KravMaga - Practical Self defense for the common man or woman, with average fitness. Unlike Boxing, Karate, Judo, Aikido or Kalari which require years of training to acquire reasonable confidence, Krav Maga prepares you in a short duration for street reality.
Not All Heroes Wear Capes Compilation! - Fast Reaction Saves (Nearly Died) 2017 *NEW* - YouTube
Most of us with average intelligence, adequate skills can perform consistently at a socially acceptable satisfactory standard.
When that comfort zone is yanked away suddenly, confusing chaos and numbing shock slice through our senses into our inner core like a vicious stab of molten metal.
We have seen how people react in this crisis situation. Some become blubbering idiots. Some go into comatose shock. Some go in a blinding rage. Only some are calm and objective.So we infer, many are STUPID in a crisis. Only a few can be BRILLIANT under stress.
The scenario training with realistic visualization and familiarity building repetitions play a critical role in conditioning body and mind to function in a semi-automated state. This neuro-muscular zone of reaction cannot be achieved in short term.
The experienced trainer will not hand hold the trainee but force him to learn by constantly pushing their complacency thresholds, till the technique fails.
Preparing for REALITY
The first level of learning is to know how a technique works. The second level of learning is to know how a technique fails.
So, a trainee who has ... 1) repetitively trained to adapt for variations, 2) apply aggression with commitment - to address an issue to conclusion has more chances of reacting even in a semi-auto mind state with surprising BRILLIANCE! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Some related posts - GROSS MOTOR SKILLS vs FINE MOTOR SKILLS in Martial arts training
Recently, in Brazil, UFC Featherweight champs Maiqul Falcao and his training partner Kaue Mena was beaten up by a gang outside a gas station. Kaue Mena is now in critical condition at a hospital.
The video clearly shows Falcao hitting a girl unprovoked, which brings to the scene a gang of local youth. The gang vastly outnumbers these 2 UFC fighters and they proceed to make mincemeat of the fighters, with rods and merciless kicks to the head. So these heroes of the ring become pathetic zeroes on the street. What's the net take? What are the signs that differentiate a victim of his own Ego, Ignorance and Stupidity? What makes a guy a stupid street fighter?
Asking to be hit ?!
1) Tendency to initiate brawls Some people have a negative cloud hovering over their heads always. They keep on goading others by being rude, provoking and abusive. They get away with it when they are in dominant positions, inside their home or office cabin. But once outside the safety of their domains, they invite trouble, like flies to a sweet-shop.
Stress, Frustration and Anger can also worsen social interaction. But, from what I have noticed, Alcohol is a major catalyst of violent confrontations. Many years back, in my office there was a small diminutive guy - Madan. During the day time he was shy and soft spoken. But when he came to the office in the mornings, he will sport a black eye or random injuries. One day I happened to be beside him in an office party. He was sipping a drink and making small talk. Suddenly he took umbrage to something I said and jumped on me! Since I had been warned about Madan's metamorphosis, I managed to keep him at bay without getting offended. But, let me tell you, he was totally a different person, ugly and snarling! No wonder, strangers loved to smash his mug…hmm. Net take - Suicidal characters are Rude / Stressed / Frustrated / Turn into " The Hulk' after a few drinks! These guys should recognize and accept they have a serious problem. That's the first step away from becoming a walking 'Punching bag'.
2) Walking around like a thug, inviting unwanted attention Mc MarcYoung calls these puffed up Supermen as 'Beta' males.. They try to ape the 'Alpha' male, but fall short miserably. I often see some youngsters walk with their nose up and arms out sideways as if their lats are bulging. These prop-ups are more comical than intimidating. Some of my young trainees in KravMaga are also prone to puff up like this. I caution them that bullies enjoy puncturing their 'Beta' ego-balloons. Net take - Don't behave like an Alpha male when you don't have his kind of resources. Alphas are natural leaders and have a plan for escalations.
Couples searching for privacy often become victims
3) Getting into dangerous situations foolishly Recently my wife and me visited a temple near the Kalashetra beach. While walking back to the car she suggested “Let’s sit for sometime in the beach.” That stretch of beach is full of bushes, more frequented by men and women peddling sex and their customers, which she was not aware of; so I said “This beach is not safe and let’s go to Besant Nagar beach, which is just a few minutes’ drive away.” My wife started teasing me, that I am a coward in spite of being a KravMaga instructor, teaching police commandos! I replied “It’s wiser NOT to get into a problem, than get into a situation and struggle to solve it." What if 4 or 5 guys accost us and I get hit on the head by a stone from behind?! Net take - Avoid going to lonely or dangerous places, especially with dependents. If you can’t avoid, be extra vigilant. Better be prepared, with a strong deterrent.
4) Thinking backing-down-from-a-fight is unmanly When the opponent has a major tactical advantage like numbers, weapons or location, just bail out. Don't let your misplaced Ego stand between you and your safety. As one of my KravMaga instructors said, “Improve your position backwards." :) Say sorry and back out.. Or if it’s too late to cool the opponent's anger, just run. This is for an anger situation. In a crime situation, comply with the criminal, if what he needs is just money. It’s better common-sense to give away a few hundreds, than to spend thousands in a hospital.
The harsh reality is, most of us live in one particular social group… and being perceived as tough in that peer group, is highly misleading. Once the 'bad-ass' gets exposed in an alien environment, he will get his ass handed back to him, in so many different ways which his instructor was not aware of. Here is a classic example of complacency due to martial arts.(Video)
Net take - You are NOT exposed to mindless violence...and you are NOT trained to face that ugly violence inside most martial arts dojos.
So, DON'T BE A STUPID STREET FIGHTER! Common Sense, Politeness and Good Manners are better alternatives to stupid fighting. Period!
This is what I clarify upfront to those who step into my Chennai KravMaga self-defence class.
1. Violence is NOT an intelligent solution to your problems. In fact in most of the occasions violence worsens the problem more vehemently, beyond repair. So always start addressing issues with civilized, polite tactics. As someone observed "Most of the issues in this world is not due to the content of the argument, but more due to the tone of the argument."
2. World respects the Brain, while it only fears the Brawn As MGR advised the masses in one of Tamil movie song " Stop sharpening the Knife. Start sharpening your Mind." Too much of quality time spent on physical pursuits is a sign of misplaced priorities. Unless your profession depends on physical attributes don't spend more than 3 hours a week on physical past-times. Focus on the attributes which will make you a better professional or spend fun time with folks.
3. Violence is a double edged sword. It can cut both ways I come across lots of convicts when I go to the prison to train the warders. I found most of the convicts more moral and ethical than me. Then how did they end up as convicts! That few seconds of rage filled insanity can write-off the reputation and riches built over a life time.
That is why, even though I teach KravMaga , a straight-forward violent self-defense system without any cosmetics, I keep reminding myself and my students "Violence is the last solution. Use it as a deterrent after you exhaust softer options." ......................................................................................................
400 to 500 policemen become martyrs every year in India, in their line of duty. Today is the day we have to recall their ultimate sacrifice and spend a few moments pondering about the role of police in our lives. What is their role?
Hero or Villain Last year while in conversation with DGP about the deteriorating relationship of public and police, I told him " While driving to your office I saw posters of 5 different movies. In 3 of those the hero was a police officer! So, obviously there seems to be a grudging admiration for the men in khaki which is more visible in movies than on the streets!" The reason for this anomaly could be because the occasional interaction with a policeman for the public happens only when they are stopped for traffic crimes or when they become victims of a crime. Obviously, the common man never interacts with a policeman when life is smooth and normal; so, his mental association of police is "Oh my God, Problem"!
Sheep-Dog Syndrome Along with our 'Admiration of Power' enjoyed by the police, comes 'a Resentment of the Control' they have over us. Somewhere I read this is the Sheep-Dog Syndrome. The flock of sheep resent the constant control of the Sheep-Dog; but when the wolf appears on the scene the flock bleats desperately to be protected by the Sheep-Dog. Obviously, the men in khaki are doing a thankless job. Police don’t have an identified enemy like the military. Since their enemy is part of the community they live in, mutual suspicion and antagonism are guaranteed. That’s why the public which becomes vocal when police are on the wrong becomes indifferently silent when police do their job with efficient success.
The base of civilized society While addressing the local Management Association annual event I was facing some flak from the audience as someone who teaches violence to the police force, who are already pushing the limits of human rights' interpretation! My response was "You are all sitting relaxed in this 5-Star comfort for the entire day, without any anxiety or fear about the safety of your loved ones, your property and assets because you know there is a system taking care of those. That system is the law enforcement arm of the government. So be thankful for the police force, to whom you have outsourced doing violence on your behalf - 24 x 7 !" ................................................................. Policing and social media sousveillance Part III - The police & fake encounters - Tip of the iceberg