Sleep late, knit, spend the afternoon and evening with the kids … that’s how my days are going. I’m finding the Lee/Grant biography very interesting listening and as a result, my knitting is progressing well. Also, when I have company in the house, I find it easier to pick up and put down knitting rather than getting involved in a project in the sewing room.
As you can see, Finn enjoys knitting time too!
As I thought, the color change between the brown and green is more subtle than I’d like but I’ll still get a multicolored effect once I move into the “lava” portion of the skein.
I finished the Yowza shawl and was making progress on the diagonal blanket, but decided to cast on another project today. I like the idea of cowl’s more than I like wearing them but I thought I’d give it another shot … I saw this pattern on Ravelry
And decided that I’d try it in one of my color changing Wolle’s yarns … it’s cotton so I should get some wear out if it if I decide to keep it for myself. I was looking for a skein that went from dark to light from the center (most of my skeins go from light to dark) because I prefer to pull from the center. This colorway is called Pomme. I think the green is a little more blendy with the brown in real life so we’ll see how it goes.
Not a lot of change from last week, the tumbler is quilted and trimmed, waiting for binding, one of the coins quilts is over on the table being set up for pin basting, and the leftovers from the 16 patch quilt are assembled. I’ve been sick since Monday afternoon with a cold and really all I want to do is sit and knit so even a little progress is good.
People ask me what size I make my doll quilts and it varies … the small coins quilt is on the smallest end of the range at 17×20, the twisted Pinwheels are about 22 inches square, the RWB is 24×28, and the new one is 22×28. My goal is to use up as much of the leftovers as I can and in this case, I kept adding pieces to the side and bottom until I had used everything but the two squares on the right. This one will get some crosshatching like the RWB one.
Simple quilting on this little tumbler doll quilt. Once again, these were leftover pieces from a larger quilt and I quilted it using the edge of the walking foot, zigzagging back and forth along the seam lines. I thought I’d get something loaded and quilted on the longarm this week but I underestimated the amount of time I’d have in the sewing room. Keith is out of town and Finn needs more attention than usual after boarding AND I’ve got company coming tomorrow so this one will count as my top for “stay at home” week #8.
I use the app TouchDraw on the iPad to draft a lot of my quilts… I also use it to quickly capture and save an idea for later. I love Orange Peel quilts and have a GO die that I haven’t used. I’m not a big fan of appliqué although I do like doing some hand appliqué at times but an Orange Peel quilt would take a lot of appliqué. A quick google images search comes up with lots of variations….
But today I saw an idea that made me think more of Cathedral Windows Quilts. Instead of using a plain square, the orange peels could be appliquéd on half square triangles and you’d need just half the number. A quick TouchDraw draft and the idea is saved for later. In this case, I think I could use my 6 inch HST die along with the Orange Peel die. (Don’t worry about the gaps in the flower centers … I didn’t have a shape in TouchDraw with pointy tips like the Orange Peel die has.)
I’m not sure I’ll have any time for sewing today – got to do laundry and pack – but if I do, I might start the quilting on the little tumbler doll quilt.