May is Skin Cancer Awareness Month and there are many misconceptions about sun protection.
Sunscreen is essential to keep skin protected from the dangers of sun exposure, including sunburn, sun damage and melanoma. It’s also beneficial in minimizing the aging effects of UV rays, such as fine lines and wrinkles, rough skin and hyper-pigmentation.
1. Sun protection factor (SPF) indicates how much protection a product offers against UVB (B = burning) rays. The increase in SPF protection is marginal between SPF15 and SPF50+.
SPF 15 blocks approximately 93% of all UVB rays
SPF 30 blocks approximately 97%
SPF 50 blocks 98% (an almost complete UVB block)
A higher SPF does not mean that you can spend longer in the sun.
2. Stay out of the sun during peak UVA and UVB hours (10am to 4pm). Wearing protecting clothing (hats, long sleeves and sunglasses) and use umbrellas. You are exposed to UV exposure even on overcast days.
3. SPF is a measure of UVB (“B” for burn). In order to protect against UVB + UVA ("A" for aging, skin damage and the more harmful forms of skin cancer) rays, you must use broad spectrum sun protection.
4. Sunscreen enters bloodstream after just one day of use. According to a recent preliminary pilot study by the Centre for Drug Evaluation and Research found that several common sunscreen ingredients enter the bloodstream in one day at levels high enough to trigger a government safety investigation. It found that the blood concentration of three of the ingredients continued to rise as daily use continued and then remained in the body for at least 24 hours after sunscreen use ended. The four chemicals studied wereavobenzone, oxybenzone, ecamsule and octocrylene. They are part of a dozen that the FDA said need to be researched by manufacturersbefore they can be regarded as safe and effective.
5. Chemical sunscreens are absorbers. They filter/absorb UV rays. Through a chemical reaction, they convert UV rays into heat, then release that heat from the skin.
Physical (mineral) sunscreens, such as titanium dioxide or zinc oxide are reflectors that act as physical blockers. The minerals form a protective barrier on the skin and reflect harmful UV rays before they make contact with the skin’s surface.
6. Reapplication is KEY. Sunscreen should be applied 15 minutes before going outdoors and reapplied at least once every 2 hours. In water, it should be reapplied every 40 minutes, or more.
7. Environmental factors such as elevation, time of year, location and pollution affect the risk of sun exposure. The UV index (UVI) is designed help people to know how to protect themselves against UV rays. The range is from 0 to 11+. The higher the UV Index, the stronger the sun's rays, and the greater the need to protect your skin.
8. Sun protection can be water resistant (40 min), water resistant (80 min) or not water resistant. You’ll need to reapply after being in the water or sweating.
9. Do not fear the sun. Sunscreen and avoiding the sun can reduce Vitamin D levels. Skin produces 90-95% of our Vitamin D when exposed to UVB rays. The remaining 10% is from dietary sources. Vitamin D deficiency is associated with cardiovascular disease, osteoporosis and other health conditions.
10. Use safe, natural and mineral sun protection.
At ORESTA, we strive to keep up-to-date with the latest studies on chemicals in beauty products. We make a conscious effort to be honest and transparent with our customers and provide them with the healthiest and cleanest options.
Hawaii has recently announced that it is working towards banning 'coral bleaching' chemical sunscreens. The FDA has also recently completed a preliminary study on the effects of chemical sunscreens on the body. Until further research is completed, we know that mineral / physical sunscreens are "generally regarded as safe and effective" (GRASE) and have chosen to discontinue retailing any products containing chemical sunscreens.
We do our best to provide the best products for our customers. With this change, the following products will no longer be part of our regular stock. However, they can be special ordered at the customer's request.
Eminence Red Currant Protective Moisturizer SPF 30
Eminence Bright Skin Moisturizer SPF 30
Eminence Tropical Vanilla Day Cream SPF 32
Eminence Tropical Vanilla Body Sunscreen SPF 32
Eminence Vanilla Latte Tinted Moisturizer SPF 25
Eminence Caramel Latte Tinted Moisturizer SPF 25
We are excited to introduce you to a collection of mineral sunscreens. Zinc oxide is known to keep skin cool and breathable. It reflects the heat and energy of the sun’s rays away from the skin, thereby reducing its temperature. For this reason, mineral sunscreen is particularly beneficial in minimizing skin inflammation and redness associated with acne, rosacea and skin sensitivity.
Introducing the Josh Rosebrook Nutrient Day Cream SPF30. This lightweight dual-action day cream performs as a regenerating moisturizer and natural, broad-spectrum sunscreen delivering a potent combination of distinct herbal actives and plant oils to repair, moisturize and protect skin. Unique herbal synergies release skin transforming anti-inflammatories, antioxidants, fatty acids and phytonutrients proven to firm, reduce redness and assist the skin in regeneration. It contains a high quality uncoated, non-nano, high micron zinc oxide for effective sunblock against skin-damaging solar rays without a white cast and offers a matte and smooth finish. Available in regular or tinted formulas.
We are so excited to introduce Eminence's NEW Lilikoi Mineral Defense Collection. The lightweight all-mineral, broad spectrum SPF collection contains three products that are easy to layer. The collection contains zinc oxide, is free of octinoxate and is reef-safe.
Lilikoi Mineral Defense Moisturizer SPF 33is a lightweight SPF 33 mineral sunscreen moisturizer which shields your skin from the appearance of the damaging effects of pollution and environmental elements. Suitable for all skin types, this moisturizer leaves a natural finish, so the skin looks healthy and radiant.
Lilikoi Light Defense Face Primer SPF 23 is alightweight illuminating face primer with SPF visibly improves the appearance of skin exposed to blue light stress and helps prevent sunburn. Layer this mineral primer after your moisturizer or use it as a protective base before you apply foundation or tinted moisturizer. Subtle illuminating properties give the skin a healthy, “lit-from-within” effect, resulting in the appearance of a glowing, radiant complexion.
Lilikoi Mineral Defense Sport Sunscreen SPF 30 is an easy-to-apply, non-greasy sport formulation for the face and body that is water-resistant for up to 40 minutes. Highly effective for outdoor activities like swimming and high-performance sports where perspiration can impact standard sunscreen efficacy, this zinc oxide sunscreen protects from head to toe.
Apply a liberal layer over the face and body 15 minutes before sun exposure and leave on. Reapply at least every 2 hours. Reapply after 40 minutes of swimming or sweating and immediately after towel drying.
Extra tip: To avoid a white case from the zinc oxide, warm up the product between your fingers and gently pat into skin for a flawless finish.
Earth Day Is April 22nd. It's a day for celebrating Planet Earth and bringing awareness to the issues that threaten it including climate change, greenhouse gas emissions, deforestation, overconsumption, pollution, and pesticides....
On Earth Day, we want to become aware of our personal impact on the planet and implementing simple changes that will make a difference in helping support Mother Earth.
Here are our 10 EARTH-FRIENDLY Tips for Earth Day and everyday:
1. Be mindful of your water usage. Reduce water waste by turning off the water when you are brushing your teeth, washing your face and heating up the shower for extended periods of time before hopping in.
2. Unplug! The average Canadian home has 25+ electronic devices and appliances which, when plugged in, continue to draw power even if they are off. This 'phantom power' account for 10% of your home's energy use and can cost $150 per year in electricity.
3. Avoid single-use plastic bags, straws, takeout containers, cutlery... which do not break down. These pollutants end up in our waterways posing a direct threat to marine life. Instead, use more eco-friendly, biodegradable alternatives including reusable cloth bags and paper straws.
4. Contact your bank and utility companies to switch from paper correspondence to online banking and bill payment in order to minimize paper waste.
5. If you drive to school or work, consider carpooling, using public transportation or better yet, walking or cycling.
6. There is no need to keep our water heater at 60°C. To conserve energy and save money, turn it down to 49°C.
7. Invest in indoor plants to not only beautify your office or home but also purify the air. Many indoor plants including Boston fern, aloe vera, bamboo palm, dracaena, ficus and spider plants will remove formaldehyde, benzene and carbon monoxide from the air.
8. Bottled water is expensive and generates an enormous amount of plastic waste. Avoid buying bottled water and invest in a water filter and a glass, copper or BPA-free reusable water bottle instead.
9. Meat and dairy production is taxing on the environment. Reduce your food print by cutting down on red meats such as beef and lamb, incorporate weekly meatless meals, try nut dairy-free milk, shop local and organic.
10. Minimize waste and garbage by sourcing biodegradable, recyclable versions of or alternatives to aluminum foil, coffee filters, paper towels and ziplock bags.
Which of these tips have you already implemented and which seem simple enough to commit to on Earth Day?
Spring is the perfect time to clean and freshen up your living and work space. We have been busy refreshening our shops. On Saturday, April 6th 10am to 5pm, we will be hosting a ONE DAYSALE with 20-70% savings on select items from your favourite healthy beauty brands including Elate Cosmetics, Eminence Organics, ILIA., Raw Elements...
Pop into any of our 3 ORESTA brick + mortar locations t o take advantage of the great savings on your favourite organic skin care, hair care, cosmetics and personal care products. In store only. While quantities last. Sorry, no rain checks.
We are seeking a full-time Retail Spa Manager for our Glebe location.
The individual must be enthusiastic, customer service & sales driven, organized and motivated to manage the spa and retail store and be a part of the ORESTA team.
Requirements: - Minimum 2 years retail sales experience - Proven management experience, preferably within a spa setting - Marketing and social media experience - Strong organizational and time management skills - Impeccable customer service skills with ability to foster and grow client relationships - Polished and professional verbal and written communication skills - Computer proficiency including effective use of point of sale system and social media - Passion for healthy living and a natural lifestyle
Must be available to work: Tuesday to Friday 10-6, Saturday 10-5
Enthusiastic applicants should email their resume with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop them off in person at 464 O'Connor Street.
Show your skin some LOVE + LIFT
Is winter wreaking havoc on our skin? Kiss your dry and dull skin goodbye and show your winter skin the love it deserves!
Our LOVE + LIFT Facial incorporates rose essential oil to calm, heal, hydrate and strengthen winter skin, reduce inflammation and irritation. Our rose quartz crystal tool massages the face, neck and decollete to reduce tension and puffiness, stimulate lymphatic circulation, firm, lift and contour the skin.
The high vibration of rose essential oil stimulates cell regeneration while the rose quartz promotes self love + unconditional love. It strengthens the feminine energy of compassion, raises self-esteem, restores confidence, balances emotions and lowers stress levels.
Book a LOVE + LIFT Facial during the month of February and we would like to treat you to a COMPLIMENTARY Eye + Lip Treatment.
Winter has officially arrived and this winter wonderland also brings harsh temperatures and cold winds that wreak havoc on our skin. Indoor heating and lack of moisture in the air result is dry, itchy, chapped, irritated skin. Our rule of thumb is that when you turn on your furnace, it’s time to adjust your skin care routine to hydrate, heal and protect your winter skin.
Here are 10 simple tips to protect your skin this winter:
1. Avoid foaming facial cleansers which strip the skins natural oils. Skin should never feel squeaky clean after cleansing. Instead, opt for a oil, cream or gel-based cleanser to help support your skin. Rinse with warm water as hot water further dehydrates the skin.
2. Incorporate a toner or hydrosol. This is a crucial part of skin care that is often avoided. Read the ingredient label for hydrosols which are aromatic waters from the steam-distillation of plants. They deliver nourishment to the skin to hydrate and balance, improve the skin's function as a barrier and enhance product absorption. Spray a hydrosol directly onto the face following cleansing and then follow with a few drops of serum to seal moisture into the skin.
3. Add a facial oil serum: The ultimate winter skin-saver for every skin type is an antioxidant-rich facial oil serum. Massage three to four drops directly onto your skin (post hydrosol) or add the serum into your moisturizer and then massage into your skin. The nutrients will be sealed into the skin.
4. Switch to a richer moisturizer or balm. Cold temperatures and wind are dehydrating on skin. Whether you are a skater, skier, walker or a non-winter enthusiast, you experience the harsh indoor-outdoor temperature fluctuations. Adding a nutrient-dense moisturizer or balm will offer a protective shield to your skin to hydrate, heal, calm and soothe your winter skin.
5. Protect your winter skin from the sun. The strength of UV rays doesn’t diminish during the winter months. Snow acts as a reflector and can bounce UV rays back to increase the chance of sunburn. Apply a broad spectrum SPF to the face, ears, hands and lips when outdoors and reapply every two hours.
6. Exfoliate your skin. Remove dull skin and enhance product penetration with a gentle weekly exfoliation. Keep it gentle as over exfoliation can cause further inflammation and increase dryness Do not limit your exfoliation to the face, dry brush your body daily with a natural-fibre brush to exfoliate, detoxify, stimulate circulation and reduces the need to over-apply body lotion.
Join our LOVE YOUR SKIN IN 2019 Facial Club and commit to honouring yourself with a year of healthy beauty. Enjoy a standing monthly Holistic Facial appointment to achieve smooth, firm, radiant, youthful and glowing skin.
Our Holistic Facial combines custom blend organic, sustainably harvested whole plant ingredients with advanced facial sculpting massage and the healing modalities of Traditional Chinese Medicine (Gua Sha), Ayurveda (Kansa), Manual Lymph Drainage, crystals and Connective Tissue Massage.
Experience a natural lift and glow with a reduction in the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, pigmentation, dark circles and puffiness. Enjoy the incredible results that tighten and brighten your face while rejuvenating your body and spirit.
If Monthly LOVE is too frequent for you, enjoy a Holistic Facial every 6 to 8 weeks.
The Jade, Amethyst and Rose Quartz rollers are based on Traditional Chinese Medicine. We incorporate the gemstone rollers into our Holistic Facial treatments to reduce facial tension in the jaw, forehead, neck and eye area, to stimulate lymphatic drainage and blood circulation, to reduce inflammation, to balances chi and to stimulate collagen production. The cooling sensation of the gemstone rollers is also effective in reducing puffiness around the eyes.
We are now offering Jade, Amethyst and Rose Quartz rollers to purchase for home care. Do not be fooled by the plethora of gemstone rollers on the market. All rollers are not created equal. Many are not genuine gemstones but dyed plastic imitation gemstones that do not possess the healing properties of real gemstones. We have sourced high quality jade, amethyst and rose quartz beauty tools. They are dual sized with a smaller stone which is suitable for smaller areas, like around the eyes and mouth.
Rose Quartz is a quintessential beauty stone. It represents unconditional love and promotes self-love, self acceptance and self forgiveness. It offers a deep inner healing, restore trust and dispel negativity. ❤️ This crystal offers protection against environmental pollution, encourages forgiveness + hastens recovery.
The rose quartz roller reduces inflammation + redness in the face and is Ideal for sensitive skin.
Jade is a healing stone which assists physical and emotional well-being and supports happiness and harmony and eliminates negativity and boosts confidence. Jade boosts the removal of toxins and excess fluids. It brightens the complexion while calming and soothing the skin.
Ideal for all skin types but especially aging skin. It diminishes the appearance of fine lines, defines and tones your cheekbones, jawline and eyebrows and reduces puffiness around the eyes
Pure amethyst is a very powerful, protective gemstone with strong healing and cleansing properties. It flushes toxins from the skin, brightens pigmentation and emits Far Infrared Rays (FIR) which gently raise the temperature of the skin to stimulate collagen production. Amethyst naturally ejects stress hormones from the body to balance moods and help with sleeping.
Ideal for acne-prone, pigmented, sun-damaged skin.
The roller has two sides. The smaller roller is used around the lip, eye and temple area. The larger size roller is used on the jawline, cheeks, forehead, and neck.
Cleanse the skin and apply your tonique, followed by your facial serum. In order to stimulate lymph, use a GENTLE pressure, roll the tool over your serum to help it penetrate more deeply into the skin Complete one side of the face before repeating on the other side.
1. NECK: Using the large roller, start at the collarbone. Roll along the neck, upwards from the collarbone to the jawline.
2. JAWLINE: Roll along the jawline upward toward the earlobe.
3. LIP: Using the small roller, roll downwards along the upper lip from the base of the nose onto the lip. Roll up along the lower lip onto the lip and then roll out to the edge of the upper and lower lips.
4. NOSE: Roll down the nose. Using the larger roller, work from the bridge of the nose along the cheekbone out to the ear/hairline.
5. EYES: Using the small roller, gently roll along the upper eyelid and under-eye area. Gently roll from the inner corner of the eye area to the temple. Roll under the eyes to the temple. Roll crisscross on the temples. Crisscross at the '11s' (frow line between the brows).
6. FOREHEAD: Move from the center of the forehead beginning at the hairline, rolling towards the ear, down to the temple. Repeat 4-7 times. Focus attention on fine lines and eyebrow furrow.
5. DRAIN: Make sweeping motions up under the chin towards ears, then down the neck toward the collar bones and then towards the lymph nodes in the underarms.
TIP: Keep your roller refrigerated to keep it cool to help with puffiness.
MOTHER'S DAY ROSE QUARTZ FACIAL PROMOTION
Rose Quartz is the stone of the heart. It is the crystal of self love + unconditional love. It heals the heart from sentiments of lost love, anger, resentment + jealousy.
Our Rose Quartz Facial is a relaxing yet rejuvenating treatment which heals and hydrates the skin, reduces puffiness and broken capillaries. It inhibits pigmentation, refines the skin, reduces inflammation and supports cell renewal.
Rose essential oil has the highest vibrational frequency in nature. It is incorporated into the cleansing, exfoliating, masque and massage of the face, neck and décolleté. Rose quartz and jade crystals are used to roll away tension, stimulate lymphatic circulation, strengthen the feminine energy of compassion, raise self-esteem, restore confidence, balance emotions and lower stress.
Show your Mother how much you love her with a Rose Quartz Facial for Mother's Day.
If Mom comes in for her Rose Quartz Facial during the month of May, we would like to treat her to a COMPLIMENTARY Eye + Lip Treatment