Summer time travel is the best! Packing can be the worst but, it doesn't have to be! My packing tips after the jump.
I recently took a three day rest and relaxation trip to Miami after a bunch of back to back work travel. I partnered with Hotel Tonight (use my code KBROWN925 for $25 off) on a stay at the stunning Nobu Hotel on Miami Beach. I'd been lugging around a giant suitcase for weeks and wanted to keep things really simple so I put to use some of my fail proof packing tips for a gal on the go who doesn't want to drag her entire life with her.
1. Suitcase over Duffle - Duffle and weekend bags are adorable but honestly, you get so much more room in a carry on suitcase. Not to mention you don't have to carry around your 50lb bag! You can also bring a small duffel as your other on plane time. I usually will stick my purse inside the duffle bag along with anything I want easy access to on the flight. It also leaves room for collectibles you pick up on your travels.
2. Inside the Suitcase - I get asked all the time how I fit my plus size clothing into small carry on luggage and the key is to ROLL EVERYTHING. Undies, dresses, all of it. Roll, roll, roll! There are also dope packing cubes that help consolidate items even if you just use them for under clothes and tees etc. Folding is out kids, all about the roll!
3. Plan you outfits - If you want to fit your things into a carry on and don't want to arrive feeling like you have nothing to wear, the best thing you can do is to plan your outfits. I gather any key items I want to wear or photograph when I'm traveling and create complete outfits for the exact number of days I'll be there. I know, I know - you like options but guess what, options go unworn and carried across state lines for no reason. Plan outfits you love and are excited to wear and you'll be so glad you didn't waste precious real estate in your luggage.
4. Bring versatile items - I love to bring items that can work more than one way. This yellow dress is a beach cover up but also looks really cool as a going out dress. I also pack fun accessories so I don't get bored with simple things like a swimsuit or tee and shorts. Accessories can totally change the look of something like a simple maxi dress that you might want to wear over and over again.
5. You're not going to use 25 face masks - Don't OD on your beauty products. Now is not the time to assume you'll do a 45 step night time routine when you don't normally do that at home. Pack the essentials and keep it moving. I love to try new things on the road but I'll bring trial sizes that will only last a few days anyway and you toss out the container. No need to even bring the empties home.
As far as trends go, this summer dress trend is a winner and the plus size options are fantastic.
I can't get enough of button front dresses. Let's be honest, I can't get enough of most dresses in summer but this particular trend has me all in my feels. It's such a fun nod to vintage lady like styles but I'm obsessed with the modern and fresh styling from this season. It's like an alternate universe 1950's means the 90's and I'm here for it all! Below I rounded up some of my favs.
Loving some of my new summer clothes. Want to watch me try on? Yeah ya do!
SUMMER BANGERS | COLLECTIVE PLUS SIZE TRY ON HAUL - YouTube
Do you normally watch try on videos?? Let me know! My youtube community loves these and find them super helpful for picking out clothes when you want either ideas or to see things on a non-model body. My fav is this floral dress (obvi!) it's so easy and can be dressed up or down. Everything featured in the video is linked below!
Suburban Target runs are the greatest gift. Sis and I tried a bunch on!
THE CUTEST CLOTHES AT TARGET FOR ALL SIZES | SHOPPING VLOG AND TRY ON - YouTube
One of my favorite things about Target is that my sister and I can shop together. Growing up plus size with a sister who isn't I didn't get a lot of chances to shop and try on clothes together. So having a place we can both run around and pick out cute things is important to me! Thought I wish more of the plus options were in-store rather than online only, certain locations have decent plus size sections. Below I rounded up a few of my favs that I either tried on and purchased or that I saw in straight sizes and am totally ordering or thought are cute! Hope you enjoy and don't forget to subscribe to my youtube channel if you haven't already xo
When your life is filled with sequins, you kind of need other pieces to mix in!
AFFORDABLE SUMMER BASICS | PLUS SIZE ESSENTIALS TRY ON HAUL - YouTube
I haven't shopped Old Navy in a while and man did I make out well! My wardorbe is filled with statement pieces but I have a hard time looking for/caring about basics. Which - is obviously stupid because you really do need underpinnings and things to go with things right? So! I hit up the site and here's what I got. Trying it all on so you can see how things look on my body. For reference i'm 5'10 and a size US24. If you haven't already subscribed to my youtube it would be amazing if you did!
There's nothing like sharing an amazing experience with an awesome group of kick ass women.
Last week I hit the Billboard Awards red carpet in Las Vegas with some of the dopest lady bosses in partnership with Uber. One of my favorite things about my job, aside from being able to connect with so many of you - is to meet incredible, creative and inspiring women who share a passion for entrepreneurism. Being an influencer these days is so much more than just snapping selfies. We work really hard, building our brands, our businesses and opportunities.
One of my biggest inspirations is music. It motivates and moves me so when Uber (my honest to goodness primary mode of transportation) asked if I wanted to check out one of musics biggest and best award shows, it was an obvious heck yeah.
Seeing the female legends who took the stage was so much fun! Getting to do that with a group of women I admire was even better! I've been following the Quann sisters for a while. Their style and unapologetic black girl magic is awe worthy! Also there was one of my nearest and dearest Gabi Fresh who we all know and love but I also got to meet and take what is probably the most epic boomerang of all time with the one and only Patrick Starr. I also met singer song writer Bonnie Mckee who wrote "Teenage Dream" and a number of other massive hits. Total doll of a human who won my award for best accessory - hit her IG to see the telephone purse OMG. We, a diverse group of creatives having an absolute blast in celebrating the unbelievable women who took the stage left me with such a bounce in my step! What's your fav song right now??
Is this not the happiest little rainbow ya ever did see?
I'm having a lot of fun playing around with rainbow prints. You know I have no problem wearing color but I've never really had an affinity for wearing a rainbow. It's obviously a big trend right now and I'm so glad to see how many plus size options there are. The fun thing about trends is it might open you up to an idea you didn't really have before and you end up really liking it!