NEW DELHI: The CBI has booked 86 IAS, IPS and IRS officers in 61 cases of corruption in the past three years, Lok Sabha was informed Wednesday.
Minister of State for Personnel Jitendra Singh said 26 officers figuring in 20 CBI cases from these All India Services have been convicted in the past three years.
In response to a question, the minister said in two cases confiscation of properties to the extent of disproportionate assets are ordered by the court.
“So far as CBI is concerned, it has registered 61 regular cases relating to corruption and disproportionate assets against 86 number of IAS/IPS/IRS officers during the last three years — 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 (up to June 30, 2019),” he said.
The minister said no officer has escaped to other countries.
There is a decrease in the number of advice by the Central Vigilance Commission to act against erring officer from 2,088 in 2016 to 1,889 in 2018 hence it is incorrect to say that overall corruption has increased, he said.
“The central government is committed to its policy of ‘zero tolerance against corruption’ and has taken several measures to combat corruption,” he said. (AGENCIES)
NEW DELHI: The Committee of Administrators (COA) running Indian cricket has tasked the Kapil Dev-led ad-hoc committee to pick the next national coach, a move that could again divide the Supreme Court-appointed panel.
The ad-hoc body comprising former India captain Kapil, Anshuman Gaekwad and Shantha Rangaswamy had earlier appointed W V Raman as the Indian women’s team coach in December.
One of the members confirmed that the BCCI has approached them to pick the men’s head coach as well.
Back then, the COA was a two-member panel — comprising chairman Vinod Rai and former India captain Diana Edulji, who had called the women’s coach selection process unconstitutional.
She had asserted that only the Cricket Advisory Committee (CAC) was empowered to do so. COA is now a three-member body with the appointment of Lt General Ravi Thodge in February.
But with serious doubts over the future of CAC — comprising Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly and VVS Laxman — the COA thought it was prudent to hand the responsibility to the ad-hoc panel.
While Tendulkar has been cleared of conflict of interest charges, Ganguly and Laxman have been asked to choose one out of their multiple cricketing roles as per the BCCI constitution.
The COA, however, is yet to take a call on the matter.
Dev and Ranagsawamy too fall in the ambit of conflict of interest as they have are also responsible for the formation of the players’ association as per the new BCCI constitution.
The BCCI Tuesday invited applications for the men’s team support staff, including head coach who will need to be less than 60 years of age with a minimum international experience of two years.
The application deadline for all the roles is July 30.
The current support staff comprising incumbent head coach Ravi Shastri, bowling coach Bharat Arun, batting coach Sanjay Bangar and fielding coach R Sridhar were given a 45-day extension following the World Cup, covering the West Indies tour from August 3 to September 3.
All of them will get an automatic entry in the recruitment process. (AGENCIES)
NEW DELHI: Over 260 Kendriya Vidyalayas in the country are running in temporary premises provided by sponsors, with a majority of such schools functioning in Madhya Pradesh and Jammu and Kashmir followed by Bihar, according to HRD Ministry officials.
There are 1,206 KVs run in India by the Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan (KVS) under the aegis of the Ministry of Human Resource Development, while three such schools are operational abroad.
“As on date, 266 KVs are running in the temporary infrastructure provided by sponsors. As per the norms of KVS, due to lack of permanent buildings, teaching-learning process is affected,” a senior ministry official said.
“Construction of permanent buildings for KVs is a continuous process, which depends upon identification of suitable land, completion of lease formalities in favour of KVS by the sponsoring authorities, submission of drawings and estimates by construction agency besides availability of funds and requisite approvals,” the official added.
Of the 266 schools functioning out of temporary premises, 21 are in Madhya Pradesh and Jammu and Kashmir each. It is followed by Bihar which has 17 such schools.
“Buildings are under construction for 107 schools, while the buildings are in under planning for 98 schools. The land is yet to be transferred by the sponsoring authorities for 67 schools,” the official said.
Three KVs in the national capital are also operating out of temporary campuses.
While permanent buildings for 27 KVs were sanctioned during 2016-17, 11 of them were approved the next year.
“Permanent buildings for 51 KVs were sanctioned during 2018-19. No building has been sanctioned in 2019 so far for any KV,” the official said. (AGENCIES)
NEW DELHI: The International Court of Justice (ICJ) has ruled in favour of India in the appeal against former navy officer Kulbhushan Jadhav’s death sentence in Pakistan on charges of espionage and terrorism. According to reports, the world court said that Kulbhushan Jadhav’s death sentence should remain suspended until Pakistan effectively reviews and reconsiders the decision, and granted consular access to India.
The verdict was 15 to one in favour of India.
India had challenged the “farcical trial” that Kulbhushan Jadhav was put through on the basis of what it claims was an extracted confession, and had asked the world court to order Pakistan to annul the sentence and allow India consular access.
The verdict was read out at a public sitting of the United Nations court in The Hague.
NEW DELHI: The Union Cabinet on Wednesday approved the National Medical Commission (NMC) Bill which seeks to replace the Medical Council of India Act, 1956, and usher in mega reforms in the medical education sector.
The Bill will be introduced in the current session of parliament. It was first introduced in Parliament in December 2017, but lapsed with the dissolution of the 16th Lok Sabha.
The NMC Bill proposes a common final year MBBS exam, to be known as National Exit Test (NEXT), for admission to post-graduate medical courses and for obtaining license to practice. It would also act as a screening test for foreign medical graduates, official sources said. (AGENCIES)
LONDON: Ben Stokes admitted memories of the off-field incident that threatened his career triggered his tears after England’s historic World Cup triumph.
Stokes was found not guilty of affray following a street brawl during a night out in Bristol in 2017.
The all-rounder was banned and fined by the England and Wales Cricket Board after accepting a charge of bringing the game into disrepute.
Stokes was also stripped of the Test vice-captaincy and missed the Ashes tour, but he worked his way back from that chastening incident to enjoy a key role in England’s first ever World Cup title.
After some impressive displays on the road to the final, Stokes cemented his place as an English cricket icon by scoring 84 not out and then starring in the Super Over that sealed Sunday’s thrilling final win over New Zealand at Lord’s.
“I won’t look back and say I redeemed myself or anything like that – I’m an athlete and a cricketer and it’s what we are paid to do, to win trophies,” Stokes told ITV’s Good Morning Britain on Wednesday.
“It was coming back from all of that, it was tough. Getting back into cricket obviously massively helped straight after that.
“It was a stressful time for me, my wife, my family back home. I had amazing people around me, my team-mates, friends, family. They have to take a lot of credit for helping me to get through that.”
Stokes wept tears of joy on the Lord’s pitch immediately after England won the World Cup and he revealed thoughts of his past had come flooding back.
“I got emotional there, at the end, and that was probably a culmination of lots of things, happiness that we won it and subconsciously thinking and remembering back to what I went through,” he said.
Despite the team’s euphoric celebrations following England’s World Cup victory, Stokes insisted the team must start preparing for the Ashes Test series against old rivals Australia in August.
“We’ve achieved half of what we wanted to do, which is winning the World Cup,” Stokes said.
“Everyone who is involved in the Test team as well as the one-day team has sort of had to get their heads around the fact that we have an Ashes series coming up and we still have a serious amount of work to do.” (AGENCIES)
NEW DELHI: Over 56,000 acres of land in Jammu and Kashmir is with different defence departments, wings and organisations, and the total rent paid for it to land owners or the state government in the last three years is more than Rs 134 crore, Lok Sabha was informed on Wednesday.
Minister of State for Defence Shripad Naik, in his written reply to a question in Lok Sabha, gave details of district-wise total land in Jammu and Kashmir with the different defence departments, wings and organisations.
He said the land with different defence departments, wings and organisations is 18935.474 acres in Jammu, 3757.845 acres in Srinagar, 2326.644 acres in Budgam, 2152.83 acres in Anantnag, 3963.03 acres in Udhampur, and 3529.871 acres in Kargil.
Naik also gave details of the land with the defence departments, wings and organisations in other districts of the state with the total of such land being 56,615.54 acres.
The minister also gave details of district-wise rent paid in the last three years to land owners or the state government for defence lands.
According to the data given by him, Rs 1,34,45,28,793 was paid as rent in the last three years.
An amount of Rs 24,48,92,038 is the outstanding rent that is to be paid for the defence land in the state, Naik said. (AGENCIES)
NEW DELHI: There is no proposal to amend the GPF Rules for Government employees to allow them a second withdrawal for acquiring another house, the Lok Sabha was informed Wednesday.
“In accordance with General Provident Fund (Central Services) Rules 1960, withdrawal by a Government Employee up to 90% of the amount standing at credit in the General Provident Fund is permissible for building or acquiring a suitable house or a ready built flat for his/her residence,” Minister of State for Personnel Jitendra Singh said in response to a question.
He said according to the existing rules and instructions, if a government employee has already availed withdrawal from GPF for building or acquiring a house or flat, GPF withdrawal for a second house is not permissible.
“There is, at present, no proposal to amend the GPF Rules to allow a second withdrawal for acquiring another house,” he said. (AGENCIES)