Loading...

Follow Kendra's Minis on Feedspot

Continue with Google
Continue with Facebook
or

Valid

This is the fourth in a series of blogs describing a kitchen project.  The first blog started in March (click the archive link at the side to go back). Two blogs ago, I shared a method of simulating carving using nail jewels, wood scraps and hand fan blades (for link click here). In this blog I will share my favorite technique for faux-finishing – using embossed gold foil shapes to simulate
  • Show original
  • .
  • Share
  • .
  • Favorite
  • .
  • Email
  • .
  • Add Tags 

Continued from the previous blog where we left off having primed the embellished cabinet doors with Gesso...Above is a photo of what the cabinets will look like at the end of this post. The antique pine finish is made with acrylic paint and an "antiquing glaze" product which is usually sold in the same type/size bottles as the acrylic bottled paint.  Look for antiquing glaze products in the
  • Show original
  • .
  • Share
  • .
  • Favorite
  • .
  • Email
  • .
  • Add Tags 

My goal for this kitchen project was to simulate the finish in the photo above, an antique French pine look. The photo is a magazine clipping of a cabinet.  Below the photo are my trial and error paint attempts to mimic the French pine colors. (paint finish will be covered in the next blog).  What is harder to see in the photo are the carved trim details. In this blog I will explain how I
  • Show original
  • .
  • Share
  • .
  • Favorite
  • .
  • Email
  • .
  • Add Tags 

Each year, our organization, Society of American Miniaturists (SAM), holds an all-day workshop.  In February, 2018 it was a mini-kitchen room with the theme Lil’ Bit o’ Kitchen.  The room outer structure (walls, floor and ceiling) was about 10 x 10 x 3 inches and made of gatorboard.  When constructed it fit into a 10 x 10 inch picture frame. Here is a photo of the blank prototype: Basic
  • Show original
  • .
  • Share
  • .
  • Favorite
  • .
  • Email
  • .
  • Add Tags 

As promised, here is the rest of the project to make Salt and Pepper Grinders.  Last blog gave instructions for how to remove the paint. Supplies: plastic baby bottles (shower favors – Hobby Lobby) “salt” – Wilton Cookie Sticks (looks better) or white acrylic paint (less work) “pepper” – black acrylic paint silver flat sequins (party confetti) tiny silver beads, I used cylindrical 15/0
  • Show original
  • .
  • Share
  • .
  • Favorite
  • .
  • Email
  • .
  • Add Tags 

  Here is a project that will take a couple of blogs to finish.  I will begin with how to remove paint from plastic baby bottles (party favors).  Then in the next blog I will tell how to make the grinders. I thought these baby bottles from Hobby Lobby looked just like salt and pepper grinders.  Problem was the pink paint!  I had to make 100 sets for an event (that’s 200 total!) so I needed
  • Show original
  • .
  • Share
  • .
  • Favorite
  • .
  • Email
  • .
  • Add Tags 

This is the last installment of the "Dome Project".  This entire year, a total of 8 blogs for 2018, has been dedicated to tutorials from the two sided "Dome of My Own" club project - another SAM (Society of American Miniaturists) day long project (see links to join).  Next time (2019) I will have a new project to describe. 1/144 Scale dollhouse, “Patricia House” and Book Review, Mott Miniature
  • Show original
  • .
  • Share
  • .
  • Favorite
  • .
  • Email
  • .
  • Add Tags 

Almost done with the Dome project.  I have another group of related projects that I am excited to start when I have wrapped this up.   Below is a tutorial on making the silk bolster cushion on the couch.  Next blog I will describe how I made the 1/144 scale dollhouse in the window behind the loveseat. This project involves a little hand sewing (but not much!).  You will need: Small piece of
  • Show original
  • .
  • Share
  • .
  • Favorite
  • .
  • Email
  • .
  • Add Tags 

More about the two sided dome project.  I won a blue ribbon at a S.A.M. (Society of American Miniaturists) event for this project (there were only 7 entries so good odds!).  In this blog I will describe the rest of the items in this side of the dome including the desk.  The painted rug, window shades and slipcovered chair were covered in previous blogs. The desk is a modified Robin Betterley
  • Show original
  • .
  • Share
  • .
  • Favorite
  • .
  • Email
  • .
  • Add Tags 

Separate tags by commas
To access this feature, please upgrade your account.
Start your free month
Free Preview