Lila Steele has been with us for just over three months (crazy!) and I’m starting to get the urge to ease back into work life so I’m going to go with it! I’ve had tons of messages asking if I will share what “baby things” we have loved, what didn’t end up working, and what is worth it or not. So, today I’m sharing all the details about our first two months and answering some questions I’ve gotten!
For those who don’t know, Lila Steele Clymer joined our family on December 28, 2018. I went into labor in the middle of the night, we got to the hospital around 6AM and she made her debut at 6:38PM. We had a pretty smooth labor, and I only pushed for 20 minutes!
Q&A :: Here are some things you’ve asked me (mostly on instagram) -
1) What is one thing about labor that you didn’t expect? The SHAKES! The epidural gave me the worst convulsions and shakes that lasted for hours. It was really stressful for both me and Harrison, and I was so worried that I would be shaking too badly to hold her when she came. Thankfully the adrenaline rush of pushing took over. But I had no idea that was a side effect so we were pretty alarmed when I couldn’t stop.
2) Are you doing a schedule? You may have seen that little Lila is an amazing sleeper. She was sleeping from about 9-5 or 6 at 6 weeks old and I honestly have no secrets. I think we are just super lucky and blessed, and God knows how much this mama needs her sleep ;) I am following Moms on Call, so I just transitioned her to the 8-16 week schedule where she goes down around 7:30 and makes it to 6 or 7 most mornings. So I do have to give some credit to MOC, and I really enjoy having a schedule to loosely follow. I do try to keep in mind that we have to continue to have a life, which really allows us to be the best parents. So, I try not to stress if we don’t follow the schedule exactly day-to-day. Some days we are out and about and she doesn’t nap in her crib, other days I make sure she gets at least 2 good naps in there! I’m learning that it’s all about balance (and I’m certainly no expert).
3) Does she sleep in your room? This was something I was really surprised about - she was in her crib on day 2! I could NOT sleep with her in our room and she didn’t sleep well at all. Lila is a super noisy / grunty sleeper so every little noise would wake me up. I was surprised at my ability to let her go to the crib so early, but I knew it was the only way any of us would sleep! She has done great in the crib.
4) Swaddle? Y’all - I panic ordered like 8 swaddles at 3AM during a feeding one night in those early days. Our favorite has been this Halo swaddle (I like that it’s fleece for the winter time) because it zips and velcros, and Lila is an escape artist. It doesn’t matter how tight you swaddle her, she would get a hand out every time. She has only broken out of this one like twice, and she sleeps great in it! I also love that it unzips from the bottom, so if you need to do a diaper change or if I forget to put the Owlet sock on, I can do it without totally unswaddling her.
I just transitioned her to the Magic Merlin sleepsuit and she LOVES it. Sleeps like a champ all night & at naptimes! I highly, highly recommend.
5) Favorite place to get her bows? I got her a ton of bows on Amazon, but I also love the Baby Bling bows. Both kinds are so stretchy, super lightweight and so so cute. They are one size fits most, and they fit her soon after she was born and obviously still do now. I love all their patterns!
6) What are your must-haves? What items were worth the price, and what did you end up not liking? First of all, obviously every baby is different. Here are some things that Lila absolutely loves:
(leopard set I’m wearing is sold out)
The Owlet - I CANNOT live without this. I see so many mixed reviews on this and lots of you have asked if I think it’s worth it. I don’t know why anyone wouldn’t want to use it - it gives me SO much peace of mind going to sleep each night and I literally don’t think I would sleep without it. When she is laying so still and hasn’t moved in awhile, instead of going in and sticking my fingers under her nose to check if she’s breathing, I just look at the Owlet. It is a game changer.
4Moms - she slept in this the first few nights when we couldn’t get her to go to sleep. She still sits and naps in it and loves the mobile! It is a permanent fixture in our living room.
Beautycounter baby products - Lila has great skin y’all. She is tanner than I am and she’s a baby. My pediatrician asked what I am using on her skin because she has yet to get a diaper rash, splotchy-ness and even her baby acne and little spots go away pretty immediately. I use the baby bath during bath time, then mix this baby balm & the baby oil in my hands and rub it all over her after the bath every night. PSA : the baby balm is gritty at first, you have to RUB it to get the grit to go away. I have yet to use the diaper rash cream because we haven’t needed it, but it’s on deck if we do!
Baby Bjorn bouncer - This is a higher ticket item and I honestly thought she’d enjoy it more. Every baby is different, of course, but she hasn’t loved this so far. Maybe as she gets bigger and older!
Solly baby wrap - Lila LOVES this. She snuggles up and sleeps so well when I put her in it, and it hurts my back way less than the Baby Bjorn carrier. It is tricky to learn how to put it on at first, but after a couple of tutorial videos I finally have it figured out ;)
Baby Bjorn carrier - I do love this because it’s easier than the Solly wrap, and Harrison wears her a lot in this too. It does hurt my back more than the Solly wrap, but great for walks and such!
Keekaroo changing pad - Absolutely LOVE this! Never have to worry about poop or spit up getting on fabric and washing it, just wipe it off and continue on! It does stain a little bit, so I have been using a magic eraser every now and then to really get it clean, and then wiping it with a baby wipe afterwards.
Noodle & Boo laundry products - O.M.G these smell AMAZING. I am now using them on all our laundry because I cannot get enough! I also have the room spray which I spray after her diaper changes, and the diffuser that I keep in her room. I wish you could smell it through the computer, but you’ll just have to trust me.
Boppy pillow- She was too small for this at first, but now she loves it and it’s easy to prop her on it while I need to do something!
Nanit monitor - I absolutely love this! I can see her from anywhere, even when babysitters are there (hehe). One time my dad tried to swaddle her and majorly failed while I was at a hair appointment, so all I had to do was send him a text that her arm was completely out! ;)
***TIP! I hung this mobile over her changing table and it is her FAVORITE place to be. Every time I lay her down to change her, she looks up and breaks out a huge smile. I did it just thinking she might like something to look at, but it has turned into one of our go-to tools to calm her down or distract her! I ordered it off etsy but you could use any mobile.
Beach trip must-have :
This tent. We put towels in it and she napped here on the beach and by the pool.
Happy Tuesday! Less than 2 weeks before baby girl’s arrival, and we are READY! I’m walking all the hills, drinking all the raspberry leaf tea, and Harrison made us eggplant parmesan last night. (any other tricks?! Leave them below in the comments section!) Operation : Get her here before Christmas is underway!
Britt delivered my incredibly beautiful painting last week and that was the final finishing touch on the nursery, so today I thought I’d take you on a little tour! It is so peaceful and it’s now our favorite room in the house. We just can’t wait the new tenant.
I am beyond obsessed with her painting. It’s so perfect for her room and I know she will love staring at it. Britt is the best and I am forever grateful!
I have known for years that I wanted to use this Thibaut Tanzania wallpaper (which I purchased through Miko + Boone Home) in my nursery if I had a little girl. So, that was the first decision and what I really designed the room around. I also knew I wanted velvet blush panels and lots of light. I didn’t want it to be too “pink”, “floral” or “girly,” so I knew that I wanted to add the green palm accents and once Britt showed me the painting, I also added pops of raspberry / plum. I love all the bold colors!
How sweet is this little mobile that she can look up at while her diapers get changed? I love it. I also am SO excited to use my FAWN diaper bag. If you are in the market, I highly recommend!
These are my baby pictures, which I plan to recreate with her and hang underneath! Below those is a picture of my grandmother, Noni, who she shares a middle name with. She passed away two weeks before my wedding and was just the best grandmother ever. I knew that I wanted to use a piece of her name in my child’s name.
If you missed it on my insta-stories, Harrison insisted that she have a pink door. I chose this color spray paint for a super soft, peony pink and Harrison painted, installed and added gold hardware! He is already the best dad ever.
Can’t even deal with this leopard onesie and big, velvet bows. This mirror is sadly sold out, but I still linked it at the end of the post so you have it.
Also, the Noodle & Boo room spray and diffuser are AMAZING! They smell so fresh and sweet; you can spray after diaper changes, and leave the diffuser out to keep the room smelling good. Also makes a great baby shower gift!
These acrylic shelves hold her books, maternity photos, ultrasound photos and shower invitations. I love how they turned out!
I had so many questions about this bassinet, linked here. Right now it’s here in her nursery, but we will most likely use it in our room / the living room. Love how neutral it is and that after she’s done using it, we can use it as a basket!
Happy Wednesday! 5 days of giveaways continues with a really great one! I recently got the DryBar blow dryer and fell in love with it. I mean I think it is the best thing ever and it dries my hair in a fraction of the time, leaving it smooth with no frizz. Once I started using that, I was hooked on anything and everything DryBar. I more recently got the curling iron and am SO excited to use it! I am not a big blowout gal because I am SUPER picky about my hair, but I absolutely love the experience!
So how ‘bout a girl’s day?! To show you my appreciation this Holiday season, I’m gifting a lucky winner and two friends a blowout at Dry Bar Avalon, plus another lucky winner this Double Triple gift set.
To enter, head over to Instagram and like this post, tag the two friends you would take with you for blowouts or tell me why you want the . Giveaway ends tomorrow night at midnight, winner announced on Friday. Good luck!
Plus, today I’m sharing my favorite gifts & stocking stuffers for HIM, all under $50. These are great things for your hubby, brother, dad, father-in-law, etc. and they won’t break the bank. Shop them all below!
A few noteworthy / explanation-worthy mentions:
If your husband is always losing his keys / wallet like mine is, he NEEDS the tile. Put one on his key chain, one in his wallet and he’ll never bother you again (ha- yeah right!)
Tommy John underwear - why yes, it’s strange that I have a photo of a man’s crotch on my gift guide but I am telling you these underwear are apparently life-changing! Harrison is obsessed and I get him a pair every year in his stocking.
I got Harrison this valet last year and it’s a great spot for tossing keys, wallet, watch, etc. to keep them in one place.
Do you have or love labs (how could you not)? How cute are these lab PJ pants?
Every woman needs a vest, every man needs a vest too. This one is perfect and such a great price.
Happy Monday! Let’s kick off this week with a giveaway, shall we? In the true spirit of Christmas, I’ll be doing 5 days of giveaways, every other day (Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Monday & Wednesday), starting today.
I recently fell in love with Anna B. Designs, a jewelry brand right here in Atlanta. I love anything beaded and unique, which is why I love her stuff so much! Her jewelry, especially necklaces like the ones I am wearing, make such great gifts and I love the price point compared to some other handmade brands.
One lucky winner will win a necklace of their choice (value up to $75)! To enter, simply head over to Instagram, make sure you are following me and Anna B. Designs, ‘like’ the photo, and tag 3 friends in the comment section below. PLUS, get 15% off your purchase with coder COURTNEY15.
Giveaway closes tomorrow night at midnight; I’ll announce the winner on Wednesday along with the next giveaway. Good luck!
Happy Thursday! This is my absolute favorite time of year, and this year is even more special with us awaiting the arrival of baby girl! I had my 36 week appointment and things are completely closed for now, but Harrison and I are both hoping she might surprise us with a pre-Christmas arrival. That would be the best gift ever! We are so ready for her, but we’ll see when she decides to make her debut.
Today I’m sharing this dress that’s perfect for holiday parties, Christmas day, and just fall/winter in general. It’s non-maternity and you can get your regular size if you are pregnant (plus the fit is forgiving which is perfect for post-baby!) Plus, it’s 40% OFF! I’m wearing a size small and it’s perfect for pairing under a vest like this faux fur one, with tights & boots or heels. I also love plaid because it will never go out of style; you can wear this holiday season after holiday season.
Outfit details are linked below:
Now for the start of my Gift Guides! Today I’m sharing gifts for her, all under $50; these are perfect for stocking stuffers, or smaller gifts for mom, sister, friend, wife, etc. etc. and all things that I either have, or would love to get in my stocking. Tomorrow, we’ll address the men. Happy shopping!
SHOP gifts for her :
And don’t forget! My Christmas Countdown SALE is in full swing; now through December 10th, get 20% off with code CHRISTMASCOUNTDOWN. Click below for all the details.
I’ve gotten so many questions from y’all about what I registered for for both baby girl and her nursery. Today I’m sharing the top things that were recommended to me by other moms, or that I did research on and chose. I hope this helps some of you trying to create your registries and wondering what to put on there! I would be lost without other moms helping me know what you need and what you definitely don’t, and luckily I am surrounded by lots of super-mom friends! 4 (ish) weeks to go, let’s do this! Here are the top items from my registry:
NANIT MONITOR - If you saw my instagram stories a few weeks ago, this is the coolest monitor ever! Links to an app on your phone so you can watch your baby no matter where you are. Also tells you stats like room temp, movement, sounds, and humidity levels
HIGH CHAIR - lots of people recommended the Stokke Tripp Trapp but at the end of the day, it seemed a little too pricey to me (and no one was buying it so it clearly was!) for a high chair. I registered for this one for now, and may upgrade down the road!
Happy Cyber Monday! The deals make heading back to work today a * little * less painful… Many of them are the same as Black Friday, just carried over into today. So, I’m sharing them all with you! We did some major Christmas decorating this weekend and many of my living room items are included in Cyber Monday sales. You can shop my living room details :
MY biggest sale of the year ends TODAY!
25% off** with code BLACKFRIDAY (This is the only time of the year I will have 25% OFF!) Go ahead and get your Christmas gifts (redeemable within 1 year of purchase; all Christmas gift certificate recipients must schedule in spring due to my maternity leave) Click ‘SERVICES’ above to browse all services, and click HERE to purchase.
**15% off yearly style subscriptions & holiday gifting with code BLACKFRIDAY2.
And just like Black Friday, here’s a list of the best Cyber Monday sales to shop :
JCREW - 50% OFF your entire purchase with code CYBER, plus EXTRA 60% OFF SALE
Happy Friday! This won’t be a lengthy post, but I am sharing a list of the best Black Friday sales with you so you can get to shopping! Many of these retailers NEVER have sales so today is the day to take advantage. Just click below :
JCREW - 50% OFF your entire purchase with code TGIF.
ANTHROPOLOGIE - 30% OFF everything! No code needed. This literally NEVER happens.
BEAUTYCOUNTER - 15% OFF everything + free shipping is still going strong! Click HERE to see my full post of my skincare + makeup routine, plus holiday gift set favorites.
NORDSTROM - up to 60% off select items! Click HERE To see my full post of favorites.
TORY BURCH - 30% off $250 or more, + up to 60% off sale with code THANKS
AMAZON - Black Friday Deals week (specific items on major sale - click for those items!)
And of course, MY biggest sale of the year! 25% off** with code BLACKFRIDAY, now through Monday. (This is the only time of the year I will have 25% OFF!) Go ahead and get your Christmas gifts (redeemable within 1 year of purchase; all Christmas gift certificate recipients must schedule in spring due to my maternity leave) Click ‘SERVICES’ above to browse all services, and click HERE to purchase.
**15% off yearly style subscriptions & holiday gifting with code BLACKFRIDAY2.
Happy Wednesday! The Black Friday sales keep starting earlier and earlier, and today marks the beginning of NORDSTROM’s. I have to say, there are SO many great finds for women & men - from stocking stuffers to big gifts! (not too many great deals for kids in my opinion) From designer items at major discounts, to cashmere, to stocking stuffers, denim & more, I’m sharing all my favorites below.
Plus many of the pieces I’ve worn on the blog are included, like my camo vest, favorite wedge sneakers, otk black boots and easy shift dress (linked in photos).
So get gifting if you haven’t already, and take advantage of these MAJOR steals!
Happy Tuesday! Today marks the start of the Beautycounter Black Friday sale, which you DON’T want to miss! Get 15% off plus free shipping on your order! This is one of the VERY few yearly sales they will do, and if you’ve been wanting to try Beautycounter skincare and / or makeup, now is the time! They also have tons of amazing holiday gift sets that are great for stocking stuffers or gifts for loved ones.
If you’ve followed along for awhile, you know I am in love with Beautycounter. I won’t do a long post about it (you can read the Beautycounter story here), but I’ve been using it for about a year now and when I first tried it last November, I was immediately hooked. The products FEEL so good, make your skin LOOK so much better and are clean + safe, even during pregnancy and breastfeeding! Below I’m outlining my daily skincare & makeup routine and what I use, plus some holiday gift sets I’ve already bought. Happy start to your Black Friday shopping!
MY DAILY ROUTINE :
1) Countermatch collection | Cleanser, serum, day / moisturizer, eye cream. *Sidenote - I don’t LOVE the milky feel of this cleanser, so I usually mix it with this exfoliating one. I LOVE Countermatch because I have more normal / combination skin and it really balances my skin out. But, there are tons of options depending on what your skin type is! You can browse all the skincare collections here & decide what’s best for you.
2) Overnight Resurfacing Peel | I use this 3-4 nights a week and swear by it. It’s not necessarily a “peel,” but more just a serum type feeling product that you apply after you wash your face, then leave on overnight. It brightens, gets rid of dark spots, acne spots, and makes your skin tone more even. Safe during pregnancy which is a major plus with dark spots!
3) Skin Tint Foundation | This is a super lightweight foundation which I love. It adds the perfect amount of color and evenness to your skin without being heavy
4) Concealer Pen | I use the color ‘light’ and I use it under my eyes, on any blemishes, and around my nose. It is the best concealer ever!
5) Mattifying Powder | I put this all over my face after concealer. It has no coloring to it so it looks super natural, just giving you a more matte look and preventing shiny-ness throughout the day.
6) Bronzer | I have the shade ‘Surf’ and I apply it to my cheekbones, around my forehead, and on my chin to try and give the impression that I have one instead of two ;)
7) Blush | I just ordered ‘Sorbet’ for the winter because I love a deeper berry color! I love how pigmented this is and how easily it goes (and stays) on.