Growing up closely with various church ministries and youth choir allowed me to hear and experience a lot of praise and worship songs. One of the artists that has been very eminent in my playlist is Don Moen. Don is the world's top Christian worship singer, songwriter and producer. His songs speaks so much of praise, thanksgiving, hope and love - which have found a natural way into my life.
Never in my entire life did I ever imagine to be sitting beside a Don Moen - much more be talking to him. When I foung the glimmer, I dreamed. I hoped and I prayed. And when that moment came, I found myself beyond nervous and stiffed. I've lost my words and became a learner right then and there.
Thanks to David of DJMC for making this meeting possible. God indeed made a way for this to happen.
What was planned as a 10-minute on-cam interview became a 22-minute conversation (plus the off-cam talk). Thanks to Don's generosity in sharing his thoughts and elaborating his stories.
Here's what he had to say about his kind of music, the message of his songs and what makes Dubai special:
Don Moen talks to Boy Dubai about Praise and Worship - YouTube
When I learned about Lenny Leblanc joining Don Moen on stage for a concert, I researched a bit about his music and treasure is what I found. As a big fan of romantic ballads, his Billboard chart-topper back in the 70s became an instant hit to me.
"Falling" put Lenny not only in the most prestigious music charts, but also in the hearts of fans all over the world.
But there was a very significant thing that happened to him, and he switched into a more profound music. Here's a very interesting chat I had with Lenny Leblanc:
Conversation with Lenny Leblanc in Dubai - YouTube
Many times, we find ourselves baffled by careless drivers on the streets - E V E R Y D A Y. I used to fret a lot about them, because road attitude to me is a big deal. One big mistake can harm you, or kill you.
But thanks to a brighter perspective. I started seeing and taking things lightly and positively. Here's what I mean:
When somebody is flashing behind and over speeding, there might be a really critical emergency in the family.
When somebody is not paying attention and not using indicators, he must be tired from a non-stop and stressful work.
When somebody is on the phone and is less attentive on the road, he must be missing his family so much and that's the only chance they could talk.
When somebody is driving so slow, his engine might have some issues.
When somebody caused an accident, he maybe out of focus because of serious depression.
When a pedestrian is crossing so slow on the street, he might have just lost his job.
These drivers can really get into our nerves. I do not tolerate such behaviours, but times like these happen. Instead of judgment, I choose to give the benefit of the doubt and keep a positive approach towards the situation. I do not escalate it within myself.
Don't let these scenarios change your mood and define your day. Give way. Move on quickly.
Be kind at all times. Everyone has a battle of their own. Respect the fighter. We also go to our own battlefields at times.
Give Thanks! Dubai is about to be inspired and be moved once again.
The legendary Don Moen, one of the most influential Christian music singer and songwriter, is returning to Dubai for "A Night of Thanksgiving." He will be sharing the stage with the equally award-winning hit maker Lenny Leblanc.
It's happening on 5th April 2018 at Sheikh Rashid Auditorium (opposite St. Mary's Church) - Eternitee and Boy Dubai proudly support this event organized by DJMC.
Here to give you a preview - the two jamming together for God is Good All The Time:
Don Moen - God Is Good All The Time (ft. Lenny LeBlanc) | Acoustic Worship Sessions - YouTube
Tickets are available from 80, 120, 150, 200 and 250 dirhams online at Platinumlist. If you buy early, you can get the silver for as low as 50 and the VIP for AED200 only. Whatever you are thinking, God will make a way, when there seems to be no way. See you there!
You must have been hearing Money Talks UAE for quite some time now. This is a brainchild of Randell Tiongson - one of the most sought-after motivational speaker in finance and investment. He's been going in and out of the UAE for 15 times already, and don't you wonder why? This event is on its 4th season now. I bet many of you want to find out the real story behind this annual conference. Let's get straight to the point. Here are 6 facts you ought to know about the event and the group behind it: They don't bring good speakersYes, because the group only brings the best and most inspiring financial speakers who share the same vision to help transform the lives of Filipinos overseas. Not just the good, but the best resources who can connect with OFWs. They always bring new faces and new minds year after year that tap in the greater areas of finance and investment.
This time, Randell will be joined by stock market experts Marvin Germo and Tony Herbosa, personal finance queen and ANC's On The Money host Salve Duplito, and Real Estate investment guru Carl Dy.
They don't pay their staffYes and they are proudly committed. This advocacy-driven group is powered by volunteerism. The volunteers are products of the first and previous Money Talks conferences who felt a calling to become advocates and continuously promote financial literacy to the Filipino community, beyond the Money Talks conference.
They travel from one emirate to another, conduct house-to-house or coffee sessions to share what they themselves have learned from their coaches and mentors. Because of their untiring dedication, they're able to empower thousands of lives to this date, and counting.
They want you to stop workingThey don't want you to be OFWs forever. The ultimate goal is to help OFWs define the path that leads to the way back home with a healthier financial status and fruitful investments.
The volunteers, who are also certified AFP and RFP (Associate & Registered Financial Planners), will eventually go back home as well. But a good succession planning is in place so somebody will continue what the pioneers have started.
They disrupt your comfort zoneThe principles you’re gonna learn from the sessions are not as cozy as those get-rich-quick schemes. They don’t give you the “power.” They help you to be empowered by unleashing your potential.
They won't give you fish for a day, but will teach you how to fish so you could feed yourself for life.
Randell has a hidden agendaThe man is not only a financial advocate. He is also a very dedicated steward of biblical finance. Everything he preaches, from the practical life principles to the technical investments tactics, are motivated by what the bible says. He never fails to give us reminders full of wisdom to stay connected to our Creator.
That’s one of the reasons why many people call him “coach.”
They will insist that you invest right awayYes. You’d definitely be encouraged to invest in yourself right away - time, finance and effort to continue educating yourself until you gain that elusive financial freedom.
So how do you feel after discovering the truth behind this event?
We are blessed to have access to these kind of learning from passionate and purpose-driven mentors, unlike the OFWs of previous generation.
Bottomline, if you do not want positive financial changes in your life, do not attend Money Talks Conference.
Randell Tiongson for Money Talks UAE 2018 - YouTube
My previous post, 101 Things To Do in Dubai, written couple of years ago, may now have a place in a museum. It just quickly became outdated.
New attractions sprout like mushrooms in the city. They come quick. Almost every month there are new places to see and new experiences to try. Some of us could easily miss what's happening around if we're not following major news and bloggers on social media. This is just a list. However, I've linked the significant ones so it can be handy for you to get more info. So let me start with the newest spots that are currently making a buzz in the city:
See the New Sights and Hangout Destinations
One of La Mer's beautiful spot - T-shirts by Eternitee
1. La Mer Situated by the beach, this place offers uninterrupted views of the Arabian Gulf and Dubai’s iconic skyline.
2. Al Seef Waterfront The destination includes a marina, traditional souk, a floating market and pontoons with space for floating restaurants, art galleries, and shops selling locally made Emirati crafts.
3. Riverland A fun-themed dining and retail destination, inspired by "Modern Old Europe" architecture
4. The Yard The Yard is home to Dubai's first Promise Bridge. This place situated at "The Last Exit" in D89 also offers a rustic courtyard, a farmer’s market, a bakery, a lake and shaded walking trails.
5. Box Park A riot of green, yellow, orange blue and grey container boxes, Boxpark is a mall unlike no other. It's uniquely very urban and provides a different soul of the city.
6. Dubai Frame Dubbed as world's best new attraction, this new concept takes the visitors to a journey through time on three different levels: old Dubai, present Dubai and future Dubai. The two towers are connected by a 100-square-metre bridge, which has a 25-square-metre glass panel in the middle offering a great 360 degree view.
7. Dubai Water Canal See a city in the midst of one of the world’s greatest urban transformations as it launches the Dubai Water Canal, a 3.2km long waterway which winds its way to the Arabian Gulf from the Creek in Old Dubai through Business Bay.
8. IMAGINE Light Show It is Dubai Festival City’s record-breaking new attraction, which offers unique sensory experience, harnesses the power of light, water, and fire, combined with giant aqua screens, 30 fountains and surround sound to connect with audiences and produce a show like never seen before.
9. Rise Dubai Creek Harbour Rise Dubai Creek Harbour brings in food, entertainment, edutainment, and retail to an already spectacular destination. All of the programming is curated to provide a flavor of fun, no matter what age you are.
11. Queen Elizabeth II luxury cruise ship After 10 years of docking in Dubai shores, the world famous cruise ship is set to become a hotel and museum
12. La Perle Aqua Theater Show La Perle's mysterious storyline, incredibly talented performers and one-of-a-kind stage concept is making major waves as the city's very first in-residence theatre show.
13. Dubai Opera Tour Embark on an adventure to discover Dubai’s iconic cultural destination, blending visionary architecture with moments of magic. Listen to stories about Dubai Opera’s unique heritage and breathtaking design. View exclusive VIP hospitality suite. Access unique multi-format auditorium
14. Ain Dubai / Blue Waters Island (see cover photo) Not yet 100% completed, but it's taking shape already and is opening soon. The observation wheel is set to become the largest and highest in the world. Ain Dubai will tower high above Dubai’s coastline with its dimensions far exceeding any similar existing structure. The observation wheel will open up never-seen-before 360-degree views of Dubai and its renowned landmarks and skyline.
15. Etihad Museum The museum is focused on inspiring its visitors with the story of the founding of the UAE.
81. Burj Park at Downtown 82. Bay Avenue 83. Zabeel Park 84. Mushrif Park 85. Dubai Creek Park
Flyboarding in Dubai Marina
Be Adventurous in Water
86. Flyboarding in Jumeirah beach 87. Wakeboarding in Dubai Marina 88. Aquaventure, The Lost Chambers & Dolphin Bay in Atlantis 89. Try extreme water thrills and rides at Wild Wadi Waterpark 90. Yacht ride to The World Islands 91. Dubai Aquarium and Underwater Zoo + Cage snorkeling 92. Kite Surf at Kite Beach
Shop at these Unique Shopping Destinations Dubai can easily beat New York, Paris or London as the world's best shopping destination. Malls, traditional and modern souks and popular bargain shopping centres are almost in the every corner of the emirate.
93. Citywalk Malls
94. Souk Al Bahar and Dubai Mall 95. Ibn Batutta Mall 96. Dubai Outlet Mall 97. The Outlet Village 98. Souk Madinat Jumeirah 99. Gold Souk and the Gold and Diamond Park 100. The Outlet Village, Jebel Ali
There you go! You have no excuses not to go out on weekends anymore. Plan ahead to spend more quality time with friends and family in different places. You don't really have to spend much also. Many of the places don't require you to splurge to enjoy.
More upcoming attractions are set to open this year, including the following iconic ones:
Madame Tussad's Museum in Blue Waters Island Mohammed bin Rashid Library Cityland Mall Deira Night Souk Aladdin City Azizi Riviera
NOTE: Photos are source through Google Image search. Credits to their respective owners.
I am grateful to be in the 100 Most Influential Filipinos in the Gulf for the 3rd consecutive year.
As long as my stories have relevance to you, I won't get tired writing about these experiences and learnings from my typical day struggles and successes... the fun and the pun of life. Boy Dubai will remain committed to changing perspectives one story at a time.
Team Illustrado Magazine, thank you for seeing the goodness in people and for promoting excellence in the community.
I've done silly things in the past and I was stupid. I'm broke and I live in a dysfunctional world. I'm not perfect and at times I feel not deserving to be carrying out a sacred mission. I am a sinner. But with God's unconditional love and unending grace, he has made me WORTHY to carry on. "Doing business with God" does not entitle us of a smooth sail. As they say, it's tough to live a real Christian life, albeit a doable one. Striving to live a righteous life is an everyday agenda. It's a joy to use our God-given rationale to discern things accordingly. While we are not spared from challenges and struggles, we allow ourselves to be lead by His direction so we would be equipped with the right principles and perspective in facing the tough road ahead.
I will continue to witness for the goodness and kindness of the Lord in my own challenge-filled life.
Philippians 2:13 says, "for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose."
I am worthy. We all are worthy.
Read Full Article
Read for later
Articles marked as Favorite are saved for later viewing.
Scroll to Top
Separate tags by commas
To access this feature, please upgrade your account.