most festively appropriate Thanksgiving Socks. Check out the list below to find the pair of fun Thanksgiving socks that will make you a shoe-in to win the best Thanksgiving socks award.
For those of you wishing you could get a different pair of fun Thanksgiving-themed socks delivered to your door every month—in order to go undefeated in the best Thanksgiving socks competition for years to come—we're sorry to say that this unique type of sock subscription doesn't exist. However, Say it with Sock is an awesome sock of the month club that will deliver fun socks to your door every month giving you one of the most colorful and eclectic sock collections out there.
***Disclaimer: We're a sock of the month club devoted to the brightest, best, most outlandish, super fantastic socks on the market and believe that sock designs can and should be as out of the box as you'll let them. All of the socks on our best Thanksgiving socks list stay true to the autumn season color palette (shades or brown, orange, green, grey, and black). While you should get whatever socks look best on your feet, we believe in the motto the bolder the better!
Thanksgiving is just around the corner. It’s a favorite holiday for many of us and features the 3 awesome F’s: Food, Family, and Funky Socks. Provided that you are not a turkey, we all have something to be grateful for. Really, what’s not to love about an extra day off, solely dedicated to stuffing your face with delicious eats? But we all know that sometimes those large get-togethers can be a little crazy and stressful. No worries, we got your back and created a few handy little tips to help you prepare for some smooth sailing for the big day - smooth like gravy, that is.
If you are invited to a dinner, make sure you bring something. And don’t bring something crappy like a 2-litre bottle of soda that gives away just how lazy you really are. Whether you despise or are just completely inadequate at cooking, here is the ultimate trick. In the 1950’s a bunch of cookbooks came out that all featured horribly disgusting recipes made with jello that ignited a temporary fad amongst housewives. Go find one of those cookbooks at a thrift store and you will be forever spared. First of all, ANYONE can make jello. Second of all ,once you add in the ham, bread, mayonnaise, tuna or whatever else the recipe calls for you can bet that ain't nobody gonna eat it. As long as it looks presentable in a nice little casserole dish, you will get the bonus points for putting in the effort even though everyone is suddenly apologetically just too full to try it.
Love ‘em, but they can drive you nuts. We all have that weird, embarrassing uncle that we see for 5 hours a year and struggle to make conversation with. Spare yourself the painful chit chat about how no, miraculously you haven’t wet the bed since you were 5 years old and take control by wearing some super flashy socks. Totally awesome distraction, guaranteed. Another thing to remember about family. Do not, for ANY reason make plans to go Black Friday shopping together. Christmas and Hanukkah are like a month away, feuds will not be resolved by then.
The best part about Thanksgiving! You still have a week to plan which perfect pair to wear. Will it be traditional turkeys or drunken flamingos? Savvy stripes, funky polka-dots or nifty pattern socks? Perhaps a fashion show with a few sock changes throughout the day to reflect your current mood. Whatever socks you choose, make sure to enjoy the day and get enough awesome eats to give you total turkey brain. Rock ‘em, sock ‘em and kick up those feet to relax, you just survived another holiday.
Oh, and one last thing! Why did the pilgrims’ pants fall down? Because they wore their buckles on their hats……..
Winter is coming! People of the world rejoice because you know what this means.... It's fuzzy socks and sweater season! For those of you who aren't familiar with fuzzy socks and sweater season, it's a time of year that falls on October 1st and lasts until about the end of March.
It's a time where we embrace the fact that it's cold outside, and make an effort to keep our tops and toes warm in the best way—with fabulous fuzzy socks and soft chunky sweaters. After all, if it's gonna be cold out, you may as well decorate yourself in the fuzziest and comfiest ways possible.
If you're not someone whose started to look toward to fuzzy socks and sweater season, we want to show you some of the hype and enthusiasm that surrounds it and then help fulfill your fuzzy sock dreams.
1. Shopping for winter is easy, effortless, and fun
2. Conversation points are not hard to come by
3. Life during this season involves the following
4. Getting dressed for class is a no brainer
5. You'll be uber confident in you're style choices
6. Find the key to someone's heart
7. Discover the answer to unconditional love
8. Understand the truth behind happiness
9. Become a good judge of character
Well, there you have it. Nine serious reasons to freak out about fuzzy socks and sweater season. To buy yourself some fuzzy socks, simply click on the links below!
Father's Day is around the corner, so stop looking for the perfect gift, we've already found it. "WHAT?!" you say. It's true! We've spent years testing different gizmos, gadgets, sweat pants, sweaters, and restaurant vouchers on dad, and after creating some very colorful pie graphs—some of which have nothing to do with anything‚ we've determined that none of these gifts are the correct answer to father's day. (See for yourself below). Our fathers day sock subscription is the best possible gift to give your dad.
This year sign pops up for a gift he really wants, a super fun sock of the month club, guaranteed* to put a smile on his face. The process is easy. Just got to Say it with a Sock and follow the simple instructions. Decide if you want to send him one or two pairs of socks a month, choose if you want to send him a three, six, or twelve month subscription, fill out all necessary personal shipping/billing information, and type out a nice message (we'll handwrite it on a cute custom card). Then sit back, relax, and wait for your dad to tell you you're his favorite child (unless your sibling is also a genius and decides to sign dad up for the best sock of the month club). It's that easy.
Remember, if you choose to send dad a six or twelve month subscription, we'll send you a pair of socks on us, as a free gift. How cool is that? You get a gift for being nice enough to give your father a gift! There has never been a truer definition of "winning".
Go ahead and be a winner. Get dad a sock subscription for father's day. He'll remember how wonderful you are even month's after the holiday is over.
*We can't actually guarantee that you will see your father smile, because we don't know your father personally. If he's the kind of guy who has a huge mustache that covers his mouth, we take no responsibility for the fact that you can't see his pearly whites. If he's a doctor, dentist, or surgeon and wears a doctors mask when he open's his sock of the month club surprise, it's not our fault that you won't be able to see his grin. Additionally, if your father has RBF, we make no promises there either.
Ready to sock size your personality? It’s true, socks are like a window into your soul. A comfy, stylish and spectacular palette that stakes your claim in the world. You already know that they are an essential fashion accessory but do you know what your socks say about you? Our sock of the month club sends you amazing men's, women's or kid's socks each month!
Crazy, Fun Patterns
Think TacoSaurus or Beer Pong socks. You gotta sense of adventure, a rebellious streak and ain’t gonna let nobody put your feet in a corner. Crazy creative patterns show that you are approachable and will probably strike up a conversation with anyone, anywhere and within minutes could be bungee jumping or hopping a train to California.
Vibrant Block Patterns
Hello, Boss Bitch and Alpha Male. You mean business, are hungry for power and can get a ton of shit done. Huge business meeting? You got this. Ready to take over the world? No problem. Filled with strength and wisdom? Obviously.
Your vivacious and innovative but crave a little formal structure. You prefer a more subtle, chilled out revolution against conformity and believe killer style will lead the way. The arsenal of striped socks in your drawer is stealthy building your brand as a creative and gutsy mover and shaker that is totally expected to break and bend the rules.
You golf. You’re obsessed. You’re not reading this blog because you are golfing.
You are either incredibly lazy or you are a true free spirit that refuses to be dictated by social standards. You’re independent, confident, a visionary and possibly a slob, but you are turning heads and making one helluva statement. People wish they had your balls and such a quick morning routine.
You’re boring and your mother is still doing your shopping. White sock means no sparkle and pop in your personality. How did your personality sock size up? Remember that no matter what, any day you rock the crazy, fun sock game, you step out your door a true champion.
March can be a funny month. The holiday aftermath can leave us bloated, broke, and just plain bored. So how does the average guy or gal that is semi-hibernating have a little fun and break out of the winter blahs? They look to their super amazing, fun socks for inspiration. And then they rock their instagram socks with the colorful bliss that nothing other than the funkiest pair of socks can bring. So take that February. You can’t keep happy, styling feet down. Convinced to join in on the socks apparel revolution and stake your claim on the interweb? Cool. Don’t start just yet, we have a few style hacks to make sure your awesome kicks get the attention they deserve.
It’s All About the Light, Baby
Just because you are rocking true sock awesomeness and rolled up your pant leg doesn’t mean you’re ready for the money shot. Get some good light, yo! Those puppies need to pop out! You know the saying ‘it starts with a canvas’ or something like that...whatever, just make sure you are properly illuminating so those Amaro, Gingham and Hudson filters can truly flatter.
Beware of Your Surroundings
Yeah, sure your Hot Peppermint socks are bitchin’ but that dirty underwear on your floor not so much. The devil is in the details, you eager beaver. Hold up and at least move your clutter away from your photo frame. The result? Your fun socks get all the attention and no trolls will be judging your messy habits.
Rock the Hashtag
If you think we are talking about the landline phone ‘pound sign’ stop right here. You’re probably not a good candidate for February Instagram awesomeness. For everyone else, you gots to get it right. The recommended number of tags for an Instagram post is 10-12 and you need to get a little more creative than just #socks….add some personality people. Are you feeling #dapper in your #sockgame or just received some amazing #sockswag? That's better! Have you become a #socks addict and taken the most boss pic of your monthly Say It With A Sock delivery? Make sure you tag #sayitwithasock because we love featuring our favorites on our Instagram Account. See, becoming winter famous is so within your reach! Now you’re all set to have a Friday night full of thrills and giggles showing off your impeccable taste in socks apparel. Happy clicking and filtering!
Valentine's Day is just around the corner and if you haven't gotten the memo, chocolate is oh so overrated. Stuck with finding the perfect way to celebrate this year? Nothing beats snuggling up with your special someone (or cat) with a cozy pair of fun socks (from our sock of the month club) that really express your feelings. And c’mon, sock swag is the ultimate, thoughtful gift to bestow upon your true love. Chocolate packs on the pounds and flowers wither and die, but socks...socks are forever. Time to narrow down that sock list and find the most awesome pair to get your cupid on. This is serious business to consider, it’s one day a year, blow it and your sock game has gotta wait for another trip around the sun. Plus, you HAVE to find the perfect pair for your honey. Will it be a tried, tested and true classic heart print? Fuzzy puppies that say ‘i love u’? If those make you gag a little, that's ok, go outside the box. Seek a wickedly fun design based on a pun, like French Toast socks that say ‘Oui, Oui’ or a bright funky Tongue Pop print that is like a million kisses for your sweetheart’s feet. Since at sock club we totally got your back, here’s a little list of snazzy and clever notes to accompany your valentine's sock gift, perfect for any stage of your relationship:
Just Hanging Kinda Awkward Phase
Are you a banana? Because I find you a-peel-ing! If you were a transformer, you’d be Optimus FINE!
Dating But Not Uttering the ‘L’ Word
I’m only in this for your cute butt. Obviously. Happy Valentine's day! I *heart* you! (perfect if you’re not quite ready to take that step but your partner has been not so patiently waiting ..)
For Your True Love
I love you like Kanye loves Kanye Words can't describe my love for you, guess these socks will have to do! Finally, if you find yourself bitter and jaded this Valentines, do not let that ruin a perfectly awesome sock occasion. There are plenty of prints that will show the world just how much you think love bites and keep you looking hella-stylish while doing so.
These are our favorite valentines day socks from our friends at Sock Search
Once upon a time, in a land far away, some ancient Greek dude decided that he was sick and tired of having cold feet. After some contemplation and a few trial and errors (we assume) the first versions of what we call socks were worn. These kickers were made from matted animal hair, wrapped around the foot and tied at the ankle. Quite the rage at the time. Also, quite the smell. Next time you are grossed out about your gym sneaker sock stench, be thankful you didn’t just run a 5-mile marathon with your feet covered in goat hair.
So how did we earthlings get from that to a wonderful world of vibrant, fun and stylish socks that can even be delivered to your door via monthly subscription? A few key developments occurred (thankfully) that have brought us to where we are today.
In the 11th century, knitted socks were introduced. Initially designed to help ease the pain of chafing from walking around in those horribly uncomfortable medieval clunkers, they quickly became a status symbol for wealth and prestige. By the 16th century, the knitting the machine had been invented, helping to make socks more accessible to the other 98%.
It wasn’t until the 20th century that socks became mass produced. With the industrial revolution, advances in factory processes and the availability of cheaper materials such as cotton and nylon had ugly tube socks and boring white socks accessible to everyone.
But then…..we found style. And we rolled with it. The roaring 1920’s brought the patterned argyle sock and the 1980’s delivered neon pink sports socks. Flash forward to 2016 and the world is your oyster, baby. Bacon socks, zebra socks, trippy socks, zigzag socks and every color under the sun can be on your toes in an instant.
What will this century be remembered for? Sock-Obsessed!
Read Full Article
Read for later
Articles marked as Favorite are saved for later viewing.
Scroll to Top
Separate tags by commas
To access this feature, please upgrade your account.