ALBANY, N.Y. (CBSNewYork/AP) — The State Liquor Authority has shut down a bar popular with Albany college students after finding the tavern was more than twice over its capacity and most of the 150 patrons present were underage.
The agency says investigators and Albany police officers conducting a compliance inspection around 1 a.m. Oct. 12 at the Varsity Lounge found about 150 customers inside a place with a legal maximum capacity of 70.
Officials say only 15 customers were old enough to legally drink in the establishment.
The SLA has suspended the bar’s liquor license and agency officials say they intended to have the license permanently canceled or revoked. The bar’s owners have been cited for more than three dozen violations of the state alcoholic beverage law.
EAST MORICHES, N.Y. (CBSNewYork/AP) — A small plane ended up on a Long Island road after running off a runway Saturday, leaving the aircraft damaged but no one injured, authorities said.
After taking off from Republic Airport in Farmingdale, pilot Nedie Seidu flew about 40 miles east and tried to land at the small Lufker Airport in East Moriches around 12:30 p.m., the Suffolk County Police Department said.
Seidu wasn’t able to stop before rolling off the runway onto Montauk Highway, authorities said.
The single-engine Piper PA-28 crossed the two-lane road and hit a sign, damaging the plane’s propeller and a wing before it came to rest in front of a commercial strip, police said.
No contact information for Seidu, 30, of Manhattan, could immediately be found.
The pilot was bringing the plane in for maintenance at a repair show at Lufker Airport, which has a 2,300-foot-long (701-meter-long) grass runway, said manager Ron DeLalio.
“He just overshot the field, came in a little too hot,” said DeLalio, who wasn’t acquainted with the pilot.
The Federal Aviation Administration said there was a second person aboard. That person’s name wasn’t immediately released.
FAA records show the plane is owned by a Delaware company with the same name as a Farmingdale flight school and airplane rental company. A man who answered its phone declined to comment and hung up.
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — Gang Green decided to shuffle their already thin wide receiver deck ahead of Sunday’s showdown with the Minnesota Vikings.
The Jets on Saturday announced the release of veteran wide receiver Terrelle Pryor, who has been dealing with a nagging groin injury, and the simultaneous promotion of wide receiver Deontay Burnett from the team’s practice squad.
We've activated WR Deontay Burnett and released WR Terrelle Pryor.
With Pryor unlikely to play Sunday against Minnesota and Quincy Enunwa out with a sprained ankle, the Jets were already short-handed at receiver. Burnett was a likely choice to be added to the roster, since he was a teammate of quarterback Sam Darnold at USC. Burnett was signed by Tennessee as an undrafted free agent in May and waived when the Titans made their final cuts last month. New York signed him to the practice squad a few days later.
Pryor, 29, had 14 catches for 235 yards and two touchdowns — one in each of the last two games — but was hurt last Sunday against Indianapolis. The former Washington wideout signed with New York after one disappointing season with the Redskins.
A top high school recruit from southwestern Pennsylvania, Pryor was the starting quarterback for Ohio State from 2008-10 and became one of college football’s most exciting players. He threw for 6,177 yards and 57 touchdowns and ran for 2,164 yards and 17 scores in three seasons with the Buckeyes.
But Pryor withdrew from Ohio State in June 2011 after a memorabilia-for-cash-and-tattoos scandal that resulted in a five-game suspension and ultimately led to coach Jim Tressel’s resignation. Two months later, Pryor was selected by Oakland in the NFL supplemental draft.
He played in just four games during his first two seasons with the Raiders, including one start at quarterback. Pryor started nine games in 2013 with shaky results, throwing for two TDs and 11 interceptions before being benched in favor of Matt McGloin following a sprained knee ligament earlier in the season.
Pryor was traded to Seattle before the 2014 NFL draft, but was among the Seahawks’ final cuts. He sat out the entire season despite having workouts with several teams. Kansas City signed him in January 2015, but then released him five months later. Pryor briefly joined Cincinnati, but was again cut — and then announced that he would be willing to play wide receiver on a full-time basis.
Cleveland claimed Pryor off waivers and he played in three games for the Browns, who named him a starter at wide receiver the following season. Despite still being raw at the position, Pryor’s athleticism and versatility was on full display in 2016 as he led the Browns in receptions, yards receiving, TD catches, yards per game and yards per catch.
In a game at Miami, he became the first player since Hall of Famer Frank Gifford of the Giants in 1959 to have at least 120 yards receiving (144), 30 yards passing (35) and 20 yards rushing (25) in a game. He also played a snap at safety and became the first player since San Francisco’s Billy Kilmer in 1964 to have three catches, carries and passes in a game.
Pryor parlayed his promising season with the Browns into a nice payday with the Redskins, and things started off well as he had six catches for 66 yards in the opener. But his production was inconsistent from that point before the ankle injury ended his season — and, it turned out, his tenure in Washington — after Week 11.
“I am here, you want to call me tomorrow I will be here. If you want to do it with Mr. Molinaro I will be here,” the governor said on the radio.
Molinaro scuffed at the offer to participate in an unplanned, “pop up” debate that’s not on TV or properly prepared.
Marc Molinaro (credit: CBS2)
“This is a fraud that he’s trying to perpetuate in order to check a box and say ‘I offered it, he doesn’t want it’,” Molinaro told CBS2 Political Reporter Marcia Kramer. “Give me a break, he doesn’t want to appear before the public because he can’t defend his record.”
The challenger added he was also worried that Jewish voters who celebrate the Sabbath would be left out of a potential Saturday morning debate.
Molinaro continued his attack on the seemingly empty gesture via Twitter. The Republican even compared Cuomo to the “Cowardly Lion” from “The Wizard of Oz.” He then threw down the gauntlet for the governor to face him on CBS2 in a one-hour, televised debate during the work week.
Hey, Andrew: You and me. Debate. WCBS Radio and WCBS TV. Weekday. One hour. Be there. @NYGovCuomo
“On what planet does the incumbent governor get to dictate that voters come crawling to him at 8 a.m. on a Saturday morning?” Molinaro said on the same radio station Friday.
So when the time came on Saturday morning, Molinaro and Gov. Cuomo were both nowhere to be found.
A spokesperson for Cuomo responded to Molinaro’s debate refusal in a statement Friday:
“Mr. Molinaro has refused the WCBS invitation on the theory that listeners need time to schedule listening to the debate. It is an absurd excuse… Welcome to 2018 and new technology – listeners now download and engage at their convenience. This situation vindicates what the governor has said all along, which is Mr. Molinaro only wants to “debate the debate.”
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – The NYPD has released photos of suspects being sought in connection with several of their ongoing investigations.
CAPITAL ONE BANK ROBBERY
The NYPD is looking for a man accused of robbing a bank in the Bronx on Friday.
Police say just after 4 p.m., the suspect entered the Capital One Bank on White Plains Road in Wakefield and handed a note to the teller demanding money.
Investigators say the man dumped the cash nearby after a security dye pack slipped in with the stolen money exploded.
The suspect is described as a black man around 60-years-old and was last seen wearing a wool hat, tan jacket, and glasses.
Police are trying to find the man they say stabbed a person inside a Brooklyn eatery.
Authorities say the suspect stabbed a 29-year-old man in the chest and stomach just after midnight on Oct. 14. The assault took place inside of 4417 New Utrecht Avenue.
The victim was taken to a local hospital in critical but stable condition.
BRONX MALL ASSAULT
Police are looking for three people accused of attacking a mall security guard in the Bronx.
Investigators say on Oct. 6 the female security guard was escorting four people out of Bay Plaza Shopping Center in Wakefield.
Authorities say three of them then began punching her repeatedly in the face before running away.
The woman was treated at Jacobi Hospital for a fractured eye.
Police are looking for a man they say made off with an expensive bag from a Gucci store in Midtown.
According to the NYPD, the suspect entered the Fifth Avenue store on Oct. 2 just after 5 p.m. and allegedly stole a belt bag valued at $1,690.
The suspect is described as a Hispanic man last seen wearing dark glasses with a bowl haircut.
Anyone with information in regards to these incidents is asked to call the NYPD’s Crime Stoppers Hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477) or for Spanish, 1-888-57-PISTA (74782). The public can also submit their tips by visiting the Crime Stoppers website or by texting tips to 274637 (CRIMES) then enter TIP577.
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – New York City’s Department of Education and the Broadway League have teamed up to tackle a big goal.
The duo is looking to give every New York City public high school student the chance to see a Broadway show before graduation.
The program is called “Broadway Bridges.”
Charlotte St. Martin of the Broadway League (Credit: CBS2)
CBS2’s Andrea Grymes and Cindy Hsu sat down with the president of the Broadway League, Charlotte St. Martin, who says they hope every 10th grade in the city will get to see a Broadway play within five years.
St. Martin adds that Broadway Bridges will take about 17,000 10th graders in 2018, the program’s second year in existence. The program hopes to take 25,000 students to a show next year.
Working with the Department of Education, the Broadway League has dropped the cost of a ticket to $10 for the students and also provides them with study guides detailing future careers available in theater.
The theater director says working with children has helped her to persevere through her health issues.
Tada! is a non-profit that provides young people with musical theater programs and produces original musicals for children, teens, and family audiences in New York City.
Tada! Youth Theater (Credit: CBS2)
Trevens’ message to women dealing with cancer is “trust your gut.” Trevens said it’s important to ask your doctor all the questions you may have about treatment and question what treatment will work best for you.
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – A new report has found that fewer people are taking the subways.
MTA’s preliminary monthly report from August shows weekday ridership dropped 2.5 percent.
Ridership on the weekends dropped off significantly, falling nearly nine percent.
A representative for the MTA board suggests the growing number of delays and service changes due to “track and signal work” are causing commuters to get discouraged with taking public transportation.
Despite Transit Authority chief Andy Byford’s assurances that service is improving, the subways are fighting an uphill battle against their own failing reputation with customers. In 2017, a five-year study found that subway delays had more than doubled, from 28,000 a month in 2012 to a staggeringly poor 70,000 delays a month in 2017.