The Beauty Junkee is a blog and community for Filipinas and women from all over the world who love makeup, skin care, perfume, and all sorts of beauty products. All the classic product and latest trends, you will find here!
A little break from all that beauty blogging because as a video streaming service fanatic, this is great news for me and I'm sure it is for you as well!
Nadine Lustre for HOOQ
Cable T.V.? What's that?!
Since the dawn of alternative television such as Netflix, I've never sat down to watch t.v.; in fact, I don't have a t.v. at home because I'm fine with my laptop/smartphone and video streaming sites. There's just so much more possibilities and open- minded shows on the Internet than television that's why I stopped watching, although I still enjoy a few t.v. shows and movies on the streaming sites that I patronize.
Video streaming comes at a cost though, but thank goodness for streaming companies like HOOQ, they're finally making streaming free with HOOQ FREE.
Starting this month, I'll be highlighting a certain skin care ingredient every week and recommend products powered by it. This is a great way for all of us to get to know the active ingredients that go into our products and find out whether they're great for us or not.
First ingredient in our list is from the tree of life, COCONUT!
Tatcha The Silk Canvas Primer review, price, demo.
PRICE: 52USD (approximately P2,700+)
FROM: Sephora, Fashion Valley San Diego, California, USA
OTHER LOCATIONS: Available at select Sephora locations; sephora.com; tatcha.com
Tatcha is one of the luxury beauty products that have always been on my must- try list; because anything with gorgeous packaging, I love and it's products are inspired by ancient Japanese beauty rituals made modern (anything Japanese beauty excites me because in the span of my beauty blogging career, I've proven that their products are one of the most effective and worth investing in), plus it has a slew of celebrity following including Meghan Markle.
I picked up one of their famous products, The Silk Canvas Protective Primer; wasn't expecting a lot except that it's an expensive primer, but man, to use is to believe; this gives my makeup an unbelievably smooth look! I'm hooked!
Huda Beauty Lashes Shortie 18 by Olivia Culpo review, demo
PRICE: Around P1,200+
OTHER LOCATIONS: Available at sephora.ph
Huda Beauty came out with lashes first and it's what catapulted her brand to stardom; she came out at a perfect time when Instagram makeup look was a thing and eye makeup was never complete without a pair of dramatic eyelashes.
I finally got my first pair of Huda Beauty Lashes and I'd say it's the perfect dramatic lashes for Filipina eyes!
When I got back from the US, I received lots of amazing goodies, most especially in the skin care and hair care department and I've gathered them for you in this mega Beauty Bulletin post; do share with me the ones that you'd like to try, stat!
Pixi's best- selling Glow Tonic has expanded into an awesome range that includes the new Glow Tonic Cleansing Gel and Glow Tonic Serum; if you are encountering serious problems with dullness, roughness, lack of glow, and even moderate acne, try acid exfoliation and Pixi's mild yet effective range is great for you, especially if you are starting with your acid journey.
Follow up your routine with Pixi Balancing Moisturizer that aims to neutralize skin with its pH- friendly formula; great to be used right after exfoliation and washing! Finally, seal in the moisture with On The Glow moisturizing stick in a travel- friendly stick format.
Visit PIXI PHILIPPINES on Facebook for more information about these products.
Bed Head Dumb Blonde Purple Shampoo and Colour Goddess Hair Mask review.
PRICE: Shampoo- P1,800; Mask- P2,000
FROM: Vivere Salon, Glorietta 1
OTHER LOCATIONS: Available in leading hair salons around the metro
I've never sported blonde hair before until 3 months ago. Well, it's not totally blonde, but there are so much blonde streaks that on a certain angle, my hair looks almost blonde.
My hair stylist at Vivere was very nice; as usual, she tried to sell me products; but what I liked about her style is she explained the benefits and left it to me to decide whether I'll buy post- care products or not. In the end, I bought because I wanted to reward her effort for genuinely knowing what she's talking about and selling; nothing irks me more than a sales lady who keeps on selling stuff, but doesn't know what they're talking about.
She suggested a purple shampoo to keep my blonde highlights blonde for a length of time and hair mask to keep my hair from looking frizzy because she said eventually, highlights will turn brassy, which contributes to frizzy, dry- looking hair. Good thing I bought this duo form Bed Head called Dumb Blonde Purple Shampoo and Colour Goddess Hair Mask; it's been 5 months since I got these blonde highlights and they're still looking blonde; this duo is perfect for long- lasting, healthy blonde hair!
I got inspired to write this article after my recent makeup spring cleaning, which I do twice a year. I realized that I have a couple of luxury beauty products in the bin; makes me wish I didn't buy them in the first place.
Now here's a list of luxury beauty products that didn't work for me; that I wish I didn't buy or how I wish I knew that they won't eventually work for me...so I could've bought something else or saved my money.
I think this may be the most expensive brush set I have ever owned and what makes me proud is this is from a Filipino brand! As you may know, I've been quite into Macynn Cosmetics lately and this is one of my favorites from their line, Macynn Dream Set Premium Makeup Brush Set; the powder brushes in this set allow me to layer on different sorts of powder and yet still achieve an airbrushed finish!
I've tried so many brow products in my life, from high end to dirt cheap. By preference, I would go for the expensive ones because the formula really makes a difference. But sadly, I don't have the budget all the time or I choose to spend my money on something else. :D
That's why I got inspired last night to create these cards highlighting the best brow products (mostly expensive) and the affordable dupes that you can grab anytime without sacrificing a week's worth of lunch. And since I mentioned in one of my blog posts that choosing the right brow product is vital to creating a dope brow look, I categorized the products based on the look they give as well!
MAC BROW GEL- P1,200+
PINK SUGAR HONEY I'M GOOD EYEBROW GEL- P349
- If you have lush brows to begin with, you can get away with just brow mascara; opt for a different color to spice up your look. MAC's Brow Gel is arguably one of the best and a certified MUA and consumer favorite because it's lightweight, provides the right hold, and tinted enough to make a difference. I found these characteristics in the humble Pink Sugar eyebrow gel. Girl Boy is also the famous MAC brow gel shade and there's a dupe in Pink Sugar's brow gel called Blonde.
MAKE UP FOR EVER BROW PENCIL- P1,100
MAYBELLINE FASHION BROW 3D CREAM PENCIL- P199
- Shadowy brows scream high fashion and go so well with a heavy smoky eye. If you're digging this look, I suggest get those new brow pencil hybrids that have a scooping side; the scooping side lets you define your brows softly because the area is wider and pigments are more dispersed versus using the precise tip, which gives a more on point, darker coverage. Make Up For Ever is one of the first brands to come up with this and for the affordable version, it's Maybelline.
K-PALETTE REAL LASTING EYEBROW- P845
EVER BILENA ALL DAY BROW PEN- P200
- If you need to fill in sparse areas or simply want a natural- looking, wispy brow, use liquid brow pens because they look more natural, have a softer coverage, and designed to mimic hair strands. K-Palette is definitely the go- to for liquid eyebrow pens for Filipinas, but if you're on a budget, try Ever Bilena.
KISS EYEBROW STAMP- P799
SHEZI EYEBROW STAMP- P400
- If you love the full brow or don't have patience to fill in your problem areas, a brow stamp may work for you. Kiss is the international brand that first released a branded eyebrow stamp, but it's one of those products that can be easily found in China and Shezi is the popular affordable eyebrow stamp that you can find online.
TEVIANT EYEBROW DUO- P995
L'OREAL GENIUS BROW KIT- P550.00
- If you love sporting full brows, make no mistake, choose powder. When I encounter a really good brow powder, I remember it for life; Teviant Eyebrow Duo and L'Oreal Genius Brow Kit top my list because the powders have really good formula: they're pigmented, don't need primers or water to stick properly, and last pretty long.
K-PALETTE LASTING EYEBROW TINT- P895
MAYBELLINE FASHION BROW GEL TINT- P599
- If you literally have no time to fix your brows on a daily basis, then eyebrow tints are made for you. These tints are made to last for 5 days or more on your eyebrows; just leave 'em on for at least two hours before sleeping and don't wash the area until the next day for better longevity. K-Palette is my favorite so far and the affordable version that I can think of is Maybelline's Fashion Brow Gel Tint.
ANASTASIA DIPBROW- P1,300+
BYS BROW GEL- P399
- I love dramatic brows and if you share my sentiments, then say hello to my favorite brow product, the brow pomade. Anastasia Dipbrow is my HG, but BYS brow gel is also good! It's not as soft as Anastasia, but spreadable enough and has ridiculously good staying power too.
ANASTASIA BROW WIZ- P1,465
AUSTRALIS BROW PENCIL- P445
- Feathery brows are one of the best brow trends since last year and to get the look right, you need an eyebrow pencil with a micro tip. Anastasia Brow Wiz is one of the popular micro tip brow pencils and a dupe that I can recommend is Australis Micro Brow Pencil.
BENEFIT GOOF PROOF BROW PENCIL- P1,660
MACYNN SCULPTING PENCIL- P395
- Instagram brows are eye candies; sometimes, I sport a pair myself. To achieve this, I use a pigmented pencil with a sculpted tip; I can actually achieve the look using brow gel, but I use pencil for better control. Benefit Goof Proof Brow Pencil is a big favorite of mine. If you're on a budget, try my new discovery, Macynn Cosmetics' Sculpting Pencil (go to macynn.com).
BENEFIT 24-HR. BROW SETTER- P1,660
HAIR SPRAY- starts at P200!
- If you are blessed with a fantastic pair of brows, then congratulations, you can get away with just clear brow gel to keep strands in place and the overall look, neat. Benefit 24-hr. Brow Setter is the best so far for me because it can keep a hold until the end of the day without the crispy look. And no kidding guys, if you want an affordable version, go for a medium hold hair spray; that should do the trick!
Hope you liked this list! Do you have anything to add to the list?