Decorating Divas | Rooms in Bloom Home Staging & Design's Weblog
Rooms in Bloom Home Staging & Design Inc. are the leading experts on Real Estate Staging & Marketing in the Kitchener-Waterloo area. This blog will be Providing Vital Information on Real Estate Home Staging for Sellers, Realtors and Builders
If you have never worked with a home staging professional or our team in particular, we thought we would share a few things you might have never guessed about our home staging consultations.
1. They are incredibly detailed. Seriously. When we do a consultation at a property we give specific recommendations for every room and we tell clients what furniture and decor can stay or go PLUS where to put it if it’s staying. We recommend specific paint colors and finishes for fixtures. We want to leave home owners with all the tools they need so if they want to implement all our advice themselves, they know exactly what to do.
2. We talk Marketing … not Decorating tips. When we consult on a home, we have a pretty good idea of who the target buyer(s) are going to be and we always want to tailor the appearance of the property to match what those clients would find appealing. This takes into account the paint colors, style of furnishings, room functionality and more. And while we use interior decorating strategies to create balanced and harmonious spaces, the overall goal is improving the property’s marketability online.
3. We give homework! Yes, just like taking a course or a class we give your clients homework to do so that they can improve the value and appeal of their home. Maybe it’s basic de-cluttering and moving some furniture around. Often it’s some interior painting and minor updates in addition to de-cluttering. In our report that we leave with your clients, we give them things to do in a room by room format so that they can do all the ‘behind the scenes’ work in preparation for staging day. We always recommend between 1 – 3 weeks prep time AFTER the consultation so home owners have enough time to get everything done.
4. We offer CHOICES not Ultimatums. On TV stagers or designers will often tell home owners that they have to do things only one way to get their home ready for sale. Their way or the highway. We don’t believe in that philosophy. In fact, we do our best to provide our clients with a tier of options so that they can choose the best option for their budget and timeline.
5. We provide SOLUTIONS to problems. As part of our service, we do our best to provide solutions for your clients throughout the course of the consultation. From small tips on what we have found that works best for prepping the home with kids and pets to providing referrals for trades to get small projects done or furniture moved out. We make sure that when we leave a consultation, it’s with your clients having as much information as possible to get their home work done.
6. We talk stats and return on investment. In our consultations, we provide current stats to your clients in our unique staging guide that we leave with them. We want them to make informed decisions about any updates or projects that we recommend they do. And of course, we let them know the ROI of investing in staging because who wouldn’t want to add additional value to their home when they are selling?
7. We work hard to empower home owners. Yes, consultations and all the recommendations we give can be overwhelming to most people. So we do our best to prioritize the important stuff, give them referrals so they can get help, brainstorm to help them firm up their plans and overall, make them feel great about the process. Sometimes it means finding middle ground between our sparkly ideal vision and what they can reasonably do. Regardless, we want our clients feeling like they totally got this when we leave!
8. We leave clients with valuable takeaways. In our presentation folder, we leave home owners with valuable information like our unique home sellers guide and an FAQ on the most commonly asked home staging questions. From stats to referrals to property specific recommendations and even a coupon for paint and materials – we make sure they have everything they need to get started!
9. We make YOU look like a Rockstar! We value the partnership we have with our realtors and we talk you up during the consultation process. We want the home owners to know they made the best possible decision to work with you and your team (of which we are a part) to help get their home sold! The stronger the team and the better we support each other, the more stellar the results.
10. You can book consultations ONLINE. When we rolled out our online scheduling program last year, we understood it was a big adjustment for our clients. That being said, the response to the program has been SO positive! Clients love that they can schedule appointments anytime – even when the office is closed. They love that the system sends out an email to their clients upon booking with great tips on how to get ready for the consult plus a reminder so the client doesn’t forget we are coming. We love that this frees us up to focus on our clients when we are with them without having to respond to inquiries about booking and allows us to enjoy our downtime on the weekend. If you haven’t yet seen our booking page, we invite you to visit it today.
We hope you learned something new about our home staging consultations and we hope this helped shed light on how we work so you in turn can feel confident about adding home staging to your listing services!
Home staging is an effective marketing tool for home owners who want to make their properties as sellable as possible. One of the trends we have seen emerge is that of layering in texture to spaces, to help make them more inviting & cozy. In years past, home staging practices were often to make rooms look very basic & bare but trends show that layering in texture can be key to better selling the lifestyle that the property offers.
Layers of texture and color make this space both inviting and cozy for home buyers. Its all about marketing and selling the lifestyle!
Women especially, are heavily influenced by texture in a home. They tend to connect better to spaces with upholstered chairs, layers of accent pillows, soft rugs & strategically placed soft decor. This is important because statistically, it’s women who shop online the most for their next home and it is women who often cast the deciding vote on whether to buy a home or not. Creating cozy spaces is key to improving a home’s overall appeal & marketability.
Based on this here, are a few tips to make your rooms more cozy & sellable:
Using a defined color palette (like in the image above) use upholstered furniture and layer in accent pillows & throws on the seating areas
Use neutral area rugs to define sitting areas and visually connect all the furniture together
Add ottomans and/or textured baskets to fill spaces & make rooms look more finished and inviting
Add a little greenery & wood to infuse warmth and natural elements into your space
Use a dark paint color for a focal wall (we love navy) to add warmth & richness to a space
Balance out dark colors with equally light hues and pops of metallics to create drama and make spaces memorable
It’s easy to go overboard with adding TOO many things into a space. Cozy doesn’t mean cluttered. Remember, we want to highlight both the lifestyle AND the home so too much furniture, too much pattern or too much stuff can make rooms look small and distract from architectural features. This is an art, so we always recommend hiring a professional – like our team – to help you achieve just the right balance in your home!
Rich colors like the navy paint color used here help to infuse warmth and richness into this space. This kind of backdrop makes all the other furnishings & polishing details take center stage.
To book a consultation with our team, just visit our website to get started. It’s that simple!
Rooms in Bloom Home Staging is Kitchener-Waterloo’s premier home staging company with over a decade of experience in staging homes in the Waterloo Region. From comprehensive consultations to complete staging solutions, we can help you make your property both highly sellable and marketable. Contact our office today at (519) 804-STAGE or visit our website to learn more about our services and the staging designs our team has created. We make it easy for buyers to fall in love with your home!
When people think about romance, they often symbolically link it to dating and to the feelings they have when they are involved with a special person. They think about flowers, fancy meals, romantic moments alone and so much more. But romance isn’t just for people – it’s for real estate as well because the home buying process is an emotional one and the reasons why people buy are fueled by positive emotions. Home sellers who want a successful sale are paying attention to all the nuances of good property presentation in order to evoke a positive response in their target buyers. Just the way someone would get dressed up for a date or romantic interlude, sellers are setting the stage for romance in their homes.
In real estate, just like dating, romance and emotions play a huge part in the process. Often buyers shop with logic but buy based on emotion.
In real estate, emotions play a critical role in buying or selling. While its true that most people will search for a home based on a set of criteria, if they find a property that tugs on their heart strings then they will compromise on their ‘must-haves’ to buy the property they love. If they can see themselves and their family living in the home and if it showcases a life they aspire to have, then they will buy it based on the emotion the house evokes in them regardless of whether or not it meets their needs. If you think about it, it makes sense. A home is probably the single biggest purchase most people will make so how it feels to them and the life they can see themselves living in it are powerful motivators.
This is true of almost any purchase – major or minor. If a product evokes positive feelings then people are much more likely to buy it. If a person we are dating is attractive and makes us feel good, we want to be in a relationship with them. We ascribe a lot of power to our feelings and when something feels right and we connect with a person, place or thing then we want to form a long lasting connection with it.
If you found this photo on a dating site, would you want to get to know this property better? Buyers are shopping online first so presentation matters. If this is their first impression, you can imagine they won’t be interested in a long term commitment!
While realtors can be likened to match makers in the real estate process, our job as home stagers is similar to that of a marketing guru or image consultant. We critically assess homes and recommend changes not just to add value – but to evoke emotion. We want buyers to like the home online (a first date!) and then visit the house (second date!) and then put in an offer (woohoo marriage!) because it means that they connected with the home on an emotional level. At the core, romance is about emotion and most home purchases are based on how people feel about a house. Phrases like ‘it feels like home’ or ‘I can see us living here’ are powerful statements and they intimate that someone has made a real connection with the property. It happens with dating all the time when people say ‘he or she just feels like they were meant for me’. Positive emotions are key to a successful date and romance for any couple or home purchase.
The transformation of the home (see above) gives this house a completely different look! Investing in updates and staging added significant value but also ensured this property got a ton of buyer interest and offers!
To create that emotional connection and foster an amazing connection between prospective buyers and listed properties, what elements are important? Well like any great date, it all starts with a strong first impression. What do you do to get ready for a date! Lots of primping & pampering to present the best possible version of yourself – right? Well it’s no different for your home! And your home should reflect the same level of care and attention that you would pay to yourself when getting ready for an important date.
Selling successfully relies heavily on a home’s presentation. And when we say presentation, we aren’t referring to sprinkling rose petals in the bathroom or placing trays on beds with faux flowers or food. No – those obvious staging ploys don’t sell buyers on what is most important about the home. They don’t foster the kind of long lasting emotions you need in order for buyers to remember the house hours, or even days later. Yes, clean & tidy is important but if the house lacks all the necessary furnishings or decorative elements that improve it’s marketability then buyers will ignore it online (where they shop first) and have a hard time connecting emotionally with it when or if they visit the house in person.
Make it memorable so that buyers remember your property hours – and even days later!
It may not sound sexy to talk about things like decluttering, organizing closets & storage or painting the living room but then neither is shaving your legs or working out to ensure you have an attractive appearance. Yet these steps are important to the home selling – or dating – process because clutter is not sexy and clashing colors can kill the mood when buyers visit a home. People are inherently visual and when 9 out of 10 people can’t see beyond what they are presented with, the impact of a home’s presentation becomes all that much more critical to the real estate process.
Beyond the preparation steps for a great date, there are always the polishing touches. For you it might mean that sexy black dress with jewelry that sparkles and make-up which highlights your eyes. If you consulted with an image consultant, they would help you make the most of your best attributes so that you stand the best possible chance of attracting a potential partner and set the stage for long term romance. A property stager does the same for your home. Whether it’s dating or real estate, details & presentation matter. So when we talk about how to evoke emotions in buyers, professional stagers focus on:
• cohesive color palettes
• layers of texture on beds or sofas
• pops of colors and carefully chosen décor
• different levels of lighting to create warm & inviting spaces
• the right balance of furniture in a room, in a layout which complements the space and optimizes room flow
When selling a home, details matter. Buyers are heavily influenced by colors, textures and all those details which give a property that model home feel. Invest in staging to ensure your home is the one they fall in love with!
As the professional property stylists, we understand just how important emotions are to a successful sale. Our goal is always to ensure the homes we stage hit all the right emotional notes with home buyers so that they fall in love and want to buy it. Our job is to consider all aspects of the property in order to sell the lifestyle and foster a long term commitment between the home buyer and the house.
Looking for more information about home staging in the Kitchener-Waterloo area? Contact our multi award-winning team to get more information on our services and learn about how we can make your property stand out. From consultations to complete staging solutions, we are the #1 home staging company in the Tri-Cities area for a reason. Contact us today at (519) 804-STAGE (7824) or book a consultation online!