Police have arrested a man after he punched an elderly man in the middle of a Dunkin Donuts in Miami Beach.
According to Miami Beach Police, the elderly man was sitting in the restaurant with two friends like he does every morning when the suspect came inside and hit him. The man then got into a fight with the two friends before he took off.
Police later found the suspect on the roof of a nearby business.
The victim said he doesn’t even know what the man’s motive was.
“A fellow walks over, and he starts asking me questions: ‘Do I know, did I hear about some woman that got raped in another country?’ I said ‘No,’ and then he just took his hands out of his pocket and he whacked me,” the victim said. “Two of my friends jumped on him. They were with me in the room and they held him, they grabbed him and he freed himself and he ran away.”
An employee of the restaurant said she has seen the attacker before. She said he came into the store earlier and left. He later returned, used the bathroom and then hit the man.
The victim and a friend were taken to the hospital to be evaluated.
The motive behind the attack is unclear. However, the man and his friends are Jewish and were wearing their kippahs. However, it is unclear if that was a factor.
DETROIT (AP) — A 12-year-old Michigan boy who’d been working odd jobs to raise money for a gravestone for his best friend is getting some help.
Funeral home owner David Techner decided to donate a headstone after reading The Detroit News’ story about Kaleb Klakulak, who had been best friends with Kenneth “K.J.” Gross since second grade. K.J. died in May after years of chemotherapy to fight leukemia.
K.J.’s mother, LaSondra Singleton, had to quit her job to take care of her sick son and couldn’t afford a headstone. So Kaleb started raking leaves and collecting bottles, with hopes of raising $2,500 for a headstone to honor his friend.
Techner, who owns Ira Kaufman Chapel in the Detroit suburb of Southfield, told The Detroit News that “the story really touched my heart.”
“Here’s this 12-year-old kid who saw a need and did what needed to be done,” Techner said. “So I’m just following this young man’s lead.”
Kaleb said he’s “glad.”
Singleton said she is “overwhelmed and grateful” for the outpouring of support, though she said the attention has caused her to relive some hard moments.
“It’s a double-edged sword because it’s sad, but at the same time, it’s so wonderful to see so much compassion,” she said.
The marker was completed Tuesday and will soon be transported to K.J.’s gravesite at Elmwood Cemetery in Detroit. The headstone features an image of an angel holding a heart with the inscription: “KJ Gross, cherished son, brother & friend.”
Body camera video showing a Miami Beach Police officer punching a man he was arresting at an Ocean Drive restaurant is raising a lot of questions and plenty of concerns in the community.
The clip shows Miami Beach Officer Adiel Dominguez striking 35-year-old Lowell Poitier in the face at the Pelican Hotel and Restaurant on the 800 block of Ocean Drive, Dec. 3.
South Beach passers-by who saw the video said the officer should have observed restraint.
“He’s a cop. He probably could have held his cool a little better than that,” said Eric.
The footage shows officers asking Poitier to leave after, the arrest form states, the restaurant manager called 911 because he was screaming and cursing at guests.
Within seconds, Poitier walked up to Dominguez and shouted in his face. Dominguez then struck him with his fist.
But what’s raising questions is whether or not Dominguez is telling the truth and if the punch was warranted.
The report states Poitier “clenched his fists, took a fighting stance and leaned into Officer Dominguez’s face.”
However, the video tells another story.
“It’s not like he was making a defensive move because the guy attacked him,” said passer-by Tom Fry. “He was just kind of standing there and smarting off to him.”
Miami Beach Police Officer Frederick Dominguez, who is not related to the Officer Dominguez seen in the video, is now asking for whistleblower protections. He is the one who brought the bodycam forward.
Frederick Dominguez’s attorney has contacted Miami Beach Police. He said his client believes this is an assault of an unarmed citizen.
“It’s so violent. It’s so unprovoked,” said passer-by Gary Donner.
Miami Beach Police Chief Daniel Oates released a statement to 7News that reads, “This is obviously a very serious matter. At my direction, our Internal Affairs Unit immediately launched an investigation. We have also notified the Miami-Dade State Attorney’s Office. The officer has been relieved of his patrol duties. He will be placed in a non-enforcement assignment until further notice.”
“I think the police chief’s being honest. C’mon, we see it happen all the time,” said Fry. “Law enforcement agents all the time don’t behave to the standard they should.”
But the Miami Beach Fraternal Order of Police has come to Dominguez’s defense. President Robert Jenkins issued a statement that reads, “There is no question Officer Dominguez was legally justified and fully entitled to protect himself. Like every citizen, police officers are entitled to protect themselves from imminent harm when physically threatened by another.”
In his own statement, Miami Beach City Manager Jimmy Morales said the city stands behind the police department to conduct this investigation to determine whether Dominguez’s actions were justified.
LIGHTHOUSE POINT, FLA. (WSVN) — Last minute preparations are underway for the 2018 Seminole Hard Rock Winterfest Boat Parade.
“This is such a great community event,” said Advanced Roofing President Rob Kornahrens.
Kornahrens has been organizing and participating in the parade for over two decades.
“There’s so many boats that are just up to almost 200 feet and really decorated well,” he said. “It just puts you in the holiday spirit.”
This year, his boat theme is “Animal House,” after the cult classic 1980s hit film starring John Belushi.
“We’re gonna do “Animal House,” so we’ll have a bunch of family and friends up on there doing the togas and doing the shout,” said Kornahrens, “and we’re gonna have a blast.”
Boat owners like Kornahrens spend weeks decorating their vessels to light Fort Lauderdale’s Intracoastal Waterway every winter.
“It’s gonna be a beautiful night — clear, little chilly. Dress warm and just experience it,” said Kornahrens.
The one-of-a-kind parade is expected to feature around 100 boats, with over a million viewers from around the world.
“Anywhere along the New River, Las Olas, get down there early, walk around,” said Kornahrens. “The boats will be tied up. You can actually come on and say hi to me. Everybody is really friendly and really in the spirit.”
The Seminole Hard Rock Winterfest Boat Parade kicks off on Saturday at 7 p.m. For tickets, click here.
A Miami-Dade Police officer has died after he was involved in an all-terrain vehicle crash in Southwest Miami-Dade.
According to officials, a Miami-Dade Police officer crashed into a tree along a canal near U.S. 1 and Southwest 211th Street, Wednesday afternoon.
Today, @MiamiDadePD lost one of our own LEO as a result of an ATV crash. I want to thank all law enforcement, community, elected officials, media, & @MiamiDadeFire for the support and prayers. The family thanks you as well. When tragedy strikes we are comforted by your support.
The officer was taken to Jackson South Medical Center, where he died from head injuries.
“Unfortunately, today we’re here to talk about a tragedy that occurred in our department to one of the officers that protect the community,” a tearful MDPD Director Juan Perez said at a news conference.
Police cruisers blocked every intersection along the way to ensure a speedy transport.
Officers were seen holding a yellow tarp to cover the officer as he was taken inside the hospital.
Dozens of officers gathered outside of the hospital’s entrance after learning of his passing.
Back at the scene, 7Skyforce HD hovered overhead where an ATV could be seen with handlebar and frame damage.
“Earlier today, one of our officers was operating an ATV vehicle,” Perez said. “We were handling some complaints that were received in one of the Citizen Advisory Committee meetings, dealing with some illegal activities along the canal bank. Nuisance type of activities, as well as some thefts.”
As the officer was attempting an enforcement action that involved moving to a different location, he crashed his ATV into a tree.
Nearby officers rushed to his aid and administered CPR as they awaited rescue crews.
“He had an unfortunate accident that is currently under investigation, so it will reveal what actually occurred,” Perez said.
The Busway along Southwest 211th Street was closed as police continued their investigation.
“Obviously our officers are shaken up,” Perez said as other officers could be seen holding back tears. “We lost one of our own.”
Investigators refrained from releasing the officer’s identity as they work to notify next of kin.
“We stand united with the family, with the children of the officer,” Perez said. “He is a married individual, devoted husband and father. Our family behind me and the rest of us, we all stand united and will try to provide as much support moving forward for the family.”
The officer was a father of three and a 15-year veteran with the department.
Perez expressed appreciation for the media for its coverage of the crash because “that means we made a connection.”
“We’re part of the family, the community family. We thank you for the support,” he added.
Doctors and first responders also received praise from the director.
“What I did leave out was the gratitude that I have for the fire rescue personnel that responded out there, for Chief Downey and his staff for trying so hard,” Perez said, “for the doctor and his staff at Jackson South for trying their best.”
As of 6 p.m., preparations were underway to escort the officer’s body to the medical examiner’s office.
Officials said the procession will head west along Southwest 152nd Street and eventually take the Florida Turnpike north.
The cause of the crash remains under investigation.
NEW YORK (AP) â Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump’s one-time fixer, was sentenced Wednesday to three years in prison for crimes that included arranging the payment of hush money to conceal his boss’ alleged sexual affairs, telling a judge that he agreed time and again to cover up Trump’s “dirty deeds” out of “blind loyalty.”
Separately, the legal and political peril surrounding Trump appeared to deepen when prosecutors announced that another major piece of the investigation had fallen into place: The parent company of the National Enquirer acknowledged dispensing some of the hush money in concert with the Trump campaign to fend off a scandal that could have damaged his bid for the White House.
Cohen, 52, shook his head slightly and closed his eyes as a judge pronounced his sentence for evading $1.4 million in taxes, lying about Trump’s business dealings in Russia and violating campaign-finance laws in buying the silence of porn star Stormy Daniels and Playboy centerfold Karen McDougal, who claimed they had sex with the candidate. Cohen and federal prosecutors have said the payments were made at Trump’s direction to influence the election.
“Time and time again, I felt it was my duty to cover up his dirty deeds rather than to listen to my own inner voice and my moral compass,” said a choked-up Cohen, a lawyer who once boasted he would “take a bullet” for Trump. “My weakness can be characterized as a blind loyalty to Donald Trump, and I was weak for not having the strength to question and to refuse his demands.”
The twin developments represented a double dose of bad news for the president, who ignored reporters’ questions about Cohen during an appearance at the White House later in the day.
Cohen is the first and, so far, only member of Trump’s circle during two years of investigations to go into open court and implicate him in a crime, though whether a president can be prosecuted under the Constitution is an open question.
In a possible sign of further trouble for the president, Cohen said he will continue cooperating with prosecutors, and one of his legal advisers said Cohen is also prepared to tell “all he knows” to Congress if asked.
At the sentencing, defense attorney Guy Petrillo pleaded for leniency for Cohen, saying, “He came forward to offer evidence against the most powerful person in our country.”
U.S. District Judge William H. Pauley III said the defendant deserved modest credit, but his assistance “does not wipe the slate clean.”
“Somewhere along the way Mr. Cohen appears to have lost his moral compass,” the judge said.
The judge also ordered Cohen to pay $1.39 million in restitution to the IRS, forfeit $500,000 and pay $100,000 in fines. He was ordered to report to prison March 6 and left court without comment.
The prison sentence was in line with what prosecutors asked for. Sentencing guidelines called for around four to five years, and the government asked in court papers that Cohen be given only a slight break.
The sentence was the culmination of a spectacular rise and fast fall of a lawyer who attached himself to the fortunes of his biggest client, helped him get elected president, then turned on him, cooperating with two interconnected investigations: one run by federal prosecutors in New York, the other by special counsel Robert Mueller, who is looking into Russia’s efforts to influence the presidential election.
Beyond the guilty pleas, it is unclear what Cohen has told prosecutors or what he has left to say, though one of Mueller’s prosecutors, Jeannie Rhee, said in court that Cohen has “provided consistent and credible information about core Russia-related issues under investigation.” Legal experts said Cohen could get his sentence reduced by cooperating.
In the hush-money case, Cohen arranged for American Media Inc., parent of the pro-Trump National Enquirer, to pay $150,000 to McDougal to buy and bury her story, according to prosecutors. Cohen also said he paid $130,000 to Daniels and was reimbursed by Trump’s business empire. Both payments were made during the heat of the 2016 campaign.
Prosecutors said those secret payouts were not reported as campaign contributions and violated the ban on corporate contributions and the $2,700 limit on donations by an individual.
Shortly after Cohen’s sentencing, federal authorities announced a deal not to prosecute AMI. As part of the deal, prosecutors said, AMI admitted making the payment to McDougal “in concert” with the Trump campaign to protect him from a story that could have hurt his candidacy. An AMI representative had no comment.
Trump has denied any sexual relationship with the women and argued on Twitter earlier this week that the payments to the women were “a simple private transaction,” not a campaign contribution. And if it was a prohibited contribution, Trump said, Cohen is the one who should be held responsible.
“Lawyer’s liability if he made a mistake, not me,” Trump wrote, adding, “Cohen just trying to get his sentence reduced. WITCH HUNT!”
Trump’s legal culpability could hinge on whether the payments to the women were, in fact, made at his direction, and whether he intended them to influence the election.
In a case with some parallels, prosecutors in 2011 charged former Sen. John Edwards with funneling nearly $1 million in under-the-table campaign contributions to hide his pregnant lover during his 2008 run for president. Edwards had argued that the payments were a personal matter â intended to keep things secret from his wife â and had nothing to do with the election.
A jury acquitted the Democrat on one charge and deadlocked on other counts. He wasn’t retried.
In addition to pleading guilty to the campaign-finance and tax charges, Cohen admitted lying to Congress to conceal that he was negotiating a proposal to build a Trump skyscraper in Moscow well into the presidential campaign season. He said he lied out of devotion to Trump, who insisted during the campaign that he had no business ties whatsoever to Russia.
Daniels’ lawyer, Michael Avenatti, who played a major role in exposing the hush-money discussions, said outside the courthouse: “We will not stop until the truth is known relating to the conduct of Donald Trump.”
But he added: “Let me be clear, Michael Cohen is neither a hero nor a patriot” and “deserves every day of the 36-month sentence he will serve.”
A second house in a Southwest Miami-Dade neighborhood was targeted by a thief trying to snatch up Christmas decorations.
The home surveillance camera captured the subject as he went to the front porch to steal a package before he then sets his sights on an inflatable Santa Claus lawn decoration, Tuesday.
Crooks have come out of the woodwork this holiday season to steal some Christmas cheer.
Ring doorbell surveillance camera at a home along Southwest 60th Street and 109th Court showed a man swiping a package and then attempting to steal the inflatable Santa. When he had some trouble, he decided to leave and fled in a U-Haul truck.
“It’s horrible that people actually do that,” said a neighbor who did not want to be identified. “I think that’s kind of low, scumbag type of stuff.”
This is not the first time something like this has happened in this neighborhood.
Early Saturday morning, surveillance video captured a crook as he tried to steal a Mickey and Minnie Mouse inflatable lawn display. In this case, he was able to get away with the decorations.
One resident said these burglaries make her nervous. “A lot of kids are coming for Christmas, and that’s weird,” she said.
Other neighbors told 7News that holiday decoration burglaries have happened in the past.
“This happened to my husband and I twice already,” said one resident. “We had the super-sized Santas and they got stolen off of our yard two times.”
She said that they decided to downsize after being hit twice.
“They don’t care about the little Santas. They want the super, large ones that are taller than the house,” she said. “Those are the ones that got stolen, so we learned our lesson and stopped getting those because we don’t want it to get stolen a third time.”
The victim in Tuesday’s case said the package swiped contained an Elf on the Shelf.
If you have any information on either burglary, call Miami-Dade Crime Stoppers at 305-471-TIPS. Remember, you can always remain anonymous, and you may be eligible for a $1,000 reward.