“We have to spend time with each other that is not digital. Civic organizations, libraries and social institutions that pre-date consumerism are all viable alternatives. If we reacquaint ourselves without digital crutches, I believe we’ll be less afraid of each other. Turn off the TV and go outside and start talking to people and then people who are inside will want to come out and see what’s going on. That is a type of influence that is sorely needed. It is peer-to-peer influence and it is an innately human social order.”
Humans are no longer valued for our creativity, says media theorist Douglas Rushkoff — in a world dominated by digital technology, we’re now just valued for our data. In a passionate talk, Rushkoff urges us to stop using technology to optimize people for the market and start using it to build a future centered on our pre-digital values of connection, creativity and respect. “Join ‘Team Human.’ Find the others,” he says. “Together let’s make the future that we always wanted.”
Every Monday the entire staff at junk removal service company 1-800-GOT-JUNK? gathers in the huddle room at the corporate office to share good news, get an update from different departments and contribute ideas for missing systems or opportunities in the junk removal industry. Then everyone comes together for a final cheer. This made me look!
– “Meaning and happiness are apparently experienced quite differently in time. Happiness is about the present; meaning is about the future, or, more precisely, about linking past, present and future.” The meanings of life (via)
– A curated list of the best analogue and digital toolboxes and methods from companies, institutions and thinkers: The Toolbox Toolbox
– “All I want to be is someone that makes new things and thinks about them.” — John Maeda
– This is an air freshener I’d let dangle from my rear view mirror.
– I surprised my kids with a staycation at the brand new TWA hotel at JFK airport. It’s the original TWA airport terminal designed by Eero Saarinen. It’s an absolutely dream! It felt as if we were traveling back in time. If you live in NYC, go for dinner or drinks! SO FUN!
– I just fell in love with a plant: This one. WOW!