Liew (second left) receiving the invitation to visit Penang by Yeoh (on her left). Also seen, from right, are William, Noredah, Haryany and Ken.
KOTA KINABALU: Like Penang, Sabah is also an important state and performing well in promoting Malaysian tourism, said Penang state exco (state minister) for Tourism Development, Arts, Culture & Heritage, Yeoh Soon Hin.
“Sabah is just as active under the Minister of Tourism, Culture and Environment (Datuk Christina Liew),” he said during a courtesy call on his Sabah counterpart, Friday.
Yeoh believes that both Sabah and Penang can contribute positively to realising the federal government’s vision of attracting 30 million tourist arrivals to the country during Visit Malaysia Year next year (2020).
“I am in town for the national-level International Museum Day. So I am taking the opportunity to call on the Deputy Chief Minister (Datuk Christina Liew). We exchanged ideas and notes on how to promote Malaysian tourism,” he said.
Yeoh said Penang is famous for its street food but has a different natural environment compared with Sabah.
Answering a question on what lure Chinese and Korean tourists to Sabah, Liew, who is also Deputy Chief Minister, alluded to the 3Ss – Sand, Sea and Sun.
“They love to visit our offshore islands under the Tunku Abdul Rahman Park. On the record, Sabah is known to portray one of the best sunset views in the world,” she said.
For 2018, Sabah was paid the highest tourism tax allocation amounting to RM12.66 million (by the federal government), followed by Penang which received RM10 million.
Meanwhile, the Penang state minister invited Liew to attend the next national-level International Museum Day celebration which will be hosted by the Penang government in 2020.
Yeoh was accompanied by his Special Officer Oong Ren Jie and Penang State Museum Board director Haryany Mohamad.
Also present were Sabah Tourism Board (STB) chairman Ken Pan Ying On, ministry’s permanent secretary, William Baya, deputy director of Sabah Museum Department, Su Chin Sidih and STB general manager Noredah Othman.
KOTA KINABALU: The people’s opinions on the Papar Dam matter to the government, said Deputy Parti Warisan Sabah (WARISAN) president Datuk Darell Leiking.
He said Chief Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Shafie Apdal had asked Infrastructure Development Minister Datuk Peter Anthony to give further information to the people in the state.
“I have not seen the design or the plan. Give some time, I have asked Chief Minister (about the matter). He will ask Datuk Peter to give an in-depth explanation, not to me but to all the communities in Sabah,” Darell, also International Trade and Industry Minister and Penampang MP, responded when asked about the matter after the Global Covenant of Mayors (GCoM) event at Hyatt Regency Kinabalu here yesterday.
“As an MP I always support good things for my district. So, if my district is not affected and that’s the demand of the people, yes, I am okay,” he said while reminding that Warisan had fulfilled its promise by putting a stop to the Kaiduan Dam project.
“There are two types of people in Penampang. One, are those who totally against the dam, per say, and another one that do not want the dam to be in the district. I think if that is the concerns and that is what the people want, then the government must listen.
“My opinion, unfortunately, does not matter in this case. It is the people’s opinions that matter,” he added.
Spokesperson for Taskforce against Kaiduan and Papar Dam (Takad), Diana Sipail had told The Borneo Post that she met Universiti Malaysia Sabah (UMS) geologist Professor Dr Felix Tongkul on July 18 to talk about alternatives to the proposed mega dam.
She said a briefing had been given by Felix to the Chief Minister that the proposed Papar Dam is not the best solution for the future supply of water.
“According to the presentation made by Dr Felix, despite receiving a large amount of rain, water storage is becoming more acute in Malaysia. Some dams are not even getting enough recharge.
“If we want enough water and avoid flood, water catchments are the most important thing that we should look into, not dams.
“Large dams disrupt the flow of the river causing imbalance to the natural hydrological and ecological systems. This disruption has a long-term effect on both upstream and downstream,” she said.
Darell (centre) with the other invited guests at the event yesterday.
PENAMPANG: Penampang member of parliament (MP) Datuk Darell Leiking has lauded the recent performance of the Native Court (MAN) of Penampang.
Since January up to June this year, the Penampang Native Court has solved 260 cases concerning property claim, nationality authentication, adoption applications, family issues; 78 marriage certificate registration; and 15 divorce cases.
However, Darell said that there is a need for the Penampang Native Court to expedite its efforts in solving the remaining pending cases.
“This is indeed a success. However, in this area of work, we know that there are still numerous legal issues and applications that are yet to be solved.
“I would like to congratulate them (the Penampang Native Court). At the same time, I would also like for them to promptly solve all the remaining pending cases,” said Darell, who is also the International Trade and Industry Minister.
He spoke to reporters after attending a gathering with the native chiefs of Penampang cum launching of the Penampang Native Court’s Sports and Recreation Club, here yesterday.
Meanwhile, Moyog assemblywoman Jenifer Lasimbang pointed out that many of the native chiefs and village chiefs in Penampang had only been recently appointed and therefore they might need more time to adjust and familiarise themselves with their duties.
“I was made to understand that the Ministry of Law and Native Affairs will continue to train the native chiefs and village chiefs so that they can be more effective,” said Jenifer, adding that Penampang Native Court is also adamant in putting a stop to child marriages in the district.
During the event, Darell presented 100 plastic chairs, 10 banquet tables and two file racks to the Penampang Native Court; as well as corporate uniforms to the chiefs under the Penampang Native Court.
Also present were Senator Datuk John Ambrose and Penampang Native Chief Johnny Molijoh.
Darell (seated centre) with the students of SMK Datuk Peter Mojuntin and other invited guests at the launch of Free Tuition Programme for Penampang.
PENAMPANG: International Trade and Industry Minister Datuk Darell Leiking has called on the students in Sabah to aim for a career in the automotive and automation industry.
Darell reckoned that the future is all about the said industries and that today’s children would eventually be the ones who would shape the future.
“There are a lot of opportunities in the automotive industry. I was also made to understand that the Association of Malay Importers and Traders of Motor Vehicles Malaysia (Pekema) has an institution that is dedicated to provide training opportunities in automotive engineering, whereby the trainees would then be given job opportunities upon the completion of their course,” said Darell in his speech at the Free Tuition Programme for Penampang launching ceremony, here at SMK Datuk Peter Mojuntin, yesterday.
Elaborating more on the potential of the automation industry, he said that skills such as coding had given birth to many young entrepreneurs – especially those who had successfully created new apps.
He also said that the robotics industry is also one of the career options that the students should opt for.
“We have to change the way we do things for the sake of our future. We must not be left behind, especially more so in Penampang.
“I, as the Penampang Member of Parliament (MP), together with Moyog assemblywoman Jenifer Lasimbang and Kepayan assemblywoman Jannie Lasimbang will try to provide the best opportunities for the people of Penampang, so that we would not be left behind,” he stressed.
The Free Tuition Programme initiative was spearheaded by Pekema and the Penampang Parliamentary Office and it would benefit a total of 283 students from four schools, namely SMK Bahang, SMK Limbanak, SM St Michael and SMK Datuk Peter Mojuntin.
During the event, Darell also presented school bags to 250 students.
KOTA KINABALU: Journalists, photographers and producers from the print, electronic and online media in Sabah and Labuan can now submit entries for the 2019 Kinabalu Press Awards starting yesterday (July 20).
The closing date for submission is August 3, 2019.
Sabah Journalists Association (SJA) secretary Siti Aisyah Narudin said only works published between January 1, 2018 and December 31, 2018 are eligible for submission.
She added the SJA would be inviting Chief Minister Datuk Seri Shafie Apdal for the much-anticipated journalism awards event in Sabah and Labuan, scheduled for this coming November here.
The Kinabalu Press Awards is a partnership between the Sabah State Government and SJA, aimed at recognising journalistic excellence and to further enhance the standard of journalism in the state and Labuan.
All entries are to be addressed to the: Secretariat, Lot 9 1st Floor, Block B, Lintas Square, Jalan Lintas, 88300 Luyang, Kota Kinabalu (Attn: Brandon
Entry forms and rules and regulations can also be obtained from the Sabah Journalists Association within the submission period or respective media organisations/associations in Sabah and Labuan.
For any query, please contact the KSPA 2019 consultant DB Rox at 019 888 6803 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
KOTA KINABALU: Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia (Bersatu) Sabah welcomed the implementation of the “Back For Good Programme” for illegal immigrants to go back to their respective countries of origin by the Home Ministry through the Immigration Department.
Sabah Bersatu chief Datuk Seri Panglima Haji Hajiji Haji Noor said the programme which would be implemented in Peninsular Malaysia should also be extended and implemented in Sabah.
He said this is because Sabah has many illegal immigrants, a problem which has been around since a long time ago.
“People in the State have been waiting for such a programme to be implemented here, because they are worried by the large presence of illegal immigrants.
“Especially when lately illegal immigrants had been reported to be involved in crime cases in Sabah including murder, armed robbery and so on.
“We hope this programme will also be implemented in Sabah because it did not impose severe punishment on foreigners who committed offences under Immigration Act 1959/63 (Act 155) to go back to their respective countries of origin voluntarily according to the set conditions,” he said, in a statement, yesterday.
Hajiji, who is also Sulaman assemblyman, was commenting on the statement by Home Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin when announcing about the programme recently.
Muhyiddin had said the programme is for illegal immigrants who committed an offence under Section 15(1)(c) that is overstaying and Section 6 (1)(c), for not having valid travel documents according to Act 155.
He said the Attorney-General Chamber had agreed to the implementation of the programme, which would begin on Aug 1 and last until Dec 31 this year.
He said a compound of RM700 would be imposed on each foreigner who participate in the programme.
He said the programme would be fully implemented by the Immigration Department without the involvement of a third party vendor or agent, or foreign outsource company, and would be carried out by 200 officers at 80 counters in Immigration offices throughout Peninsular Malaysia.
Hajiji said the people in Sabah greatly hoped that the “Back For Good Pogramme” can be implemented in Sabah immediately as it is important for their wellbeing.
KOTA KINABALU: Sabah PKR chief Datuk Christina Liew today called on the party’s leaders not to wantonly issue statements on the crisis facing the party but instead stand by the president Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim to resolve it.
Christina, who is also Sabah Deputy Chief Minister, in a statement here today, said now that the party is in power in the country along with its coalition partners in Pakatan Harapan, all focus should be on pursuing the New Malaysia reform agenda.
She said Sabah PKR stood solidly behind Anwar in his efforts to bring back party solidarity and furthermore the people were counting on Pakatan Harapan and PKR to focus on development issues and economic growth and not “internal bickering”.
There is a perception that all out warfare has broken out between Anwar and PKR deputy president Datuk Seri Mohamed Azmin Ali, who is also Economic Affairs Minister.
A sex video went viral recently which allegedly implicated Mohamed Azmin, However, he has denied that it is him in the video and that it is the work of certain people who are out to destroy his political career. – Bernama
LAHAD DATU: Police have detained a man who allegedly showed his genitals to three teenage schoolgirls at separate places in Kampung Muhibbah.
District police chief ACP Nasri Mansor said in a statement yesterday that the 21-year-old suspect who was riding a red Yamaha Lagenda motorbike was detained on Friday at Bandar Seri Perdana following police reports lodged by the victims.
Nasri said the first victim, a 16-year-old girl lodged a police report claiming that on July 16 while walking towards her friend’s house from school, a man riding a motorcycle approached her.
The man later asked for a direction to Kampung Tabanak. While asking, the suspect showed his penis and held it. The victim immediately walked away.
The suspect later followed the victim and asked her if she knew a person by the name of Ricuan while showing his penis.
The suspect also told her that he could not stand it anymore.
The victim immediately ran towards her friend’s house and told her friend as well as her mother about the incident. A police report was lodged on Friday.
“Two other victims lodged police reports following a similar incident with similar descriptions of the suspect and his motorcycle on July 16 and July 18.
“Both incidents also occurred in Kampung Muhibbah and the suspect was also using the same tactics, that is, to approach the victims who were walking home from school to ask for direction while showing his penis,” he said.
Nasri said following the information and police investigation they detained the alleged flasher whom they believed could be the same man.
Nasri said police also seized a motorcycle, a helmet, a motorcycle key, road tax disc and a mobile phone.
He said the suspect who did not possess any identification documents had tested negative for drug abuse.
“The suspect is remanded for seven days for further investigation under Section 15(a) of Child Sexual Act 2017,” he added.
KUALA LUMPUR: The Health Ministry will continue to strengthen surveillance and preparedness to cope with the potential spread of the Ebola virus disease (EVD) as the epidemic is declared a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC) in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
Health director-general Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said the ministry had always taken precautionary measures to mitigate the outbreak since the organisation declared the virus as PHEIC in the West African country from 2014.
Efforts undertaken include the introduction of strict infection prevention and control practices by ministry officials at international entry points and emphasing management of suspected cases in accordance with the EVD management guidelines.
“Passengers or crew suspected to have EVD symptoms will be referred to a hospital identified for further examination and treatment,’ he said in a statement today.
Dr Noor Hisham said other measures implemented would include the Person Under Investigation (PUI) for Ebola will be reported to the national Crisis Preparedness And Response Centre (CPRC), enhancing EVD-related knowledge to the community and visitors and continuously working closely with all relevant agencies to strengthen the ministry’s preparedness.
On July 17, the World Health Organisation in an International Health Regulations (2005) Emergency Committee meeting declared Ebola in the republic as PHEIC. – Bernama