Calling all doggos, we need you! It's taken a while (and part of our soul) but finally our capsule collection of directional accessories for design-minded dogs and their parents is launching soon.
And now we need your help! We are seeking the most charismatic dogs to star in our first shoot that will take place in London at the end of August.
We are an egalitarian brand so we don't care what you look like (the funnier the better). However, given the size of our initial collection our focus is on smaller breeds (we can only accept mutts with neck size 20-29cm or 30-39cm).
If you think your pup has what it takes please drop us a line (including pic of your dog along with their neck size).
To be considered send a photo of your dog along with their neck size to firstname.lastname@example.org
When you're staging the wedding of the year everyone wants an invite. So how did Megs and Harry whittle the numbers down? Simple: dog-lovers only made the cut.Read on for our take on the top dogs of the Royal Wedding and the mutts that scored them an invite.
1. Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II - Harry's Corgi-loving Granny. As Top Dog she was in before she started but totes sealed the deal when she chauffered Meghan's dog, Guy to Windsor Castle. #Awww.
2. Charles and Camilla. Thanks to her rescue pups Beth and Bluebell, Camilla succeeded the Queen as Patron of Battersea's Berkshire Branch and earned her place on the list. Meghan loves a rescue. Charles is Harry's dad....invites in the bag!
3. Kate, Wills, George, Charlotte and Louis. Well, #obvs the Spaniel gets you in, though we haven't seen him in a while? Was he traded for your second born? #WheresLupo
4. Bea and Eugenie we know you're too busy to be tied down by a mutt. Exception made and invites granted in exchange for the promise of spectacular headwear. Disappointed girls. You let us down. #BiggerHatsNextTime
5. Oprah. (The other type of) Queen and consummate dog mom. Would have been nice if you'd scored a plus one (for your pups). The chapel was small. Don't take it personally.
6. VB. Fashion Hound and dog mum. Next time bring your mutt not your man. We guarantee it will make you look a whole lot more chipper. #ItsAWeddingNotAFuneral
7. Tom Hardy. #Obvs.
8. Serena Williams. Mutt mom and tennis hound. In like Flynn!
9. Idris Elba, actor, dog-lover and DJ at the the Royal After Party. Triple threat. Straight to the Top of the list!
10. And finally...George and Amal. The hottest dog-lovers on the guest list or even the Planet. Without question.
A retrospective of the genius couturier & lover of dogs comes to London's Design Museum
It all started in the '90s.
I returned to school from summer holidays oblivious to the fact that I now inched a full foot above my peers. (Un)fortunately both teachers and classmates were there to remind me. Hell for an insecure and gangly 14 year-old.
I'd always been shy but I'd always loved fashion - pages from fashion magazines adorned my walls as opposed to the layered bangs of Jon Bon Jovi or the strategically ripped jeans and peroxided coiffes of Brit Doppelgangers Bros.
And as I shot up so grew a lifetime love-in with the Super Models of the fashion world and those who loved them. Perhaps not healthy, but weirdly the Glamazons of the nineties made me feel a little more normal. I looked nothing like them but felt better that they were championing a "tall is good" scenario, rather than the "you're way to big to find a boyfriend" that I felt when headlining above my classmates.
And so I digress before even starting. Azzedine Alaia: The Couturier opens tomorrow at the Design Museum. His frocks define the era. Christy, Naomi, Cindy, Claudia, Helena, Kate...they were my 90s heroes and Alaia was their champion. He also loved dogs. And despite his Lilliputian stature: big ones to boot.
While I have reached an age where I've booked tickets to this show in the hope that there will be dogs (that Super perfection is more than I can handle these days - body imagery self-love not half assuaged!) I cannot wait to visit the work of this pint-sized genius who made the Supers spectacular and who wasn't afraid to love a big girl or mutt.
Book your ticket at the Design Museum. It'll be the first time this year you're genuinely happy to see the Nineties come back. RIP M. Alaia. #Alaia2018 #ILikeBigMuttsAndICannotLie
Exhibition Information Azzedine Alaia: the Couturier 10-7 October, 2017 The Design Museum
What to Expect "Conceived and co-curated with Monsieur Alaïa before his death in November 2017, the exhibition charts his incredible journey from sculptor to couturier, his nonconformist nature and his infectious energy for fashion, friendship and the female body.
Unlike many of his contemporaries, Alaïa personally constructed each garment by hand and refused to bow to the pressures of fashion week deadlines, instead working to his own schedule. His collaborative approach earned him an esteemed client list, including Greta Garbo, Grace Jones, Michelle Obama and Rihanna.
Rather than a retrospective, the show interlaces stories of his life and career alongside personally selected garments, ranging from the rare to the iconic and spanning the early 1980s to his most recent collection in 2017." (Design Museum)
Azzedine Alaia, Mutts and Model, shot by Arthur Elgort for Vogue, 1986.
In celebration of the Chinese Lunar New Year (of the Dog - no less) Growlmama fave Dover Street Market has today launched a limited collection of 30+ doggo-inspired tees designed by a selection of their friends and collaborators. Available online at all Dover Street Market locations. We Love.
'Tis the season for mutt and mama couple-dressing. Read on for a round-up of our favourite looks.
From the Dog Trouser Company the trews that will make your Growlmama happy: slide into these puppies, run, roll and wallow and return straight to the sofa. For humans from Vetements a trouser that is equally practical. Remove trainers. Add heels. Glide seamlessy from dog-park to dinner.
Denim-loving dogs get your paws on this raw blue rocker from Aussie brand Pethaus. Denim-loving Growlmamas wrap up an human equivalent, like this one by Vetements x Levis for example.
Twin lumberjack-style in the Buffalo plaid sweater by Alqo Wasi (the alpaca dog knit that supports vulnerable women in Peru) and this steal of a doppelganger from Suncoo at Asos.
Take twinning to extremes thanks to Moncler: the Puff-Daddy of puffer-makers has added coats for doggos to its human collection. Shop the “Mondog,” in black, dark blue, dark green, red and orange then fetch yourself "the Akebia" - it's human best friend.
A little while back we shared with you a fab exhibition at Surrey gallery McAllister Thomas Fine Art - Hooray for Hollywood: dogs and nudes (we blush) imagined by Robert James Clarke...and now we have more great news from this prolific painter of pups.
In a gesture of pre-Christmas spirit Clarke, who's captured many a celebrity mutt - Kate Moss's Archie, Alan Carr's Bev and Joyce and Fergie's (musician not ex-Royal) and Meatloaf's canine pals (we name drop a little) - is offering you his beautiful bespoke pup-traits at half price (sans nude we might add... unless you fancy that).
Trained in London at the esteemed Central St Martins, Clarke's style is unique “I try to capture the essence of the dog. […] Each dog has a different personality: I try to capture that in paint. […] Sometimes it all comes together like magic: other times, it’s the smallest detail like adding a dot to the eye that makes the dog spring from the canvas.” And we can personally attest to this: Clarke's illustration of our dog muse Frida (see below) was spot on - capturing her likeness and spirit to perfection. It's an illustration we will treasure always.
But we digress, this incredible offer runs for four days only, and there are only so many orders Clarke can fill in time for the holidays, so be quick! What better way to treat your pup or their Growlmama. We love.
The recent London opening of "Boom for Real": an exhibition of 100+ works of 80s art prodigy Jean-Michel Basquiat appears to have spawned a new wave of Basquiat-inspired stuff - from tattoos to trainers to towels it's all there.
This Growlmama Loves we curate our top picks of the trend for both you and your mutt.
Art hound or not, we know you'll be smitten.
Clockwise from top left: 1. Nail it on walkies in these Basquiat kicks from Browns. Low and high-tops both now in store as part of their limited edition JMB capsule collection.
4. Pimp your pup's crib with a Basquiat pillow by 3buu artshop on Etsy.
5. Twin with your pup in some more kit from Browns launched in limited numbers to celebrate Basquiat's first UK exhibition. Pictured Rome Pays Off 5 pocket jeans (but there's a whole lot more stuff in this fab collection). We quite fancy the JMB skateboard (to hang on our wall).
6. Wrap up your mutt with a JMB throw by Everyday Monster at Society 6. Available in both black and white, your mutt will love it but if they are like our muse please choose the black.
7.Lovers of ink, art (and dogs of course), tag yourself with JMB's signature crown (which we can't help but notice resembles our dog muse's prominent gnashers). Prefer something more obviously doggy? Mix up your ink with a Basquiat contemporary: read Haring hound or Warhol woof.
8. And finally... rather ink up your walls than yours truly? Then wrap yourself up a real JMB. While many are replete with doggy motifs, the trick is to find one you can actually afford....We picked the derivative Bansky (pictured top and below) which appeared outside the Barbican on the launch of the show. Worth a look and a dog-selfie (especially if your pup has the same teef).
Since the April release of Balenciaga's Arena bag: a £1700 electric blue tote bearing a striking resemblance to IKEA's 40p iconic FRAKTA (pictured above right and selling on Ebay for £3.50 (if you can't be bothered to make the trek to the store), we've seen the evolution of a tonne of FRAKTA knock-offs and now some serious collabs (check out IKEA x Off White).
So this week we bring you the best of the IKEA Frakta trend - for your and your mutt! Before you time out, please note we've spared you the Frakta thong and bra!
3. I'm afraid we have no idea who did this. We've tried everywhere to track this down. The ultimate Frakta for picking up dog poop. Drop us a line if you have a clue!
4. Own a dog in the city and you will soon learn that a bumbag/ fanny pack (if you come from the US) is the best accessory to come out of the 90s...or was it 80s? We don't really care. Thank you @funkytowninc for this Frakta version - the cheapest and most functional kit for every Growlmama. Only £16 on Etsy and still super stylsih. We love!
5. This doggy raincoat by this gorgeous pug. Waterproof and on trend. We salute you handsome pup and apologise that we can't credit your style. Please get in touch if this is you. Hats off to your Growlmama for this stylish coat. If we could sew we'd ask for the pattern...
An accomplished artist and prolific drawer of dogs who has worked on huge campaigns and one of our all time favourite fashion brands Isabel Marant no less, we were beside ourselves when Walter said yes.
But our cheek did not stop there! Buoyed by the incredible response to Walter's gorgeous pups on our packaging, we were silly enough to ask if he'd collaborate with us on some t-shirts. And....punches air...he agreed!
So, it's with great excitement we bring you our very first collaboration - Growlees x Walter Glassof - 7 statement unisex t-shirts in two colour ways and two styles that bring our best-selling Growlees collar charms to life! You and your dog can thank us later.
Since we worship Beige and Grey Marle this is a bit out of the park but it would be impossible to celebrate Spring without a touch of colour, not to mention the launch of our new #hotpink Growlees dog tags!