SUNRISE (CBSMiami/AP) — One of the most emotional nights in BB&T Center history ended with jubilation for Florida Panthers fans.
Vincent Trocheck scored the winning goal with 19.1 seconds left to lift the Panthers over the Washington Capitals 3-2 on Thursday night, hours after victims of last week’s shooting at nearby Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School were honored with a somber video tribute.
With the score tied at 2, Trocheck redirected a shot by Jonathan Huberdeau past goaltender Braden Holtby during a power play.
Nick Bjugstad scored the tying goal for the Panthers late in the third period, and Maxim Mamin got his first NHL goal. Roberto Luongo made 33 saves in his third game since returning from a groin injury.
Andre Burakovsky had a goal and an assist, and Lars Eller also scored for the Capitals. Holtby stopped 30 shots but lost his fifth straight.
Bjugstad tied the game at 2 when he took a pass from Aleksander Barkov in front and poked in the puck with 3:42 left.
Burakovsky’s power-play goal gave the Capitals a 2-1 lead at 9:56 of the second. Alex Ovechkin fed the puck to Burakovsky in the slot, where he lined it up and fired a shot past Luongo.
Mamin gave the Panthers a 1-0 lead at 4:50 of the first period when he poked in the rebound of a shot by Ian McCoshen. Mamin’s goal was his first point in eight NHL games.
The Capitals tied it on Eller’s goal. Burakovsky took a shot from the high slot that glanced off Eller’s stick and in with 1:05 left in the first.
Before the game, the arena video screen showed the names and faces of each of the 17 students who were killed on Valentine’s Day in nearby Parkland. The darkened ice was then illuminated with 17 circles of light, with a student’s name inside each one.
Luongo, a Parkland resident, gave an emotional statement about the bravery of those who lost their lives trying to save others and how inspiring the students have been coping with the tragedy.
Players from both teams stood for the ceremony, some wiping tears from their eyes.
It was the first home game for the Panthers since the tragedy. They had been on a road trip in Canada for the past 11 days.
Florida players will wear Marjory Stoneman Douglas logos on their helmets and MSD uniform patches for the remainder of the season.
The tribute was hosted by Panthers announcer Randy Moller.
NOTES: Capitals defenseman Michal Kempny, acquired from Chicago late Monday night, made his Washington debut. … The Panthers acquired forward Frank Vatrano from Boston for a third-round pick in this year’s draft. … RW Radim Vrbata was a healthy scratch for the eighth time in 11 games.
Capitals: Host the Buffalo Sabres on Saturday.
Panthers: Host the Pittsburgh Penguins on Saturday.
PARKLAND (CBSMiami) – Plans are moving forward to slowly reopen Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.
Teachers and staff members will return to the school on Friday.
On Sunday afternoon there will be a voluntary orientation for students and family members.
The Broward School District says that its goal is to resume classes on a modified schedule next Tuesday.
The question of when to return to school has been haunting Spanish teacher Alicia Blonde since the day of the shooting.
But on Friday, she and other teachers will face their fears and go back to school, the place they once called their second home.
“Our facility has been violated, our space has been violated,” Blonde said. “It’s not the same, I don’t think it’ll ever be the same.”
Teachers have been invited back for an 8 a.m. breakfast in the school’s cafeteria and can stay however long they want.
The purpose, Blonde says, is to get teachers together and start the healing process.
“Because I believe we’re Eagle strong,” she said when asked why she expects a large number of teachers to show up Friday. “We are positive, we are passionate, and proud to be Eagles and that is our motto and we will come back, I believe that 95% of us will be back there tomorrow.”
Blonde says for days after the shooting, her mind like many others, was filled with questions.
“Maybe I had dreamt it, you know after the first night, so I want to go back right away so maybe I’ll retire early,” she said.
While the pain and sorrow for what happened that afternoon on February 14th will never fully subside, Blonde says having her colleagues together again to lean on is a start.
“The hugging colleagues, you know I think it’s probably going to be harder when the kids come back,” Blonde said.
For that reason, Broward County Public Schools is giving the students an extra day to cope.
They’ll resume classes for a half day on Wednesday.
Until now, Blonde says she and other teachers have received a great amount of support not by counselors or law enforcement, but by their students.
On Sunday students can choose to go to the school, if they like, for a voluntary orientation from 3 to 6 p.m.
Counselors will be made available on site for students and teachers.
PALM BEACH (CBSMiami/AP) – New information continues to emerge about the teen suspect in the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting.
A sheriff’s office report says 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz was involved in a fight with the adult son of a woman he was staying with shortly after his mother died.
The Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office report says a deputy responded to the Lantana Cascade mobile home community in Lake Worth on Nov. 28.
The 22-year-old man there told the deputy that he tried to calm down 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz, who had been punching holes in walls and breaking objects. The man said Cruz hit him in the jaw, and the man hit Cruz back. He then tried to restrain Cruz, but the younger man got away.
The deputy found Cruz a short time later at a nearby park.
Cruz told the deputy he had been angry because he misplaced a photo of his recently deceased mother, and he apologized for losing his temper.
The other man told the deputy he didn’t want Cruz arrested.
He just wanted Cruz to calm down before coming home.
Audio of a 911 call regarding this incident can be heard below.
CBS Local — Instant Pot is telling owners of the kitchen appliance company’s Gem 65 8-in-1 Multicooker to stop using several models of the product. The company issued the warning after a “small number” of cookers reportedly overheated.
In a Facebook post, Instant Pot added that the problem was causing the underside of the multicooker to melt. “We believe the problem only affects batchcodes 1728, 1730, 1731, 1734, and 1746,” the company wrote.
Several Instant Pot users were reportedly frustrated with the company’s response to the problem. “There are countless people who have been waiting MONTHS since receiving this message as an email,” one person claimed before the company shut down the comments section of its post.
Instant Pot added that it is working with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) to replace the defective cookers. “While we’re glad that Instant Pot says it’s working with the CPSC, and has given some limited guidance to consumers, the company should do more,” Consumers Union policy analyst William Wallace told Consumer Reports. “It should pin down the problem, identify which products are affected, and clearly inform consumers about a remedy and what steps they should take to stay safe.”
CBS Local — An Alabama 6th-grader’s heartwarming gift to her teacher has gained national attention after the girl’s gesture was posted on Facebook.
Price Lawrence, a first-year teacher at Highlands Elementary in Huntsville, lost his father-in-law in mid-February and was reportedly worried about how the death would affect his wife. According to WHNT, Lawrence revealed the tragic incident to his students after the class noticed the new teacher wasn’t himself lately.
As Mr. Lawrence exchanged high fives with the students while they left for their next class, the teacher was handed a note and some change by the thoughtful student. “This is for your wife. I know it was real expensive when my daddy died and I don’t really want ice cream today anyways,” Lawrence says his pupil told him in a post which displayed three quarters and a handwritten letter.
The 6th-grader’s gift has already been shared on Facebook over 231,000 times and received 534,000 likes since being posted on Feb. 20. Social media users joined the teacher in praising the compassionate spirit of his student as 26,000 comments have flooded into Lawrence’s page. “Oh my god, in case you hadn’t cried yet today, you’re welcome,” one person wrote.
CBS Local — The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has officially started the clock on the end of net neutrality laws. In a Feb. 22 release, the agency sent out “final notice” that Obama-era rules governing equal distribution of the internet will be repealed in 60 days.
Net neutrality laws were created during the Obama administration and barred broadband companies from blocking access or slowing down the performance of certain websites and online services. The 2015 rules also made it illegal for internet providers to charge companies a fee in exchange for better access to customers.
The April 23 deadline is already drawing criticism and legal challenges from parties who believe net neutrality is needed to regulate fair use of the internet. “As a result of the mess the agency created, broadband providers will now have the power to block websites, throttle services, and censor online content,” Democratic FCC Commissioner Jessica Rosenworcel claimed in a statement obtained by The Hill. The Republican-led agency narrowly passed the repeal in December by a vote of 3-2.
Intellectual property law non-profit Public Knowledge said they would be filing one of several expected lawsuits against the FCC following the Feb. 22 announcement. “Despite the hard blow [FCC] Chairman [Ajit] Pai has dealt to the Open Internet, small businesses, and consumers, the fight for net neutrality continues,” the group’s senior counsel John Bergmayer said in a statement. “We are confident that the FCC’s illegal and procedurally flawed action will be rejected.”
Over 20 states have also filed petitions in the courts opposing the repeal of net neutrality. Chairman Pai had previously said that the FCC had been “micromanaging the internet” during the previous administration. Mr. Pai has argued that the rollback will spur more competition among internet service providers who will be motivated to offer more choice to their users.
CBS Local — Doctors in Japan made a startling discovery inside a woman who had been troubled with stomach pain and bloating. Surgeons found two surgical sponges that had been left in the patient for at least six years.
According to a Feb. 21 report in The New England Journal of Medicine, the 42-year-old woman went to doctors after experiencing bloating in her lower abdomen for three years. The patient, who had been through two C-sections after both her pregnancies, was given a CT scan which uncovered the two “hyperdense, stringy structures” near each of the mother’s hips.
Doctors reportedly believe that the sponges were left in the woman during one of the two C-sections, which were performed six and nine years ago. “The patient received two C-sections in the same gynecologic clinic,” Dr. Takeshi Kondo said, via CNN. “Although she met the surgeon and told him (about) the retained foreign bodies, the surgeon did not admit his mistake on the grounds of lack of clear proof.”
The 42-year-old’s symptoms quickly went away after the sponges were taken out. According to a 2013 medical review, the chance that a medical instrument is accidentally left inside a patient is between one-in-5,500 and one-in-18,760. The review also called such incidents a “never event,” meaning it should never take place during any operation.
CORAL SPRINGS (CBSMiami) – New information was revealed Thursday afternoon about the response to the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.
Overlooked in their massive and heroic response to the massacre at Stoneman Douglas, the Coral Springs Police chief Thursday called a news conference to set the record straight
“We did save lives that day, as tragic as it was,” said Coral Springs Police Chief Tony Pustizzi, giving first responders from his city their due.
Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School is just three miles from headquarters and Coral Springs Police and Fire were among the first to respond to the mass shooting on Valentine’s Day, February 14th.
Sargent Carla Kmiotek was at the front of the pack.
“There was a moment I had a little bit of self-acceptance that this could be a deadly, lethal situation and I came to terms with it because this is what I do for a living and I knew I had to go in there and do the best that I could to stop the bad guy if he was still in the building and just to start helping kids,” she said.
But in news conferences after the massacre, Coral Springs wasn’t mentioned.
That compelled the chief to send an email to staff last Friday which reads in part, “Another agency has given the impression that it provided the majority of rescue efforts and that Coral Springs has not been recognized. The truth will come out in time.”
Coral Springs Fire Rescue says they transported 14 shooting victims.
“Our paramedics, our SWAT paramedics, our police officers in Coral Springs and throughout the area were putting tourniquets on kids and putting chest seals on kids. The trauma surgeon said those kids wouldn’t be alive if it weren’t for those efforts,” said Mike Moser with Coral Springs Fire Rescue.
The chief also put to rest the rumors saying his officers were told to wait for BSO SWAT to arrive before they could go inside.
“I can tell you definitively no, we don’t do that,” Pustizzi said. “All our officers are trained the same way. We all do the same movements; we know how to aggressively go into a situation to save lives. That’s what our job is.”
The chief also made one other clarification.
There was surveillance video throughout the Stoneman Douglas campus and for a while, some of the tame was given to officers and it was not in real time, rather on a twenty minute delay.
As officers watched the shooter thinking he was still in the building, he had actually already exited the school.
Officers say that while this added to the confusion, it did not cause any additional loss of life.
PARKLAND(CBSMiami) — The armed and uniformed school resource officer in charge of taking care of the students at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, “never went in” to the building as the gunman opened fire.
That’s according to Broward Sheriff Scott Israel who said when he found out about that, he was left, “devastated, sick to my stomach, there are no words.”
The School Resource Officer identified as Scot Peterson has since resigned.
Sheriff Israel said that after reviewing surveillance tapes and talking to Peterson, he decided to suspend him without pay pending an internal affairs investigation but Peterson decided to resign.
When asked what Sheriff Israel saw Peterson doing in the surveillance video, he said ” nothing.”
“What I saw was a deputy arrive at the West side of building 12, take up a position and he never went in,” said Sheriff Israel.
He said at some point he got on his radio during the ordeal.
Israel said Peterson should have gone in and engaged the gunman who eventually took the lives of 17 people and injured more than a dozen.
The full press conference from Broward Sheriff’s Office headquarters can be seen below:
MIAMI (CBSMiami) – A judge ruled that the Miami Marlins breached their contract with the county when it came to the sale of the team.
Thursday morning was the first hearing in the legal drama after the country filed a lawsuit last week claiming that a 2009 agreement called for the county and city of Miami to get a share of the profits from the sale of the team.
Following the ruling, Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Gimenez took to social media to share his thoughts on the matter, saying,
“Today, the court ruled that the Marlins breached their contract and failed to provide the County with the detailed information regarding the County’s equity share that was required. I welcome the court’s decision and Jeffrey Loria must now comply with the ruling….Although it is the first step in what will be a longer process, today’s court decision is a positive one for the residents and taxpayers of Miami-Dade County.”
Now the lawsuit, filed Friday, is against former owner Jeffrey Loria and the new ownership group led by Derek Jeter and was related to an agreement that the county and city would finance the team’s ballpark that opened in 2012 and was built mostly with taxpayer money.
Loria bought the Marlins for $158.5 million in 2002 and sold the team to Jeter’s group last fall for $1.2 billion. Loria claimed a loss on the deal, which the county describes as “fuzzy math.”
Loria became wildly unpopular because of his frugal ownership, and the team has endured eight consecutive losing seasons.
Jeter’s group closed on its purchase of the team in October.
The former New York Yankees captain has about a 4 percent ownership stake and leads baseball and business operations as chief executive officer.