Loading...

Follow Daily Finland on Feedspot

Continue with Google
Continue with Facebook
or

Valid
Macron pledges strong response to "Yellow Vest" protestDF-Xinhua Report

French President Emmanuel Macron has vowed to take "strong decisions" to prevent weekly "Yellow Vest" protests from turning violent after rioters ran amok across Paris on Saturday.     "I want us to very precisely analyze things and as quickly as possible take strong, complementary decisions so this doesn't happen again," the president told ministers late on Saturday.     "We are attached to constitutional rights, but we've got people who through all means quite simply want to make a wreck of the republic, to break things and destroy, running the risk of getting people killed," Macron explained.     Saturday's violent protest forced the French president to cut short a weekend ski trip in the Pyrenees to chair a crisis meeting with ministers on Saturday night after groups of masked individuals, identified as far-left Black Blocs, plunged the capital's landmark avenue into chaos.      Anti-riot officers fired stun grenades, tear gas and water cannons at "ultra violent" rioters who torched cars and buildings, looted clothing shops, smashed windows of boutiques in the capital's fanciest shopping districts.     In Paris, police said they had detained almost 280 people, while 60 were injured, including 17 members of the security forces.     It was the latest in a series of weekly demonstrations, coordinated by "Yellow Vest," a spontaneous movement that began in November 2018 against dwindling purchasing power.      The latest protest which organizers called as an "ultimatum" to Macron drew 32,300 participants, compared with 28,600 numbered last week, but far below the turnout of 287,710 participants reported at its start.      It also marked the end of the national consultations with which the 41-year-old president tried to head off the social uprising.     Started on Jan. 15, long debates in city halls across French cities and a marathon of meetings with citizens in rural areas seemed helping France's youngest head of state in modern history to improve his score and appease discontent people, according to the country's pollsters.

However, renewed violence in the movement's 18th action in a row, cast doubt on his political craftiness to quell public anger, suggesting that the end of the showdown between the government and some determined "Yellow Vest" protestors is not near.  

© DAILY FINLAND Developed by : orangebd
Read Full Article
  • Show original
  • .
  • Share
  • .
  • Favorite
  • .
  • Email
  • .
  • Add Tags 
Venezuela launches drills to protect public servicesDF-Xinhua Report

Venezuela on Saturday launched civic-military exercises to protect the nation's public services in the wake of a recent purported sabotage of the electricity system.

"The Comprehensive Action Exercises begin to protect the nation's strategic public services," President Nicolas Maduro tweeted.

"We will not allow the enemies of the state to once again rob the heroic Venezuelan people of their tranquility," he added.     The exercises aimed "to perfect the people's organization," and "deploy all our forces" to prevent further attacks on the power grid or water distribution network, Maduro said.     Among the tasks to be carried out was "maintenance," such as bolstering communications between the different supply stations, the president said.     Electricity went off in many parts of the country on March 7 and schools and government offices were shut down in the aftermath. The worst blackout in modern Venezuelan history came amid heightened tensions between the ruling socialist party and the right-wing opposition.     Maduro on Tuesday declared victory after his government succeeded in restoring electricity following a prolonged blackout.  

© DAILY FINLAND Developed by : orangebd
Read Full Article
  • Show original
  • .
  • Share
  • .
  • Favorite
  • .
  • Email
  • .
  • Add Tags 
New Zealand airport closed following report of suspicious packageDF-Xinhua Report

New Zealand police confirmed Sunday that Dunedin Airport has been closed after a suspicious package was reported there.     At 9:55 p.m. local time, the airport received report of a suspicious package on the airfield, and police and specialists were now at the scene to determine the nature of the package.     The report of the suspicious package came two days after the terror attacks on two mosques in New Zealand's Christchurch, which have left 50 people dead and 50 others injured.  

© DAILY FINLAND Developed by : orangebd
Read Full Article
  • Show original
  • .
  • Share
  • .
  • Favorite
  • .
  • Email
  • .
  • Add Tags 
Bottas wins Australia GP for MercedesDF-Xinhua Report

Mercedes team Formula One driver Valtteri Bottas won his first champion in the Australian Grand Prix held in Melbourne on Sunday afternoon.

"Everything felt so good, I had everything under control and it was so good today. I'm going to enjoy today," said the 28-year-old Finn after beating his teammate and pole-sitter Lewis Hamilton by 20.886 seconds.     It was the fourth time in as many years that Hamilton has taken pole position in Australia only to finish second.     Bottas rocketed out of his grid slot to head Hamilton by the time they reached Turn 1 and kept the advantage till end of the game. Melbourne's emphatic victory witnessed his fourth F1 winning since he joined the Mercedes in 2017. He also claimed a bonus point for the fastest lap of the race to come away from Albert Park with a full 26 points.     Red Bull's Max Verstappen rushed to the third, the first time for him to standing on the podium at Albert Park. It is also the first time that a non-Mercedes or Ferrari driver has appeared on the podium since 2015.     Ferrari were forced to play third best in Melbourne with defending champion Sebastian Vettel and Charles Leclerc only ranked fourth and fifth respectively.     Carlos Sainz failed to score in Melbourne for the first time in his career on his McLaren debut due to engine fire. Local favorite Daniel Ricciardo on Renault debut went off the track just seconds after the start and had to go to the pits for a first stop. The team retired him with a suspected issue later on.  

© DAILY FINLAND Developed by : orangebd
Read Full Article
  • Show original
  • .
  • Share
  • .
  • Favorite
  • .
  • Email
  • .
  • Add Tags 
Valtteri Bottas wins Australia GP for MercedesSportsDF-Xinhua Report

Mercedes team Formula One driver Valtteri Bottas won his first champion in the Australian Grand Prix held in Melbourne on Sunday afternoon.

"Everything felt so good, I had everything under control and it was so good today. I'm going to enjoy today," said the 28-year-old Finn after beating his teammate and pole-sitter Lewis Hamilton by 20.886 seconds.     It was the fourth time in as many years that Hamilton has taken pole position in Australia only to finish second.     Bottas rocketed out of his grid slot to head Hamilton by the time they reached Turn 1 and kept the advantage till end of the game. Melbourne's emphatic victory witnessed his fourth F1 winning since he joined the Mercedes in 2017. He also claimed a bonus point for the fastest lap of the race to come away from Albert Park with a full 26 points.     Red Bull's Max Verstappen rushed to the third, the first time for him to standing on the podium at Albert Park. It is also the first time that a non-Mercedes or Ferrari driver has appeared on the podium since 2015.     Ferrari were forced to play third best in Melbourne with defending champion Sebastian Vettel and Charles Leclerc only ranked fourth and fifth respectively.     Carlos Sainz failed to score in Melbourne for the first time in his career on his McLaren debut due to engine fire. Local favorite Daniel Ricciardo on Renault debut went off the track just seconds after the start and had to go to the pits for a first stop. The team retired him with a suspected issue later on.  

© DAILY FINLAND Developed by : orangebd
Read Full Article
  • Show original
  • .
  • Share
  • .
  • Favorite
  • .
  • Email
  • .
  • Add Tags 
Poor driving conditions in most parts of the countryDF Report

Motorists have been advised to take precaution today and on Monday due to poor driving conditions in most parts of the country, reported national broadcaster Yle.

Today, however, driving conditions is still normal in most parts of the country except in northern Ostrobothnia and southern Lapland.

The Finnish Meteorologist Institute (FMI) has issued poor driving condition warning for the whole country with the exception of northern most part of Lapland.

A quite strong low pressure is currently hovering over Scandinavia on its way to Finland and it will reach the southwest coast in the afternoon, said Yle meteorologist Matti Huutonen.

In the evening, rainfall area will spread to the south and the west causing the roads to become bad or worse, said Huutonen.

Rains or sleet are forecast while in the north sleet or snowfall is forecast.

Monday, however, promises more showers.

© DAILY FINLAND Developed by : orangebd
Read Full Article
  • Show original
  • .
  • Share
  • .
  • Favorite
  • .
  • Email
  • .
  • Add Tags 
Man arrested in suspicion of rape in Sweden-Finland ferryDF Report

A 50-year old man was arrested on suspicion of raping a woman on ferry on Friday night, reported Finnish language tabloid Iltalehti.

The Swedish police are investigating the incident which happened on the Silja Galaxy ferry, said the Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet.

The suspected rape is said to have taken place on Friday night when the ferry was heading to Finland from Sweden.

The suspect was handed over to the Swedish upon the arrival of the ferry in Sweden on Sunday.

The incident was reported by the victim.

© DAILY FINLAND Developed by : orangebd
Read Full Article
  • Show original
  • .
  • Share
  • .
  • Favorite
  • .
  • Email
  • .
  • Add Tags 
Bottas places 3rd, Hamilton takes pole positionSportsDF-Xinhua Report

Lewis Hamilton of Mercedes took the Australian Grand Prix pole from his teammate Finnish driver Valtteri Bottas with a new track record in the qualifying held on Saturday afternoon.

Hamilton clocked the lap record of Albert Park with a one minute and 20.486 seconds, and recorded his sixth consecutive pole at the circuit and a record-equaling eighth at the Australian Grand Prix. Hamilton also won every practice session before entering the qualifying.

   Sebastian Vettel from Ferrari, who enjoyed victory in Australia for the past two years, qualified in third, 0.704 seconds behind the five-time world champion. His teammate Charles Leclerc ranked fifth, narrowly after Max Verstappen from the Red Bull.

   Robert Kubica, who just returned to F1 eight years after suffering severe injuries in a rally crash, suffered a puncture at end of Q1 and were out with his Williams teammate George Russell.

   Land Norris successfully entered the Q3 in his first ever F1 qualifying session while his McLaren teammate Carlos Sainz dropped out in Q1.

   Local favorite Daniel Ricciardo finished up in the 12th in Q2 and was unable to make it into Q3 on his first qualifying outing for Renault.

© DAILY FINLAND Developed by : orangebd
Read Full Article
  • Show original
  • .
  • Share
  • .
  • Favorite
  • .
  • Email
  • .
  • Add Tags 
Victim bodies of NZ mosque attacks to be returned to families: PMWorldwideDF-Xinhua Report

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said on Sunday that the bodies of those killed in terror attacks on two Christchurch mosques were being returned to their families but only a small number at this stage.

   She expected that all the bodies would be returned to families by Wednesday.

   The suspect Brenton Tarrant was being held in a high-security facility, Ardern told a press conference.

   There would be an increased police presence in Christchurch, the country's second largest city on Monday, with an extra 120 officers, she said, adding all mosques would be guarded by the police.

   Specialist teams would be at Christchurch schools and early learning centers, and support lines were also available to anyone who needed it, Ardern said.

   The parliament would also pay tribute to the victims on Tuesday.

   Ardern paid tribute to police, hospitals, first responders and teachers following the mass shootings.

   The prime minister said she would not stop the sales and advertising of firearms as suggested by academics, but she reiterated that there would be changes to the country's gun laws.

   Ardern confirmed her office was one of more than 30 that received an email from the suspected shooter nine minutes before the attack took place, saying "it did not include a location, it did not include specific details."

   The prime minister said she had sought advice on the possibility of the suspected gunman being deported, adding charges and the trial itself would absolutely be conducted in New Zealand.

   A gunman stormed two mosques in Christchurch on Friday afternoon, killing at least 50 people and wounding 50 others.

© DAILY FINLAND Developed by : orangebd
Read Full Article
  • Show original
  • .
  • Share
  • .
  • Favorite
  • .
  • Email
  • .
  • Add Tags 
63 killed after flash floods strike eastern IndonesiaWorldwideDF-Xinhua Report

Sixty-three bodies have been retrieved after flash floods hit Indonesia's easternmost Papua province on Saturday night, and a search and rescue operation is still ongoing for dozens still missing, a rescue team member said on Sunday.

   The flash floods, triggered by torrential rains, destroyed buildings, bridges and other infrastructure facilities, Cory Simbolon, head of the emergency unit of the provincial disaster management agency, told Xinhua.

   So far scores of villagers including a baby have been rescued, of whom 21 suffered serious injuries, Yadi Yanto, spokesman of the provincial search and rescue office, said.

   Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, spokesman of the National Disaster Management Agency, said the number of those injured stood at 59.

   All of them have been rushed to nearby hospitals for treatment, the spokesman told Xinhua in a text message.

   According to the emergency unit of the provincial disaster agency, the disaster occurred around 18:00 p.m. local time, forcing over 3,000 people to flee home for safe places.

   Spokesman Sutopo said relief efforts have been undertaken, involving soldiers, police, volunteers, among others. Some supplies have been distributed to the affected people and a joint post command will be set up, he added.

   Indonesia is frequently hit by floods and landslides during heavy rains.

© DAILY FINLAND Developed by : orangebd
Read Full Article

Read for later

Articles marked as Favorite are saved for later viewing.
close
  • Show original
  • .
  • Share
  • .
  • Favorite
  • .
  • Email
  • .
  • Add Tags 

Separate tags by commas
To access this feature, please upgrade your account.
Start your free month
Free Preview